I cancelled a guest, and would like to contact Airbnb about extenuating circumstances

Mish1
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

I cancelled a guest, and would like to contact Airbnb about extenuating circumstances

Hi there!

I had to cancel a guest's reservation in my London apartment at the last minute, as I ended up needing emergency hospitalisation in London, followed by recuperation and follow-up doctor check-ups in London (meaning I needed to use the apartment myself). I felt terrible about letting the guest down at the last minute, but unfortunately there was nothing I could do. 

Airbnb has an extenuating circumstances policy for cancellations, which means they'll remove the penalties associated with the host cancelling the guest (see here: https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/1320/what-is-airbnb-s-extenuating-circumstances-policy). I'm not sure how to contact Airbnb about it or present them with documents to prove my case. 

Can anyone help? I'm most concerned about the automated posting that will appear on my listing, saying "The host cancelled my reservation within x days."

Thanks very much!

Mish

12 Replies 12
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

@Mish1

There is a sticky in the Community Help on how to make contact, best in these cases to contact ABB first and let them cancel.

David
Mish1
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Thanks so much for your help! I was in a bit of a panic at the time and didn't think to contact Airbnb first. I'll take a look at the sticky in Community Help, and hopefully Airbnb will be able to help. 

Thanks again!

John498
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

It is too late I should think Mish if you already cancelled. If not then definitely only do it through AIRBNB help as there are penalties.

Mish1
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Thanks John. The only penalty I'm really worried about is the automated posting that says "The host cancelled this guest's reservation XX days before travel". I won't get fined as this is my first ever cancellation. 

I've just contacted Airbnb about extenuating circumstances – along with relevant paperwork. Their help page on the matter states that claims for these circumstances can only be considered after I've cancelled the guest (no later than 14 days from the guest's original check-in date), so I'm hoping they'll consider my case. (See here for more info: https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/1320/what-is-airbnb-s-extenuating-circumstances-policy)

(Oh and yes, I definitely cancelled through Airbnb – and Airbnb can see a record of my explanation to the guest if they'd like to.)

Fingers crossed!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Mish1

Mish, it may never happen to you again but, just remember you never, but never cancel a confirmed guest reservation!

If a problen arrises that prevents you from carrying through with a hosting get onto Airbnb first and explain your extenuating circumstance.....Of course you had a good one, but not an automatic one!

When you contact Airbnb they will endeavour to relocate the guest or refund them but, this must happen after discussion with Airbnb! If you hit that cancel tab you will suffer the consequences I am afraid.

It seems that Airbnb are becoming slightly more concilatory where host cancellations are concerned but, it's not up to you to decide if it is fair or not, it's up to Airbnb!

Cheers.....Rob

Jayne23
Level 1
Guilliers, France

I have had the same problem, but there's no address listed as far as I can see. Can anyone help?

I have the same situation-- had to cancel a guest because of reasons not in my control. Now I dont' see any links or phone numbers how to contact Airbnb to discuss this. How do folks contact airbnb? When I ask "How to contact airbnb", I get a link to "want to send a refund to a guest"!! Thanks, D

@Dona1

There is a sticky in the Community Help on how to make contact, best in these cases to contact ABB first and let them cancel.

David
Gill37
Level 1
Cambridge, United Kingdom

Hi David

Sorry to be dim but can you direct me to this sticky because i can't find it and need to get in touch with AirBNB about a penalty when i cancelled a guest because i had sold my house!

Thanks

Gill

@Dona1  Hi, neighbor!

First, is your situation listed on the Extenuating Circumstances list?  If so, you may qualify if you can provide proof.  You'll want to Contact Airbnb directly to explain your situation.

Thank you for providing this info. Not sure why it was so difficult to find it at their site. The first option I find least useful but will try to call or use twitter. Thank you. Dona

Jane287
Level 1
Hawaii, United States

I recently received a request for some dates in May, and accepted it, at which point the reservation was confirmed by airbnb, but when I notified the guest in my follow-up message that our oceanfront pool would be closed for the whole month, he asked me to cancel his reservation, and now those dates are blocked.  I don't think it's fair that I can't offer those dates to someone else.

What happened with this guest makes me leery of accepting other requests when I'm not absolutely sure that they want to book with me.   I think there should be a 3rd option, not just two,,,,accept or decline.  How about HOLD until details are confirmed!