guest review if they do not review me

Sue185
Level 3
South MacLean, Australia

guest review if they do not review me

Hi All

I have already had help from this community this morning and I thank all those that have helped

I now have another quetion. I have noticed if I do not review a guest and they review me then their review will still appear on my listing after two weeks, yet if I review a difficult guest to help other future host and the guest does not reveiw me does my review still go onto there profile? or is it like us reviewing with stars, just not point as they do not show up anyway

I just want to do a diplimatic review on my current guest as a warning to future possible hosts that this guest is very demanding and very difficult and I want it to go on his profile but feel That he may now not do a review of me as I think he will be sensing that he has been very difficult to please and we have done so much for him

Does anyone know how this works if I review and guests do not?

Thanks

Sue

22 Replies 22
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Basically the same, after 14 days you review appears.

David
Sue185
Level 3
South MacLean, Australia

Oh thats great thanks its good to know

I am not going to write a totally nasty negative review but in a diplimatic way I think I should some how get me message across to other hosts that this guest may be a little high maintenance as his carry on and wanting to change accomodation and asking me to canel his accomodation over a flat bike tyre was a little over the top. Two dead garden cockroaches in Qld in Aust in Summer was another issue when he can clearly see the certificate of current pest control and the flat is immaculately clean, that is why they were dead ones.

then he was upset all this morning because the internet was slow.........................oh and complaining about the heat.............it summer in Queensland its a very hot place

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Sue185

Do have a look at the help section on the Airbnb website as you will find it will answer the majority of your questions including how reviews work.

Community Guides on this forum are also worth you reading through.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Sue185

"Guest was a first-time Airbnb user [--if that's the case---] expecting champagne on a beer budget. Guest is much better suited to a professional hotel environment with 24/7  on-call personnel."

😉

Sue185
Level 3
South MacLean, Australia

Yes I think that could be the case quite often and they demand a lot as they seem to,hold that "power of review" over you. 

I have not had issues with any other guests

i think my husband has been able to,help him And he is now happy. I would not want another host to,have to deal with him. 

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Sue185

You could in a review also give him a thumbs down, since that would block him from Instant Booking with hosts requiring only guests with good reviews .

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Sue185....You said you want to be diplomatic....Sue, I hope you follow through on that! Remember that what you write in that review is with you for ever more. By the sound of it you don't know which way this guests review is going to go so, don't stick your neck out with what you say....just a short "Communication with *** was good and although we had our differences, he respected our space and we have both learned from this hosting"! Sue, it's short and generic and no matter how he reviews you, there won't be the need for 'back tracking' on your part.

When his review comes, you will be allowed to respond to the guests comments, and that is the time where your diplomacy skills will come to the fore! If he gives you a reasonable review and good star ratings you can thank him for his review and say something like..."The great thing about people is, we are all different! **** expectations I felt were unreasonable at times, but he possibly thought the same of mine! But I do feel he is a nice person and I wish him all the best for the future!" Sue you have told the hosting community that there was a definite issue with this guest and his expectations but you have not accused him of anything, and you have shown a dignity that will endear you to the hosting community.

If his review is a bad one, don't get into a ' he said/she said'  verbal fist fight with him....you will always lose and you look like a vindictive difficult host. You can shame him for his comments with something like...."I thank **** so much for choosing to stay with us! It was possibly a bit unfortunate that God did not cooperate and give us weather that was more to the guests liking, but, as much as I would have liked to try, that is something neither Airbnb or I have any control over." ....or "Although somewhat unwilling to allow the guest the use of some of my equipment, he felt the need to involve Airbnb on the state in which he found it, and felt some sort of compensation should have been forthcoming!"........"I value every guests comments be they about the bed, the facilities I offer, including the entertainment offered and the Wifi, and I take any feedback on board so I can be a better host in future" 

And then go on to wish them all the best for the future. You will come out looking like a star and the guest will come out looking like a picky moron!

Sue, choose your words very carefully!

Cheers....Rob 

Sue185
Level 3
South MacLean, Australia

Hi Robin 

thank you for that 

yes I was very much thinking along these sorts of line with the way I was going to word my review and ready for anything that he may have coming in his review 

I will keep hold of this I do like the way you have put a few things 

thanks again 

sue 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Sue185 The review system is the most important tool in your hosting tool bag! I see so many reviews that are writen out of spite and Sue, nobody respects 'spite'!

Nearly all my bookings are coming as a result of my reviews and review responses.

I am not in a tourist area and although a beautiful area with a lot to offer does not fall high on a travellers 'must visit'  list! My views as displayed here are really minimal compared to other areas....

Views.png

I struggle to get more than 10 views a day, but I am averaging around 10 bookings a month, which is all I can really handle....

Calendar and listed.png

And Sue, this business is coming mainly through the reviews.

A lot is also tied up with my welcome strategy too but, first and foremaost you have to get that booking before you can worry about anything else.

Great reviews mean great business!!

Cheers.....Rob

Sue185
Level 3
South MacLean, Australia

Hi Rob 

yes i I do totally understand getting tn booking through the reviews and I have really fantastic reviews on both my listings guests love both my properties and I rarely have empty days. 

This is why I am struggling with this guest. Today my cleaner arrived to clean the other unit and as soon as she got out of the car she could smell the smoke and he was blatantly sitting there smoking with non smoking signs everywhere and the body Corp of the building does not allow smoking. This guest is rude arrogant and has not respect for people's property or house rules. Why do we have rules if people are aloud to break them 

I was a sales rep for over 20 years so I am sure I will come up with someway of wording my review and it will not be with spite as I do not operate that way 

I wish Airbnb would reply to my emails as I want to know where I stand with having this guest leave and I have no fear of him leaving my a bad review because he broke house rules and was told not to smoke 

sue 

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Sue185

For what it's worth: from what I've gathered it's always better to call up/tweet/FB Airbnb directly to avoid having to wait for days or forever to get an email reply.

