Alerts that host or guests have posted a review

Jeff89
Level 7
Sydney, Australia

Alerts that host or guests have posted a review

Hi,

Does ABnb advise the host (within the 14 day period) that a guest has left a review and vice versa?

I gave a good review to a long term guest who did not leave a review.  He wanted to stay longer but the acccomdation was already booked. He got the royal treatment whilst he was occupying the space.  He was generally gnarly but he left the place in good order so I left him a good review.   I read a forum comment that to avoid the situation where hosts review guests, but guests dont reciprocate, some hosts suggest waiting until the 13th day before reviewing a guest or dont review at all. 

I know neither guest nor host can see a review until both have reviewed or after the 14th day after departure, but is an alert sent to guest or host before this deadline - once the 1st review has been entered - so they other party knows there is a review there before the 14 day close off?

I've read Deb and dave's valuable comments on reviews.  Thanks Deb & Dave for your contributions to this community group.

9 Replies 9
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Jeff89  I don't recall ever being advised that a review has been left by the guest and reminding me to leave a review probably because I always review within 1-2 days.  It is my understanding that the reviews should reflect the opinion of the host and the guest independent of each other.  No "**bleep** for tat" and no extortion to give a good review for some consideration.  I always hope hosts give the most honest review they can because I count on the host community to help each other make decisions about accepting a reservation.  If the 14 days have not passed, you could send a reminder to the guest expressing your hope he will take the time to provide a review.  If he does and the review is negative, your professional response is an opportunity to promote your listing.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Jeff89

Generally, I write reviews fairly quickly to get them out of the way. If I had a less positive guest experience I'd obviously give it more time. Occasionally though, the guests were much quicker than me, and in all of these 3 or 4 instances I did get an email showing a text made up of only Xs telling me that Guest left me a review and to see it I'd have to write my review. And I think when I clicked on that sentence it took me to my review section.

Thanks Linda, thanks Andrea.

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@Jeff89  Although I generally review my guests first, every now and then a guest will write their review before I write mine and I do get an email from Airbnb saying something along the lines of, "[Guest] has written a review for their recent stay - write yours to see what they wrote!"  So there are notifications that go to the other party to let them know a review was written.  I believe guests and hosts also get several emails or prompts during the 14-day period to remind them to leave a review.

@Cynthia-and-Chris1  Thanks so much.  I also have previously written my reviews first also but that explains why Ive never received one of those email stating the Guest has submitted theirs.

Hi @Jeff89,

I have not been on here regularly so just saw this post.  Thank you for the positive feedback.  

Yes, you do receive notification when the guest leaves a review and both host and guest get reminder notifications to review the other party.  There is also a last notification letting the person know that there is onyl one day left.  As a side note, the review period is actually only 14 days (336 hours) from the check out time in your listing.  There are a lot of people who get the notice that they have until a certain date to leave a review and they believe it is up to midnight and then cannot leave their review.  

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Jeff89 @Dave-and-Deb0 @Andrea9 @Cynthia-and-Chris1

Yes Jeff as others have said you will be prompted. You will be told acouple of times that you have intil a certain date to post a review.

If the guest beats you to it as @Cynthia-and-Chris1 said you will receive an email like this......Review prompt.png

So this lets you know there is a review there for you once you get a wriggle on and post yours.

Cheers.....Rob

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for starting this post @Jeff89, I'm just mentioning in @Dave-and-Deb0, so he receives a notification of your nice remarks. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Thanks @Lizzie for all your help too!