Guests who don't believe in giving 5 stars.

Answered!
Jillian115
Level 10
Jamestown, CA

Guests who don't believe in giving 5 stars.

I just had a guest who ranked me low on accuracy, cleanliness, location, and value. He and his wife were celebrating 46 years of marriage and had never stayed at an Airbnb. I shouldn't have approved them.

I asked for feedback and let him know, "you can't change your review, but could you share some feedback? For accuracy, I have twenty-two pictures on the listing and with a very detailed description. Location is a surprise because I have the exact location listed and also gave you a heads up on the distance to Yosemite as soon as you booked. But what I am most concerned about is cleanliness because we do not cut any corners there. Anyway, if you could share your thoughts, I would appreciate it. Thanks"

His response was:
'We enjoyed our stay at your place. Your place was very nice, and we would stay again if in the area. Sorry but I never give 5 Stars.'

Haha- stay again...I think not. Guest who don't believe in 5 stars even when it's deserved should not be using airbnb. 

1 Best Answer
Rodney11
Level 9
Toronto, Canada

That's a bummer, when you run into the "I don't believe in 5-star reviews" guest. Any long-term host on this platform has run in to at least one of those. You just need to forget about it and move on, easier said than done I know. Though it is OK to run through the secret pensées d'escalier you have of the clever replies you should have left this guest's review.

When anyone asks me about tips for being an AirBnB host, here are the 4 that I offer:

1. Offer quality space with personality. If you just want to offer clean, safe and warm you may as well be a motel. Put a bit of yourself into your space, guests will appreciate the personal touch. I love cycling so my home and guest rooms feature vintage framed cycling posters and jerseys. I have a skewed, Monty Python sense of humour, so there are things like Buddy Jesus and a rubber ducky display scattered throughout the spaces. I have a friendly German shepherd who likes to greet guests by barking loudly at them, I feature her prominently in my listing photos and brag about her enthusiastic welcome to guests. If you don't like dogs, stay somewhere else.

2. Charge for your quality. Do not strive to be the lowest price offering in your market. You know how much work you put into creating and maintaining your space, make sure you get rewarded for that work.

3. Only use a Strict cancellation policy. Don't let anyone tie up your calendar for months only to cancel at the last minute and get a full refund. Any cancellation policy other than Strict only serves AirBnB's interest, not the hosts.

4. Ask guests for what you need as a host. That includes sending a message at checkout requesting they specifically leave you a 5-star review. 

Based on your listing and reviews, it looks like you've already done a good job of figuring out how to be a great host. Keep up the good work, then good reviews, Superhost status and all that jazz will simply be the outcome of your process.

View Best Answer in original post

44 Replies 44
Susanna0
Level 10
Milan, Italy

The problem is not the guests’ perception of stars: it’s Airbnb’s perception!

A 4-star vote should be considered very good by all. Why Airbnb considers it a bad grade?

This is the thing to be changed!

@Susanna0 yes that’s exactly it. If it wasn’t considered bad by Airbnb it wouldn’t matter. They work hard to encourage bad reviews and make them nearly impossible to overcome.  I don’t want to discriminate based on age but I think AirBnb may be indirectly setting hosts up to do that based on what @M199 stated above. That’s why I try to educate my guests on the rating system. 

I tend to agree with @Susanna0  above. In a sane world, the highest possible rating score is not the baseline for any experience, and it's not considered an act of cruelty for a customer to give the next rating down.  Isn't it normal to find something so completely to your satisfaction that you'd gladly repeat it, while at the same time recognizing that it's not the apex of perfection?  

Airbnb is not in a sane world if you take its manipulations literally. Rather, it's this world:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLc2E4P87QE&ab_channel=fauxalias

That said, your guests were first-time Airbnb users from a generation that believes more in grading on a curve than on giving every kid a trophy for showing up. They'd probably also be puzzled by how much power a listing site has over the minds of its users, that we can get so upset over ratings even after we've been paid in full.

