Guest Cancellation Refund/Payout

Answered!
Kelli8
Level 2
Olympia, WA

Guest Cancellation Refund/Payout

Hi

I had a guest book for a large concert event in August. He has now recently canceled and wants a refund of 837.00. I was going to agree less a cancellation fee and when I went to process it said it would be takenout of my next payout which is next week, but I do not receive his payout until August 4th. Seems crazy to me so I contacted support and he said yes that's the policy. I tried to explain it to the guest. I'm unable to do that but of course he is mad and doesn't understand since he has already been charged. Has anyone run into this before?

Thank you-

1 Best Answer
Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Kelli 8 do not refund . If he has cancelled then Airbnb will return his money as per your policy . I hope you did not cancel for him . Do not refund money that you do not have . Tell him it is his cancellation not yours and he must cancel from his end by contacting Airbnb . Give him the number and tell him that Airbnb has his money , not you and that Airbnb only send the money to you one day after arrival and therefore you do not have his money but Airbnb will release it only after he cancels .Never refund from your own pocket , ever. It is highly possible if you do a refund and then he cancels then he will receive two refunds and good luck getting it back . some people are simply ignorant of the process and some are trying to scam you .Beware take care... H

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Kelli8 

Not clear on your post. Is this a cancellation where you are choosing to refund the guest outside of your cancellation policy ie give the guest back more than he is entitled to under the cancellation policy he booked under?

If this is the case, this is generous of you and you are doing the guest a favour. In any case just explain to the guest that Airbnb holds his money and obviously you can't return his money as you don't have it.   You will only receive his money after his booking was due to have taken place. 

Thank you @Helen3 

I appreciate your time. I’m going to try and explain again that I don’t have his money and that he can contact Airbnb with any questions and just leave it at that. 

Karen114
Level 10
Bolton, MA

Let the guest go in and cancel.  August being so far out he is probably within the cancelation period for full refund unless it was booked non refundable.  I would not try to cancel the booking on your end, you will get penalized for doing so. 

Karen

Thank you Karen yes luckily I know better than to cancel he did but it’s a strict policy so I’m just going to refer him to Airbnb with questions.

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Kelli 8 do not refund . If he has cancelled then Airbnb will return his money as per your policy . I hope you did not cancel for him . Do not refund money that you do not have . Tell him it is his cancellation not yours and he must cancel from his end by contacting Airbnb . Give him the number and tell him that Airbnb has his money , not you and that Airbnb only send the money to you one day after arrival and therefore you do not have his money but Airbnb will release it only after he cancels .Never refund from your own pocket , ever. It is highly possible if you do a refund and then he cancels then he will receive two refunds and good luck getting it back . some people are simply ignorant of the process and some are trying to scam you .Beware take care... H

Hi Helen

thank you this has been extremely helpful and even after all these years have never come across this situation luckily I haven’t experienced many cancellations and did not agree to refund him money I don’t have.

For some reason lately I’ve had more guests with issues or unreasonable requests maybe just a sign of the times.

Best wishes

Kelli

@Kelli8 There is always more to learn from our guests I find but you get better at it as you go along . Good luck Kelli.. H