Writing a Story on What Guests do That Drive Hosts Crazy and Need Feedback!

Amber1
Level 7
Key West, FL

Writing a Story on What Guests do That Drive Hosts Crazy and Need Feedback!

Hi everyone-

I work as a travel writer and my editor has asked that I write a piece on the top things that guests do that Airbnb hosts hate.

Yes, it's a click-bait article but it is for a major publication, so there is some potential here for it to serve as a guide to prevent some of the common things that frustrate us.

After hosting more than 300 guests, I know that NOT READING the description is on my list! 

What's on yours? Thanks in advance!!

32 Replies 32

Challenges with guests.
1. Bleaching or dying their hair in one of my bathrooms and staining our towels.
2. Putting wet shoes in the dryer (at 5:00am and waking up the whole house).
3. People who rent one of our rooms who are terrified of dogs (picture of dog in profile, listing shows dogs live here, mentioned in listing several times, first message to them is to make sure they know we have dogs) and then INSIST on us locking our dogs out of our house while they are here. If someone is scared of dogs don't stay with us.
4. People who request a room and we respond with in 10 minutes and they have already booked elsewhere. Make one request at a time people! Don't waste our time.
5. People who need to modify the dates of their stay and never accept the date modification and then get upset when the room books on the extra day they wanted.
6. Lack of communication. Tell us who is coming (number and names) and when you are going to arrive so we can be ready to serve you.
7. Of course the holy grail... Not reading the listing.

Hope those help. We would love to see the piece you write! V
Amber1
Level 7
Key West, FL

Host who have Minimum night standards- Are people constantly messaging you asking for less than your minimum night requirement? Do you allow exceptions? Thoughts?

Merrill0
Level 3
Oakland, CA

Not exactly a complaint, but I now show people from other countries how to sleep between the sheets. It's not a universal practice, I guess, but I don't think I should have to wash blankets for every guest and if guests sleep between the sheets instead on on top on the top sheet, then the blankets should be clean. Or am I wrong? An actual complaint that I have is when people clog up the shower screen with their own hair and rather than clear it out (I have papertowels in there for that) when the shower stops draining, they just move the screen to the side. There is some major HAIR out there people, and it's not all staying on heads!

Brittany1
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Great question and great story idea! you will have to post a link to it once it's done.

Ok, I've been hosting 3 places for 2 years now so I've pretty much encountered everything. In addition to the ones already mentioned....

1. Rearranging furniture and moving artwork. I have found a small painting I keep on my dresser placed in and next to the dresser multiple times.

2. Breaking things and not telling me. Have found broken dishes in the garbage a few times.

3. Overflowing garbage, especially bathroom (EWWW) (even though it's in our rules to take out your own trash).

4. Bleached pillow cases from acne/facial creams!! Not only does it ruin the pillow case it also ruins the other items in the wash. A fellow host I know included, "no peroxide facial products on her house rules", LOL.

5. Arriving early even though I clearly state in my rules and again in my day of check-in instructions letter that we will not accept anyone until after 2:00 pm.

6. Finding that someone had a potato chip fight in the apartment. No but really how else can there be crums in every room in the house.

7. Guests who want 24/7 concierge service yet decided to rent an airbnb. I love hosting but I have a life. If you use 10 rolls of toilet paper in three days there is a grocery one block away and I will even reimburse you. But seriously I did my part by having a fully stocked tp drawer.

I could go on and on but I don't want to seem like a complainer. I love my job and I love hosting. : )

You don't sound like a complainer.  We get it. 

RE: "the arriving early even though I clearly state in my rules and again in my day of check-in instructions letter that we will not accept anyone until after 2:00 pm." I get this. 

The breaking stuff is maddening. People are scared we are going to dock them for ripping off a vinyl shower curtain or something. I should add that one of my boats kayaking to reach it...so by the time I get there I don't want any surprises. 

Arriving early particularly when they don't tell us, or just showing up three hours after they checked out because they forgot something and just coming onboard the boat.  My boyfriend and I don't get much "alone time" constantly hosting and that can lead to an awkward situation with people just popping up before/after the set times. LOL. 

Andrew90
Level 10
New York, NY

Even though have a detailed manual and instructions I don't mind answering the questions. The #1 thing I find most important is communication.  If I send a question and dont' get responses it drives me crazy as there is usually a reason why I'm asking. 

Trashing the place (unreasonably messy) and/or damaging the property, getting noise compliants form my neighbors etc...

Andrew

Andrew - see community help guides for many great FAQ
Amanda106
Level 2
El Paso, TX

Throwing throw pillows on the floor!! Ewwww!!!!!
Dee9
Level 10
Moriches, NY

Well maybe mine are not that common but they have happened to me more than once!

- People having mail or packages sent to my home without even asking me if it was okay, and then mail continuing to come for them even AFTER they checked out!

- Stealing rolls of toilet paper, or taking the guest shampoos/conditioners home with them

- And, Im sorry but this is my own personal pet peeve - taking extra showers. For example 3 paid nites equals 3 paid showers, etc. You dont get to take an "extra" shower on the day of check-out.

Now I charge a fuel fee for guests that take extra showers.

- Lastly, the infamous "guests dont read the entire ad"

Selina6
Level 1
Bath, United Kingdom

- As I'm writing guests are just arriving at 11pm after me telling them I have work at 4am! No contact all day and I had to ask if they were even going to arrive.

- Bringing - and insisting on playing - a guitar. Out of about 20 stays, about three have brought it along with them. Seems like too high a number. We're not a massive bungalow so you hear quite a lot. I didn't want to hear one guy serenading his girlfriend.

- That same serenader also got a bit too touchy feely in the kitchen within sight of other people. We're English and endlessly reserved but seems like a bit much.

- Blatantly wrong reviews: happy to accept criticisms as our place is getting pretty old but one chap said there was only one photo on our listing whereas there are actually nine. Could have been a technical issue on his end but don't leave a review on something like that. And why would you book off the basis of one photo anyway?

Don't want to get nit picky though and you should suggest a follow-up piece about some of the joys of hosting as well! Have plenty of stories for that. 🙂

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Amber1 - which publication are you a 'travel writer' for?

Are you going to actually quote hosts who message you here?

Always useful as a journalist to provide context when you request information.

I write for several, and I won't be quoting anyone. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Amber1 

Thanks for coming back. Let me try again, perhaps my question wasn't as clear as it could be. As you write for several  publications - which one is this particular article for?

Thanks Helen

Hi Helen-

I understand the question, but I have not finalized my contract yet and do not wish to disclose the name of the publication until it is official. 

Ronnie5
Level 2
United States

I have had really good luck with people for the most part.  But, the one problem I did have was a guest booking for 3 people,  5  show up but guest does not want to pay for the extra guests.   I will never NEVER take another guest that does not have pior Air BnB excellent reviews.

Not reading the list of what is available.

Trying to gain access or just taking access to the kitchen when it is not available

Requests through email for items not available & they don't want to pay extra!

Expecting you to be at home at the time that suits for them to arrive, not even asking if the time suits you.