The concept of a one night surcharge

The concept of a one night surcharge

I find it very difficult to clearly convey to guests that we charge a slightly higher rate, a surcharge, for a one night stay.

Many properties don't allow a one night stay so, in doing so, we are trying to comfortably accommodate the many folk who are passing through, don't have much time and so need to stay just overnight.

However, given the way that most websites are designed ie with the price shown as so much per night, it is sometimes quite difficult as folk note the price shown very obviously on the listing but choose not to read on where we do describe our one night surcharge.

So, then I have to explain and, for a few people, this comes as a surprise.

Perhaps airbnb can have a one night stay charge tag or section which is more obvious and clearly 'up front'.

Thank you.

28 Comments
Andrew51
Level 3

Good idea.

Norbert9
Level 2

Wonderful idea!  Such one-night guests actually create a lot of hassle and so the amount of work required is usually substantial compared to the income generated.  Great point!

Ruth71
Level 2

I agree. A good idea.

Nina12
Level 1

Good idea! 

Yvette13
Level 2

I second this! 

Louise66
Level 2

Good idea -  when providing accommodation for one night you are possibly losing income for a whole week because the one night stay splits up the week.

Daphne1
Level 2

I also agree that this a good idea, it is more work having lots of guests staying just one night. Especially when you've just got the room ready for a guest who's coming in a day or two and then someone squeezes in a 1 night stay (although very welcome) it means more laundry to do

Sheryl8
Level 2

Yes I agree.. Its been in my mind lately about having one night stays eg: more work involved. I have now put a 2 night minimum stay in my description info so it will be interesting to see if people take any notice..

Been thinking about this as well lately. One nighters are quite labor intensive and require more work instead multiple nights. If you put requirement on two nights minimum you loose out.

Daphne1
Level 2

My listing does say minimum 2 nights but I still get quite a few 1 night bookings because of my location. I can't turn them down because overall bookings have gone down and it is very hard to know why...