How do I remove a slanderous review

Elizabeth290
Level 3
Bryn Mawr, PA

How do I remove a slanderous review

I just had a guest check out who left a nasty review.  Amongst other untruths, she stated that my husband is creepy, and that we watch our guests.  Untrue!  

All my other reviews are 5 star, and this review changes that and makes us look really bad.  How can I get it taken down?

Please help!

137 Replies 137

@Elizabeth290

Keep at it - and tell your story (edited of course) and ask for Airbnb help on facebook and twitter.... they respond much faster on those formats....

And perhaps you could mention (mention only) that you have asked your attorney if this should be handled directly with guest Rachel...... and that also might prompt a speedier response.

Best Wishes.

Hi Rachael,

I going to use your suggestion.  Would I post to the page that just says "Airbnb"?  There seem to be a lot of forums on Facebook.

So I should tell a condensed version of the story.  Do I mention that I have been waiting for a response from Airbnb for over a week?

Should I ask readers if I should consult an attorney?  Or just state that I am thinking of contacting an attorney to see if it can be handled directly?

Thank you for all your help and suggestions!  

Really, it's great.

Elizabeth

@Elizabeth290

its airbnbhelp at facebook - but I think your best bet is twitter (I dont have an account - but if you don't either it would be worth doing it just for this) there was another host who just posted success in getting help and a reply from the twitter airbnbhelp abd she had a serious theft and couldnt get anywhere for over 8 days by email and telephone - but got a reply in 2 hrs on twitter. Go figure.

google the address and try that. And go ahead and say you have already talked to your attorney - and he is working on a response if Airbnb wont help. Go Bold!

Good Luck and keep in touch.

Rachael

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Quickest way for a response is via their Twitter help account. 

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

So sorry that you have been exposed to ugly sexism.  Unfortunately, it is rampant.

From an early age men have been trained that we are potential rapists/easy marks and so must tiptoe around when dealing with women's intimate space.

Women have been trained that they can feign victimization to manipulate a situation. The victimization may be real or imagined without being slanderous. "I felt unfortable with him."... "He seemed to look at me too much" ... "A man should never...."

It is ugly and it is tiresome, but it is reality.

Through Airbnb the hope is these stereotypes and abuses become destroyed - but the problem is very large to tackle.

As hosts we can not discriminate, but guests can do so and do so legally.

Yes, it's a problem.  

We have decided that if I can't be there myself, I will get a friend to go over when it's a group of women.  

I had checked Rachel in, but was out of town when she checked out.  I had let Rachel know that this was the case when I greeted her.

Being new to Airbnb, it's a real disappointment to find out this is how things work. 

It's certainly an issue with social media.  Can't be too careful.

Rachel/or friend had actually broken a blind.  We had decided it wasn't worth it to bring attention to it, so didn't put it in her review.  And when we got her review, I didn't mention it then because I didn't want to seem vindictive.  Guess I've learned a couple of things here!

Elizabeth, do not contribute to sexism.  Do not have a female friend go there.  You Husband didn't do anything wrong.  Demand that they leave on time, and fine them if they don't.  Your review was correct. 

Stephen

@Elizabeth290

Yes, hosting is a large learning curve! But enjoy the ride - it does have its upside.

With regard to the broken blind - here's a few tips for the future if you ever do want to mention or deal with damage (or wear and tear which is sometimes what blinds come under..)

Have a comprehensive inventory list of all items, appliances and equipment in the property - along with date of purchase, receipts and previous repair. Obviously you may not be able to complete all the info but it is a good base to work from. Then take photographs of each room and cabinet contents before each rental. Every time! And then, should any damage occur, ask the guest if they were responsible and get an answer, one way or another. All this should happen before you make either a statement in your review, or a claim to Airbnb. Seems excessive right? I mean why shouldn't you be able to just tell Airbnb what was broken right? Well not these days. You will have to be able to prove it was there, prove when it happened, prove who did it and provide original purchase receipts and written estimates on replacement/repair.    