Check out the community page, then the second posting which includes all ways to contact them (remember to scroll down for tel.nos.)

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Community-Help/bd-p/Community-Help-EN

You should also always keep a record of complaints, difficulties on the booking message page - even if it's only recapping oral or off-site exchanges. Or after their stay reporting what your cleaner discovered (also important to take pictures for just in case). That page is considered a record of proof and is looked at by Airbnb in case of problems betw. guest and host. It's not a 100% proof guarantee, but it certainly gets you closer.

Sue185
Level 3
South MacLean, Australia

Thanks 

Yes I am keeping the best records I can. Sadly my cleaner did not take photos of him smoking she felt a little awkward doing that and it would be very obvious 

I do not tweet but may have to learn 

It is very frustrating to feel held at ransom by one guest with so many great reviews and this guest is so clearly breaking my house and body Corp rules 

sue 

Sue185
Level 3
South MacLean, Australia

Hi Robin

You seem to be good with words so I am asking for you help if you can. I am also getting some other people to help and one actually is a guest that stays with us a lot now and has travelled a lot on Airbnb she is lovely and has become a good friend almost family. Very smart lady and well traveled

I have to do the review for this guest now so if you could help I would really like that

He booked and unaircondition granny flat but it does have ceiling fans and sea breezes and stays a constant temp all year round as it is underhouse. He did complain about it been hot.................its summer in Qld.............so it is hot and he is from Germany so it would seem hot but my flat is very clear and in the listing that it is not airconed and I explain in the listing the sea breezes fans etc

His first issue was the bike with the flat tyre and from that he wanted me to cancel his accomodation. When my husband arrived the tyre was not actually flat he wanted more air in it but told my hubby the bike pump was broken but in acutall fact it was not he just did not know how to use it. We gave him a new bike and also a new easier to use bike pump

He found two dead garden cockroches and my caretaker had to go round and show him the current pest contol that was just done and explain this is Queensland in summer and it was a garen cockroach and they fly in and she applogized for it. Also the ants were active as it has been so dry and rain was comming that night so she explained that and showed him all the bug sprays etc

The next day it was the internet was too slow and it is in our area we have provided the best we can for the area it is not up to earuopean standards but it is the best we can get. Even getting TV recepition where we are is hard .

My caretaker noticed his packets of cirgertets and one behind his ear and a butt on the table. She also smelt and saw him smoking and this is clealy breaking house rules and he was smoking in front of a no smoking sign

we did not tell him to stop smoking as he had already caused us so much greif with everthing else and I am sure he is already lining up to give me a bad review that I will just have to deal with. I will do boing a thumbs down on this guest as he is totally arrogant and rude and clearly has no repect for house rules.

If you would like to help me write a review I would appriciate it as I have awsome reviews on my listing and always do the right thing by my guests. This has been the first guest I have had trouble with and it has been very upsetting

Sue

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Sue185

Sue this is going to be incredibly long winded but where as @David126 is a man of important words, but few, I tend to be a man of many and explain why. I have kitchen duty at Meals on Wheels this morning so I am going to have to break this into two parts, this bit for the reasoning behind the review, and I will come back to how I would review later in the day...ok.

You have already mentioned this man in another post so I do have some 'forewarning' of it.

Firstly you do have a history to protect! I can't understand why you do not have superhost status. You have 55 great reviews...5 star in every category with no cancellations that I saw in my brief look. All your guests speak well of you, and Sue, it really doesn't matter what this man says, you have a track record that does speak for itself, so whatever he says he will be seen as coming from that man in 'the Anzac Day march'....he is the only one in step, everyone else got it wrong!!

While I think of it, don't lend guests bikes! It's a noble thing to do but you can be saddled with a liability issue if something happens that involves your bike beyond the perimeter on your property. Your public liability will not cover you once your property is in public space. Even having a damage waiver signed will not always stand up in a court of law...It could be argued that you failed to maintain the bike in proper, safe operating condition. As I said, it's a nice touch but Sue, not worth the risk. Being in Queensland where the weather is beautiful one day, perfect the next, form a relationship with a local hire shop and come to some sort of agreement with them to let your bikes at a special rate....something like that. They have the appropriate insurances, you do not. It's not like family or friends, this can be seen as part of your hosting contract, something for which you are being paid and the law will see this entirely differently. Put the bikes away OK!

To that review, there are three options here:

1/. He will not leave a review at all! Many who are preopcupied with themselves don't. They are that busy with themselves that they either forget, or can't be bothered, and even more don't understand how important reviews are to the Airbnb system. Be prepared for the fact that he may not review you.

2/. He will give you a poor review and will list all his grievances and how he felt they should have been handled.

3/. He will leave you a good review because although he had issues he liked you, you got on well and people do not like fighting with people they like!

You seem to be sure he is going to give you a poor review! Is that because of the heat, the cockroaches, the bike thing...physical things, or have you come to have a poor relationship with him? Have you given him reason to become angry with you rather than the listing? I say this because, if he likes you and got on well with you, he may just gloss over these things and still give you a good review....'The granny flat was hot but Sue was a nice host who went out of her way to please me'....or, if he didn't like you....'Everything was wrong with this place, it was hot, the bike didn't work, there were bugs everywhere and the host was not cooperative'! How you parted will give you a good pointer as to how he will review you.

Sorry about this but I have to go and organise some food for todays deliveries, more later.

Cheers....Rob