[Guide] Keeping listing disputes under control

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

[Guide] Keeping listing disputes under control

Too often we see disputes between guests and hosts over Listing expectations. These days with the resolution centre can seem more reluctant to accept a hosts word when a dispute arrises, I do the following.

I have prepared a laminated checklist and as I go, I do things in the order and tic each item with a texta marker.

When complete I also have an non laminated copy which I duplicate, date and photograph, and this gets placed inside the cover of the house rules to indicate these items have been attended too before the guest for that date has arrived.

Checklist bitmap 2.png

This sheet forms the elements that a guest will see and form some opinion on!

I explain in a lighthearted way to guests that with the onset of age one can easily overlook some triviality and this is my way of remembering to do everything.

I also have a similar sheet which refers to the mechanics of the cottage.

1/. Is the hot water service turned on and hot.

2/. Are the drains free from obstructions.

3/. Do the door and window locks operate correctly.

4/. Are the blinds and curtains in good condition.

5/. Are the exhaust fans working and free of lint.

Once you get into a routine it doesn't take long to do these things and it does tend to give the guest confidence that you are serious about what you are doing, and that this might possibly not be the listing to try out for a 'freebie'!!

Cheers.....Rob

35 Replies 35
Em4
Level 10
Franz Josef Glacier, New Zealand

Yes it was intended for you Rob.  And also intended not as an offer inside BNB.  Not offered as a discounted stay either.  Just offered as someone who likes the sound of you, and thinks we'd get on well.  Not every one who stays with me, has to pay in order to stay.  RE business, I probably don't need advice.  And anyway it wouldn't be absolutely free.  I would be expecting to be able to tap in to your wealth of BNB and hosting knowledge.

Em4
Level 10

oh ps...i wouldn't be expecting you to stay more than a couple of nights.  laughing.  although i could imagine that if i made the same offer to some others in here, there'd be a bad review after i kicked them out. 

but yes i can see how it could get tricky in terms of reciprocation.  when i travel, i tend to travel to europe.  i'm rarely in oz. 

the offer remains. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@ Thanks Christine, you offer sounds wonderful.....

Cheers....Rob

Em4
Level 10

oh just about the couple of nights scenario.  i was just meaning its difficult to know what people would find to do here for more than three days.  but obviously there are always extenuating circumstances.  i do have a room with a wheelchair access bathroom.  BNB is just a kind of a 'thing' for me.  i have a very full time job but always make time for family and friends. 

Luigi27
Level 8
Malaysia

How can you be able to offer eggs, milk, fruit, brie cheese (and if guest dont like brie why dont you offer camanbert??), fruit juice, Corona , dry cider, water, sugar, coffee, biscuits, jam, butter, honey, spread, 3 packet soups (???), bread and bowl of soup?

Are you a Red Cross charity organization or a UN Refugees camp?

By the way If I were you I would add on a bottle of champagne (French of course) ... to welcome your guests!

Thats incredible!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Luigi27  You have to do your preparation with a budget in mind. Despite what I offer I would never spend more than $7.50 pr evening on a booking. I have a very good relationship with Beerenberg and get sample pots of jams and honey at no charge. I buy seconds from woodside Brei and Camembert cheese at well under half the supermarket cost because there may be a small tear in the packaging! I but 4 packs of Dove soap from 'Cheap as Chips' at $2.00 per pack so that works out to be 50 cents per cake of soap. Crackers are supermarket own brand and a $1.50 box would last for 5 lots of guests. Fruit juice I buy in 24 packs for $6.00....that's 25 cents per pack. Packaged personal fruit tubs are the same. We always have a selection of bacon and eggs in the house and a couple of rashes of bacon and two eggs is a negligable cost! I buy a 24 carton of beer when there is a two for one special, or some other great deal and remember, when you are supplying one per guest a carton goes a long way.

The other thing is, on only two occasions has a guest used everything that I offer. In general a guest will use what they would like, not just consume it because its there! It's a bit like a smorgasbord meal, you take what you want, you don't clean the table off!!

Although I did detect a note of cynicism in your post Luigi, it is possible to provide and excellent selection of extras on a very limited budget. If you read my reviews, all will say that the supplied no charge extras were outstanding.

It all helps get that great review.....and Luigi, isn't that what we are all after.

Incidentally I do have a selection of wines featuring reds, whites and sparking in the cottage and if someone wants a bottle we will work out something that does not contravene the selling of liquor without a licence. There are ways!

