Minimum age requirement

Eileen4
Level 10
Champlain, Canada

Minimum age requirement

Because of Airbnb's new non-discrimination policy, I was told I could not request a minimum age. I was told to go off Instant Book, but as I've experienced it, when I do, I get far fewer requests and bookings. I'm sure that Instant Book is what is allowing me to be booked as often as I am.

I have a two bedroom, six person condo and I often attract groups of students. Most of them are fine, especially if they are university or grad students and come in groups of 3 or 4. But going up to six and having them all be about 18 is worrisome. I know my fellow co-owners in the building will not be happy if I end up renting to this sort of clientele on a regular basis. (I had a group of five high school girls in last year--booked by one of their mothers who promised they'd be good--and I got complaints). I am being tolerated now, but that could change. 

The problem, of course, is that my place is very attractive to groups of young people because sharing the cost makes it cheaper than a hostel. I've dropped the number of people down to five and put an extra charge for the sixth person, but I'm wondering if there are other ways to discourage this type of clientele without turning off instant book. 

Has anyone had any experience with raising the damage deposit? Or doing the damage deposit outside of Airbnb? I'm trying to find a way to swing this so that I can stay booked without having to be a nail-biting host when a group of teens book my place. I do like young people, but having been in the long term rental business for most of my life, I know that many of the worst experiences I had were with students. They simply don't have the same level of consciousness when it comes to cost of things and their level of awareness about what constitutes damage, generally speaking, is poorly formed. (It's why car insurance is more expensive for them too, I imagine.) I did have a group of older students in last week and found three points of damage, two of which they went to great pains to hide. 

Does anyone think that raising the damage deposit and pointing it out in the description will work? I have had students write to me before they book asking me about it. (It's set at $500 for an upscale rental.) Some of them don't book because of it. 

I put up an age minimum and was contacted by Airbnb and asked to remove it. 

Anyone else struggling with this? 

20 Replies 20
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

In no particular order:

Third party booking are not allowed, the person booking needs to be 18 plus

You seem to have a cheap price, upping it and have a minimum number of nights may help.

Security Deposit, well enforcing it is tricky but a chunky one may scare them off.

Proximity, if they know they are being watched and somebody is close by.

Some have suggested cameras, you do not want a mega party going one without knowing about it.

David

This is what I've written in my basic descriptions:

This location is recommended for families and couples as the building is a quiet, family-oriented one. It is also very safe for single guests who are traveling on their own. Although I do welcome groups of young people who are here to explore Montreal--I live in a very convenient and historical district--you may be happier elsewhere if your primary goal is to sample the nightlife.

You mentioned originally a fine, that is not enforcable and you have no control over the security deposit.

David

No, I don't have control over the damage deposit. But I don't think that should stop me from mentioning this. 

Mention it, may scare some away.

David
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @David126, I recently turned down a request from two 16 year old boys. If the person booking needs to be over 18, why was this 16 year old allowed to create his own account and send a booking request? Surely Airbnb shouldn't let that happen.

I also just turned down a booking from a 19 year old because she was travelling with her sister who is only 15. I just didn't want the responsibility. I can see why the 19 year old (as opposed to the 16 year old above) was able to send the requset, but she also told me that anyone over 12 is classified as an adult by Airbnb!

I'd be interested to know if there is a setting we can choose in booking options to only accept bookings from over 18s. All I can see is a 'may not be suitable for children aged 2-12'.

I presume they only check against ID when the ID is verified.

I am on a couple of forums and never put my real DoB down.

David

I actually spoke to another host last night and he gave me some information about the powers that public security officers have in my city, as in how they are allowed to ticket people for noise infractions. He's also in a condo building and has similar concerns, so he gave me his write-up and I modified it to fit my listing. I'm not going to post it here, but if you go to my rules section, on my listing, you'll see it there. It's strongly worded, but as he told me last night, we need to be honest about possible consequences of partying behaviour. 

The problem is that I live in a building where residents of two units--ie two couples--actually stopped renting condos that were in buildings where they believed a lot of short term rentals were in operation. I only have the one resident's word for it, but he told me that he believed several units were like that and that the indoor swimming pool became virtually unusable at times because of all the children and unsupervised teens in the building. (The building only had studio and one bedroom condos, so most were owned by single people or couples.) There's no pool here, and there are a lot of kids so families are a great fit for me, but it's groups of partyers that I worry about, especially with my city's well-known night club scene.

I did allow a group of five high school girls to be booked in by one girl's mother. But the only reason I allowed it--she asked in advance--was because the mother herself was an Airbnb host and she promised me that the girls were good and would behave. I was on holiday, but asked another resident to meet and greet and let them know he was there to help. When I got back, he, another resident, and my cleaner, all told me it had been a bad idea. So renting to very young people can be a problem.

The thing is, if I were a parent, I would actually want my kids to go to a hotel where there are security cameras and people around 24/7 to help if there's an emergency. I wouldn't want them in an apartment in a strange city where they may not know who to contact for help. In that sense, Airbnb IS better for more independent travelers, but I suppose the savings are what convince people that it's okay. The fact is that if six people share the cost of my condo, it's cheaper than a hostel. So that's my problem. 

At any rate, I've used this other host's write up (but as I say, in modified form) and apparently, in his conversations with public security officers, he was surprised to learn that they have the power to issue personalized tickets, which are handed to residents (or in my case, guests) and are not left for hosts to reclaim via the damage deposit. He told me that getting photographs of each guest's ID makes writing the tickets easier. I've taken his advice and that's made me feel a lot better. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Eileen4 

Instead of: 

Although I do welcome groups of young people who are here to explore Montreal--I live in a very convenient and historical district--you may be happier elsewhere if your primary goal is to sample the nightlife.

I would write

I live in a very quite convenient and historical district without any night life close by. Neighbours are olderly people who prefer peace and quite.

...or something like that 🙂

The problem is that there are a lot of things to do close by. There is a street where there are tons of very good restaurants. I wouldn't want to put other people off, although I do think what you've written (were it true) sounds better, so thanks. 

Maria-Lurdes0
Level 10
Union City, NJ

HI @Eileen4  I agree with the comments posted below, and I'd add a few things.  If you don't already have some kind of surveillance camera, get one.   I use the Ring video doorbell on a number of my properties and it's awesome.  I even use in an apartment building, on the casing of the apartment door.   I know it seems dumb to have this doorbell on the apartment door, but I don't care, it's there for a video connection, not really to be used as a doorbell.   At least this way you can monitor the activity.  I would disclose in the listing "the exterior of the unit has security cameras".  Also, I'd add to the listing description language about how you are always around, you have a best friend next door, etc. Anything to indicate that this is not an isolated place where people can get away with stuff.   You are basically indicating to party people to move along to another listing, but doing so with careful wording as to not scare off legitimate great guests.

Good luck to you!

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Eileen4  You have gotten great feedback from some of the best host contributors on this forum. @Branka-and-Silvia0@Maria-Lurdes0@David126.   I can't really add except to support that when any of us feel oppressed by Air BNB rules or platform limitations, we often can count on other hosts to help us figure it out.  

@Linda108 Yes, I can see that and I'm very grateful for the help. However, I talked to a host in my city last night. He's up on the latest municipal bylaws, so he was a great help to me. 

@Linda108 @Huma0 @Maria-Lurdes0 Would you guys mind looking at my rules and giving me some private feedback via the messaging system? I'd really appreciate it--no pressure though.