I'm guessing they relate more to Don Draper in this clip:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77Y6CIyyBcI&ab_channel=Marinatin

I don't even need to click through to know that it's Don Draper telling Peggy, "That's what the money's for!"  My mantra, @Anonymous.  Annoyed by entitled millennials and stingy Boomers, fellow hosts?  Raise your nightly price and take payment in lieu of thanks.  😂

@Ann72   It's so iconic!   

Airbnb gets so much mileage out of the insight shared by all the pipsqueak social media billionaires, that while religion may the opiate of the masses, validation is the crystal meth of the masses. Woe be upon anyone who gives an addict 4 grams when they expected 5.

That scene really encapsulates the generational shift into it becoming a currency unto itself. Gen Z is still learning that it wasn't always like that.

@Anonymous  It is so iconic, and I love how you pinpoint the shift there.  The other thing happening in that scene is that Peggy - young womanhood's hope for liberation and independence - went for the thanks over the money.  And we are still paid less than men, partly because women do not ask for money in the same way men do. 

I quite often feel that Airbnb itself would prefer that we work for the thanks over the money.  There is very little understanding of how one can simultaneously wish to be a good host who makes guests as happy as possible AND wish to be paid as well as possible.

@Ann72  What's amazing is how well "thanks-over-money" is working for Airbnb.  How many times a day do we see a comment like

"I worked so hard to become a Superhost"

Imagine that:  thousands of people busting their butts to please a machine in exchange for automated praise and the promise of "status."  Well, Huxley had already imagined it pretty well almost a century ago... 

Yes, @Anonymous, these hosts have it backwards.  They need to make the platform serve their needs, their properties, and their bank accounts.  It's very easy to do but you have to get your need for praise and status out of the way first.  Honestly, the Superhost badge is about the same as those participation trophies you mentioned earlier.

@Ann72   Thank you! You've perfectly summed up what I was thinking in the most succinct terms.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ann72 

Ann, I am here partly because, at my age I still want to feel useful! I still want to feel I have something to contribute to society....I want to feel like a worthwhile human being.

I don't have it backwards, I need to have the platform serve my needs, and it does!

It gives me a monetary reward, it gives me a communication reward.

@Anonymous  I did (an do) work hard for my Superhost, it keeps a lot of lovely people come to my door. Just this evening I have bowled over a couple of bottles of nice red up here in the mancave with my current guests.

Am I selling my soul? no way, I am selling my heart.....and I am loving it!

Cheers......Rob

We were not of course talking about you @Robin4 - although we think about you every minute of every day, I assure you!  😂😘

"...one can simultaneously wish to be a good host who makes guests as happy as possible AND wish to be paid as well as possible."

No one said anything about selling your soul.

You know your needs and you are making the platform serve your needs.  That's what's important.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ann72  @Anonymous 

When I talk about feeling useful, I am active on another site where I get paid to answer questions! When I say 'I get paid'  I get one US cent per up-vote.....not a pathway to riches but I have over 1400 answers and they are all gaining me an up-vote or two now and then, But, I have a few that are my stars!

This one has had 1 million views and has gained me 56,596 up- votes....that's over $700 AUS

https://www.quora.com/Have-you-ever-had-previous-or-original-owners-of-the-house-that-you-live-in-come-back-and-try-to-visit-their-old-home-Did-you-feel-inconvenienced-or-intruded-upon-How-much-did-you-allow-them-to-explore-How-did-they/answer/Robin-Shannon-7?

Doing something like this keeps me focused and gives me a purpose in life.

Cheers.......Rob

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Ann72 @Anonymous 

Frankly, I don't give a **bleep** about whether we have "superhost" status or not. I don't care much about our star ratings (exceptions below). 

However, I'm running a business, in a highly competitive environment. I realise it's different everywhere, but I can assure you, that in our patch, that there are tangible, measurable benefits to maintaining high ratings. Not just star ratings, but the reviews themselves. They need to be glowing. 

Clientele in our patch are well aware of various scams and over-promises. There are endless stories of disaster holidays where people booked a lovely villa and on arrival, it was a either a dump, or didn't even exist. It's far less of an occurrence nowadays, as new laws and standards have been imposed and enforced, and booking platforms have become more sophisticated, but the legends are still there. 

So, I can assure you that the clientele look very closely at the description and the reviews. They're incredibly important for guest confidence. They're laying out significant money. They want to be assured it's not in vain. 

