Carbon monoxide detector

Jane500
Level 1
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom

Carbon monoxide detector

I have been trying to set our apartment as Business Ready and I eventually found why I couldn't set this. We don't have a carbon monoxide detector because I believe we don't need one as there is no gas in the property (or even in the village!) Am I correct, and how can I get round this?

22 Replies 22
Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Jane500,

You say that you don't have gas but is there any other form of heating within the house, including a stove, open fire, oil boiler? Any of those can also give off carbon monoxide?

Even if you don't have any of those it looks like Airbnb's terms for business travel simply require a detector to be installed. There are no conditions mentioned in the terms. What makes a listing business travel ready?

They do also say that they may make detectors available free to some hosts. There's a red "Get one for free" button at the following link but conditions apply.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/home-safety

If you can't get one from Airbnb, battery ones are available from hardware shops from about £25.

Steve.

Lottie1
Level 1
Emsworth, United Kingdom

Apparently if you apply for a free detector the terms and conditions state that you are liable for import duty if applicable. Has anyone applied for one in the UK and if so did it come from a UK supplier therefore there was no import duty.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Lottie1 I got one and didn't pay anything. Can't remember where it came from.

Lottie1
Level 1
Emsworth, United Kingdom

Thanks for responding Helen. That's helpful. Happy Christmas?

John1902
Level 8
Aldeburgh, United Kingdom

But why would you pay £25 for something If it is not required due to no gas sources or other forms of non electric heat.  (Underfloor heating doesn’t give off carbon monoxide)?  It then becomes a tax. 

Thea46
Level 1
Stellenbosch, South Africa

I want to install a carbon monoxide detector.  My listing is in Stellenbosch, South Africa - Any specifications that I need to be aware of??  Can someone in RSA advise as to make and model and where did they acquire theirs?

Also do I need both?  Smoke and CMonoxide detectors?  Or is it one detector?

Please advise

Thea

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

@Jane0

you can get a CO2 detector from British Gas, battery operated and inexpensive they look like a wee disc which you can place where you like.

Mine, is near my gas condensing boiler in the utility room.

I had one in my modern family home long before I started hosting.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Victoria567,

CO2 is not carbon monoxide....A CO2 detecor will allways go off, as CO2 is everywhere, due to climate change.... Some people at British gas should be educated about this. ;>)

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

@Emi22el

Typing error.

CO is carbon monoxide.

CO2 is Carbon dioxide!

Mary631
Level 2
Cascade-Chipita Park, CO

Carbon monoxide 

John1902
Level 8
Aldeburgh, United Kingdom

This is of course utterly ridiculous.  I am given a black mark on my listing for not having a detector when like the OP I have no gas nor any alternative heat source. Maybe the cows in the field opposite may let off carbon monoxide but I doubt it gets to the level that would poison my guests.   So the terms of business may say I should have one. That makes to me as much sense as suggesting I only check in guests if I’m wearing a pinafore dress, if that were in the terms and conditions then most people would be in agreement that this is stupid.  Putting a blanket policy where the issue is not something that is relevant to all hosts is not an acceptable thing.  I have a thorough network of smoke alarms. I live in a brand new house.  This detector would have been fitted had it been necessary. It wasn’t but Airbnb know better than the local planners?  I do not want nor need yet another device sitting somewhere (where would you place it in a house with no gas!) no doubt beeping at me when the battery needs changing and requiring weekly testing.  It’s unnecessary and I shouldn’t be penalised for complying with the rules. 

All my listings  are fully electric.  Yes Airbnb should be smart enough to ask if the property has any fuel burning appliances before requiring a carbon monoxide detector, but it is worth just buying some cheap ones to avoid potential guests being worried by the Airbnb warning that there is none.

In Australia they are $35 at Bunnings.

In my 3 years on Airbnb i have learnt to not sweat the small stuff.  Go with the flowf