SAFTEY-Was the street name and very accurate map listed before on host listings ?

Sorin0
Level 4
Jersey City, NJ

SAFTEY-Was the street name and very accurate map listed before on host listings ?

Hi,

I do hosting for few years now, and form what i've knew, without a confirmed booking,  potential guests were shown only the radius location of adress. 

NOW, i see airbnb lists our(hosts) street also, and togheter with that radius location, a host adress can quite easily be found if a potential troubled guest wants to. I've had quite a few, very descriptive, negative  and mean messages written after i've  had to decline certain potential guests.

The adress can not be changed once  you save one, only a new listing can have dif. Adress, but thne you loose the reviews...

What are your thoughts about this ? 

23 Replies 23

@Sorin0: I see. I don't like this either, especially when there are only 4 houses on my street!

Jane2
Level 2
Paris, France

I have just noticed this as well. Is it new? It is a completely unsafe practice. With photos and a street name, non-guests looking for an easy target can pinpoint apartments that will be empty from time to time . There are a lot of break-ins in Paris and I would hate to imagine that my listing address on a public platform could potentially contribute to this.

Yes, i think is less then a month old this feature, b/c i am always on the site checking stuff out, but this little detail you only see if you go all the way down on the page listing like  a guest would do when viewing details regarding location. 

Also  with  many women hosts out there, this is really not a safe feature at all ! 

The problem  is that, that radius circle makes it even much precise now, location is in center of circle, so that narrows it down to a few houses for most guests. If you live in  a high rise, then i guess you are better off...

Someone from Airbnb called but I missed it. He said he will call again today or tomorrow. The feature was recently added so I imagine can be easily removed...Personal details of any kind  should not be available for anyone who is browsing the site. Safety is a very real concern .

Hi Jane,

I sent a tweet to airbnb help and they said "Hi Sorin. At present, there aren't any plans to reverse it but we'll relay your feedback. Any info disclosed should be limited to the street name, which still affords hosts some anonymity on the search results."

I'm sure once enough hosts  realize this wrong, airbnb will correct it. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Sorin0  Thank you for bringing this new feature to our attention.  Could you post this in Host Voice so the hosts' feedback can be relayed to Air BNB if there is enough support?  When sufficient hosts objected to requiring IB, Air BNB eventually reversed the requirement.

Thank you for letting us know airbnb's reply. I have found a number of posts regarding this issue,and no one was happy. I imagine  a lot of hosts are unaware of this feature. Hopefully concerned hosts can opt-out soon.

@Jane0 I'm glad i could help. The way it was before with the bigger circle for location was good enough. We all have some worries on our mind,  no need to add another one ...

@Linda0 Ok, i posted it there too. Thank you for advice !

This is the direct link-  https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Host-Voice/SAFETY-Was-the-street-name-and-very-accurate-map-listed-b...

Tracy97
Level 2
Wildomar, CA

I do not want my street name displayed. Is there a way to keep it private until the booking?

You can't change it yourself but if you call, a service rep can change it for you.

I can't seem to find a phone number and the email I found didn't work. "Undeliverable."

I am in france so I don't think the number I have will help you.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

For all of you who are contacting Air BNB individually, won't you please also go to this issue posted in Host Voice and give it a thumbs up so we can also make this a change for everyone.  I don't think hosts should have to opt out but rather should opt into this map identification.  I am sure there are places where it might be helpful, but a vast majority of hosts would not want to have their place identified prior to confirmed booking.  

Here is a link to a community guide for contacting Air BNB.  Country specific phone numbers are included in the end.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Community-Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165#M...