I've always said that focusing on profit generally will ultimately result in profit decline. If you instead focus on guest satisfaction, then you ultimately won't have to worry about the money. It will come. And so far (notwithstanding the pandemic, which threw everything out of kilter), it's been a winning philosophy for us. 

The only indication of a commitment to guest satisfaction is the reviews. And even during the pandemic, we had bookings. Less than usual, but we got bookings. Others we know weren't so lucky. It was a direct consequence of our ratings. 

Add to that the search rankings. In our patch, we are at a distinct disadvantage. We aren't on the beach. We aren't next to a major attraction. We're in the middle of the island. You can't walk to the beach or the strip. We should be struggling to get even 2/3 of our price. But with our 4.8 - 5.0 average star rating, and plenty of great reviews, we consistently show up on page 1 or 2 of any search for "Mallorca". Yes, we make it clear that we aren't near the beach or any "strip", but we also outline the benefits of countryside seclusion, and there are many - particularly during the pandemic.

Yet the fact that we're exposed to a much broader audience due to our rankings, very often encourages people to reconsider whether being on the beach or next to the strip is the best solution, especially for families. Some of our reviews even reflect that.. "We were surprised to discover an entirely different and even better experience away from the resorts". Yeah, guests have said things like that in their reviews. It has an effect. 

So yes, rankings and reviews are very important. We work very hard at making sure our guests experience something better than expected. Even though it often impacts our profits. And most of our guests see and respect that. And that keeps the good reviews coming in. And as side benefit, even profits. 

The downside is when they are incapable of seeing or respecting the hard work that goes into keeping them comfortable and happy, choosing to break the rules, cause damage, trash the place, book for two, bring 4 or 6, and then pretend it's insignificant, or it never happened. That's personally insulting. 

But it's just the nature of the beast. You get them sometimes, and there's little you can do about it. You can only try to avoid it by being as careful as possible. If you fail at that (easy to do), you just have to take the bad with the good. Nature of the beast. 

@Elaine701   By no means would I dispute that earning high consumer ratings and positive reviews has tangible benefits. But of course, the relative impact of a single rating declines as they accumulate. Of your two listings, an outlier review would register much more strongly on the one with 8 reviews than the one with 69. Once you're up over 100 ratings, your aggregate score should have earned you a firewall against an individual middling rating, which has no perceptible impact.

I say should,  because that's where the Superhost thing puts a thumb on the scale:  you can have a tremendous reputation dating back several years, fantastic ratings and reviews all around, but no way is Airbnb going to let you rest on your laurels:  you have to be constantly reminded that the only time frame that matters for this distinction is the past 12 months. Therefore there's no cumulative merit, no value for a consistent and sturdy reputation, and if you're not delivering a high volume of offset bookings in a short time frame, even after 10 years of consistent quality, it still only takes one revenge review to throw you off that podium. The anxiety this induces in hosts who care about their badge is very beneficial to Airbnb, but for hosts it's nothing but a tedious distraction with little reward.

Customers tend to notice the volume of reviews at least as much as the average rating - a listing with 500 reviews and a 4.8 average will look like a much safer bet than one with 5 reviews and a 5.0 average. The average person can intuitively weigh the value consistency and experience against an odd blemish; the algorithm is programmed to do exactly the opposite.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Anonymous 

Oh, I have to agree with all of that. It's clear that a business of the scale of Airbnb necessarily defines policy and strategy solely on the calculation of the impact on itself, and naturally, often disregards the impact it has on its suppliers. That's just business. That's not an endorsement by the way, because as one of those suppliers, I'm also a victim of it.

Having said that, and perhaps seeming abnormally cynical, I'm still a big believer in delivering a fair and honest, good quality product which represents value to both the seller AND the buyer. If Airbnb or anyone else gets in the way of that, I'm forced to engage in closer control of my distribution channels, and find workarounds to any obstacles they erect 🙂 

Oh, and you already know why we have two listings. We only spun the 2nd listing off last year after struggling with the different pricing models, so, yes, only 8 reviews so far. It's another "workaround" to one of those "obstacles" 🙂