Phew!  Lot of effort - for what might not even turn out to be any return at all, or perhaps only 10% of what the original cost was.

So - my motto is 'prevention rather than cure' and if you want to avoid (most of the time) that kind of headache - look after the items in the property, keep them in good shape, remove them when they are not, test and check everything, don't keep any family heirlooms, expensive items, personal keepsakes in the property unless you really don't mind them getting broken or stolen. And then be cool about it when it does (not very often but sometimes accidents do happen). If you want to claim - check your own insurance first..... most will not cover your Airbnb rentals - but some are beginning to and it may be worth researching that and changing over. But do not rely on Airbnb - they are not your insurance policy.

(I know you did not ask for all this! and I hope it doesn't come across as a lecture - just spelling it out here in the hopes it might help another host avoid an issue before it even happens. 🙂  

So thank you @Elizabeth290 for the opportunity - and good luck with this one - keep on pushing Airbnb to respond and to at least edit the guest's review (and your response) - I bet that Airbnb will do that (remove the unprovable accusatory statements from your guest's review). Remember - Twitter works well in getting a response.

Best Wishes.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Rachael26

Look at you....level 7 in no time at all! I can see I am going to be knocked off my perch in the blink of an eye. It's infectious though, isn't it. You really do like to think you are helping....and Rachael, you are!

Cheers.....Rob

I'm not sure I agree that you need a female to check women in or out. Think about if they travelled anywhere else! Don't be too hard on yourselves is what I'm suggesting.

Sue244
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Had a bad review from a guy who did not stay at my place he cancelled 1 day before and asked for a refund I make full refunds 7 days prior to arrival if cancelled I want it removed how do i do this? what a creep? I see other folk have had the same problem. Airbnb should have in place no reviews if the persons have cancelled? surely?

@Sue244

Did he cancel through the system? Should not be able to review if he did.

David
Susan612
Level 8
United States

Hello, a violation of Air Bnb review policy is " reviews that don't represent the authors personal experience of that of their travel companion"

if I understand the situation correctly could it not be concluded that because Elizabeth's house does not have indoor surveillance that by the guest stating the house does, does not reflect their experience? 

Michele373
Level 1
Huntington Beach, CA

I have had a pleasant experience with Airbnb until my last experience that was with Vanessa. She left a  bad review because I declined her offer. She asked if I wanted to stay another night , she would give me a free nite plus I could charge my electronics, in always on the road. This is why I asked to charge my item, she asked for 10 .00 which I gave her, next morning she wanted more. She didn't know it would take that long, she says. Her extension cord had a short, and her behavior was off. She was sitting up in the kitchen, the other airing guest asked her what she is doing, waiting for my new roomie, she says. I had to submit my work the other roomate had to have all the lights out so I used my car as an office. These reviews need to be reviewed b4 they post anyone could say damaging things, like Vanessa! I've never had a bad review b4, Now she's tainted all my other reviews and I was declined tonite over it, that's how I found out about the review. So what happens next

Michelle, I'm not sure I fully understand all the points you are making in your post, but I read the review Vanessa left, and I think it is very informative; it gives other hosts the information they need to make a decision, whether or not to accept the reservation, based on the configuration and comfort level of their own homes.

Specifically,:

1.  She has a no smoking policy, but you insisted on smoking on the property (rather than the sidewalk or your car).

2. She had other paying guests who were trying to sleep, and your early and late hours disturbed that  (with noise/lights/frequetly entering/exiting the house)

3. Your extra need for power (for your car) was a bigger deal than she expected...she did not realize how much trouble/time that would take or how much she should charge to be appropriately compensated for it.

4.  Rather than bring your own extension cord, you expected her to provide one, which resulted in hers getting ruined/shorted.

Your lifestyle (smoking, staying up late, needing extra power, borrowing someone elses's extension cord) is not a bad way to live, especially if you were staying in a hotel.  However when you stay in someone's house, you need to adjust your expectations and behaviour.  A hotel might be the best option for a writer who works through the night; they are designed to minimize disruptions to other guests...personal homes are not built that way.  Best of luck!