bed bugs - has anyone had airbnb back a host?

M-G0
Level 1
Charleston, SC

bed bugs - has anyone had airbnb back a host?

Guest checked in on Nov 27 2016 for a 3+ month stay.   First complained of spiders the first of Jan.  Had pest control come and they saw nothing but treated for $150.   Then she said I had bed bugs and sent photos of bites and a bed bug.   I had the unit treated even though company found nothing at a cost of $1000.00.   Days after the treatment I get a call at 11:30 p.m. with her slurring her words saying there were bed bugs.   I said send a picture now.   She called again in 10 minutes with the same conversation (as if we had not talked) and finally sent a pic of a leaf floating in the toilet.   Responded with that is not a bed bug.  Had the pest control company come back to double check and they said NO bed bugs.   Nothing again from her for a week and then another email that she was moving out because of bed bugs.   She contacted airbnb, they let her move out, shut down my site and said I had to provide proof that I did not have bed bugs.   Sent them the paperwork showing that I had treated and reinspected and she did not have cause to move out.   They let her move out and I am out of luck on the rest of my rent.   I have had another company come in and inspect and they said in thier paperwork that I did not have bed bugs and could see no signs that I ever had bed bugs.   Airbnb, said "With the documentation that she has sent in of bed bugs, I do have to refund her for nights not spent. She has sent in plenty of pictures in with bed bug bites as well as the actual bed bugs."   Guess the pros don't know what the heck they are talking about.   Oh yes, the pics of bites did not have a face in the pic.   I cannot afford this kind of treatment and will decide today if I will pull down my site.  Feel certain based on some evidence and some speculation that this "professional woman"  met someone and moved in with them and this was a scam.   

3 Replies 3
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

All I can go by is what I see on here, so who knows.

I think it is fair to say that AirBnB in general would side with the Guest.

David
Maureen233
Level 2
Florida, United States

I have now had 2 scammers-one scammed me out of a 3 day weekend.  They buy the bedbug online and/or find Youtube video-send it to airbnb and get FREE housing! The last scammers were homeless and even had their food from the food pantry in a box, stayed overnight, lied and said they never stayed due to "bedbugs".  I, the professional maid service, my neighbor all caught them in their scam.  Airbnb sided with them, gave them free housing. I had to pay 73.00 for the maid, 30 for the inspection and so lost a 3 day holiday weekend. VRBO doesn't seem to have scammers so far so I have raised my rates to try to keep out these frauds. I filed a police report this time and I pray that the police stop them.  I now take drivers license copies and a selfie to prove they are who they say they are.  

Maureen233
Level 2
Florida, United States

OH and yes, AIR SHUT DOWN MY SITE!!!  The other scammer was a woman from FL with Harley gear on...mid to late 40's in case you see her photos.