Lack of Air B&B support and ineffective response to host issues

Louise114
Level 1
Clifton Hill, Australia

Lack of Air B&B support and ineffective response to host issues

Hi there hosts, I've just had the most disppointing experience with Air bnb after hosting over two years with well over 100 plus positive reviews.  I had my beautifull home booked for 4 nights from 29 December 2016.  My guests check-in in early around 1pm - I gave these two men a tour of my home, whilst their two female partners sat in the car.  I was a little concerned that I had not met their partners, so I suggested that they might to move their belongings in whilst I sent a final email before leaving my home.  After about 5 to 10 minutes, I went about to leave and noted the front door wide open along with no guests/luggage, etc.   I was very concerned and confused, so I came back to check the computer with their request to cancel on basis of: unclean, "stinking" and hot.  I contacted them via sms and Air bnb wishing to work through these issues (all 3 false claims).  After a number of hours, I realized that I was stranded!!!!  My Christmas holiday on hold and NO AIR BNB BOOKING.  

I feel really unsupported by Air bnb through this experience.  I'm still waiting for them to get in touch with me regarding an outcome post lodging this unjustified cancellation issue through the "Resolution Centre".

4 Replies 4
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

That's not a nice siituation to find yourself in ....and it must have come as quite a shock to you.

The only thing I can say, which won't be of much help, is that at least they did not stay and then claim later that it was unsuitable for their needs.

I hope you you get some payment through your cancellation policy at least.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Sounds like they had no intention of staying and are looking to work the system.

If they want to cancel they can do so, no need to request, sounds like they have asked you to cancel, do not do that.

They your cancellation policy kicks in, however I would expect them to contact AirBnB and seek a full refund.

All you can is seek to head that off, but you can not control what AirBnB do.

David
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Louise114,

I am sorry to hear about your booking over the Christmas period, I really hope you managed to enjoy your break in the end. 

As it has been a few days since you posted this hear, I just wondered if there is any update on this? 

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Louise114 

I don't understand why so many hosts let their guests inside without id/passport check? 

We always ask documents of ALL our guests including children and then either make a photo or just write down all their data: passport no., name, citizenship, town, date and country of birth... so no way that 2 guests would enter and 2 guests would sit in the car during check in.

We have to do it because we have to register them at tourist office an because we need and want to know who they are before we give them our keys.

Doing so we don't care if they verified their id to Airbnb or not. We verify it 🙂

Guests check in and than lie and ask for a refund and that's why we have flexible cancellation policy. If they can not stay they can cancel and get a refund, there is no need for such dirty games. Luckily, cancellations are not so often on ABB as on Booking.com. In 6 months we didn't have any.