Cheers.....Rob

I am having good reviews without being a charity-free-of-charge ! Most of my extra are paid services. I don't see any problem asking guests to pay for what they want extra. If they go to any other bed and breakfast they dont find free brie cheese and beers! Come on...!

I am barely recovering my costs with the basic Airbnb rates and adding this huge unecessary free list is not helpful and will be a great lost of money. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Luigi27 I am not saying it's for everyone Luigi, it's just something I do! If it's not for you, financialy or in other ways, then fine, pass it by, nobody is forcing you! But don't attempt to humiliate me for what makes me a Superhost....the formula is right for me!

Cheers....Rob 

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Luigi27

I think all of us hosts find out what works best for us, and as is the case with most things in life it's the context that makes the difference.

Many rent in the middle of a tourist hotspot, so can manage to have a fully-booked accommodation without all the fringe benefits or without even being a super host. Other areas are not as hugely sought after, so a host who wants to stand out better might choose to go the extra mile to attract bookings. A rental in an urban setting with an excessive infrastructure of supermarkets and eateries also won't require supplying food, whereas renting in a smaller community or the countryside that same gesture would be worth so much more. It may just add that little extra bit of caring for overall guest satisfaction

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

And by the way @Luigi27 it's not exactly fair to lash out at another host simply because you may not agree with them.

If you look at @Robin4's reviews you'll see they reflect very high personal appreciations of their stay in which the personal touch was something they valued. Robin isn't a super host for nothing and he would probably also not be happy to simply rent out a space without a certain... call it pride or joy in real hosting of guests, even if the rest of the stay is hands off. And for what it's worth I always value his experienced and balanced input in the community postings. 

I myself  don't offer all the cafes in my neighborhood more competition by supplying breakfast or food, but I do have a small table with amenities in the room for making coffee and tea. It's all in the cost, and I'd rather have happy guests than more-or-less satisfied ones  🙂

If I simply rented out a unit that wasn't part of my private home I would probably do things differently, who knows!

First of all I am free to express my opinion when and how I want. I am shocked to read this forum and find some hosts try very hard to be at the same time an hotel, a restaurant, a limousine company, a taxi, a tour operator, a tour guide, a bar, a pub, a massage parlor and so on. I am sorry but this is completlely illegal without licenses, insurances and authorizations. Not the core business model of Airbnb. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Luigi27.....Luigi, you are 100% right, you are free to express your opinion....but mate, so am I!!

I did not start this thread to be lambasted by hosts who's only desire is to screw as much money out of a guest as is humanly possible!

I started it to give those hosts who DO care about going the extra mile, an insight into ways to improve what they do.

You do have some good reviews Luigi...but you also have a host cancellation, and that would be the 'kiss of death' to me, as it would be to many other prospective guests!!!

You do what you do Luigi, and I will do what I do....

Thanks @Andrea9....there are some things that are indefensible....and I guess this is one of those!

Cheers....Rob

Kiss of death haha com on you are getting personal now!

The cancellation is abiding to all Airbnb regulations and it is in the sole interest of my guests. I dont have to explain here why.

Sorry sir (or mate) you started this thread with a ridicoulous list of things to provide to guests.

In my opionion brie cheese is hilarious (why brie and not mozzarella, lerdammer, ricotta,.....?).

If you make a list of what you can give free of charge if will be a enless story (you give eggs why not sausages as well, you give thoothbrushes why not condom for the poor guests then... etc.etc.etc) and there are hundred of threads dabating this issue with a variety of positions.

In any case, in my opinion, offering beers is illegal in Europe, in Asia and in Australia as well. I am 100% sure that this business model will move towards worlwide rules and regulations much more stringent. Including security and terrorist issues as in China and in Dubai are already in place. What about if Al Baghdadi is renting an Airbnb apartment? Who is giving this information to intelligence and police around the world? This is a jungle at the moment and I am happy to have found my safe tree for the time being.

I am not interested to escalate this debate any further.

Cheers mate, have a Corona on me!

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Luigi27

You're absolutely right that the core business model of Airbnb has changed. 

They themselves have even gone from the original idea of renting out spare air mattresses and welcoming guests in one's home to pushing Instant Book as default search mode to make more money.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Andrea9....Well, have you ever come across anything quite like that before??

I can't quite understand how a perfect stranger could become so aggresive to someone who has no interest in their affairs. I didn't start this thread aimed at him...he was the one who jumped in with his sarcastic comments!

But, as I have said before....it takes all sorts to make this world.

I guess it did teach me one thing Andrea...where absolutely NOT to book when in Malaysia!!

Cheers....Rob