Guest Trashed House

Rosa-JH0
Level 2
Long Beach, NY

Guest Trashed House

I rented our vacation house to a group of four young men. I suppose I should have known but my last guest via AirbnB was fine. As we usually do, in addition to our tidying -we had the house cleaned and supplied fresh linens, a little coffee station, nicely made up rooms, fresh flowers, beach chairs, coolers etc. The house is really nice and it's tidy and welcoming. As soon as I pulled in our garage I knew something was up, the beach chairs were thrown around and there was a cooler full of used bottles, water and beer, the garage door was open. Upstairs:  empty pizza boxes, half eaten pizza, dirty cups, garbage, broken glass allover, sticky beer on the floor, two bags of garabage open and a sink full of food and dishes. The bathroom was littered too with used personal hygiene items, including q tips kleenex and the bedroom, again full cups of coffee, cigarettes, gum wrappers,  (it's a non smoking rental and the house stunk like smoke) and to top it off underwear in the bed. Upstairs was the same scene with an added bonus of more dirty underwear, bottles, cigarettes, used condoms in the tiny bedroom garbage, vomit all toilet, a broken shower head that I know was not broken before because I used it to clean the tub before they came. As soon as I tried to clean the tub, it sprayed everywhere from the big crack. So obv not cosmetic or preexisting. The renter is disputing it's cosmetic and trying to say the pre charged cleaning fee should cover the mess. I had to have someone come in a clean all the floors and house again and pay for the shower head to be replaced. I am not sure what planet this person is from, but it's disgusting. I will probably come off of Air now.  I wish I could send the pics to this young man's mother. LOL. 

3 Replies 3

@Rosa-JH0 - sorry this happened to you.  Open a Resolution Center case with Airbnb and have them work on your behalf.  Upload all the pictures and claim the damage against their security deposit.  Your house rules say they are to take the garbage out, which clearly they didn't and to leave the house tidy, which it isn't, no smoking, which there is evidence that they did.  You have a limited amount of time to do this.  

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/767/what-is-the-resolution-center  

If you have been speaking with the guest outside of the Airbnb platform, stop now and discuss everything through their messaging system.  If you have emails or texts with the guest, keep copies of them and reiterate on the platform what was said. 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/209/why-should-i-pay-and-communicate-through-airbnb-directly

Make sure you write an honest, professional and unemotional review of this guest and his friends Hopefully they were all added to the reservation so the review will show on each of their profiles.  Give them a Thumbs down.  There are many threads in these forums with great tips on how to write a negative review if you need assistance.  

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/13/how-do-reviews-work

Hope things get sorted with this guest quickly. 

Awful guests are going to be on every platform, this isn't unique to Airbnb.  

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Rosa-JH0 uh... this is something every host is affraid of 😞

@Alice-and-Jeff0 gave you great instructions what to do in a case like this. Unfortunatelly you have limited time to make a claim for damage or extra cleaning , it has to be done before the next guest come in or in a 14 day period. With back to back bookings it is an extra stress and time consuiming process and often impossible to do.

I hope you made a lot of pictures with dates and video to proof your claim.

One host said she makes fresh pictures of her property , with dates included, every month + pictures of her guests luggage inside the property during their check in and she allways get her claim payed. 

Having a security deposit in place is also helpfull , outdoor security/survelliance cameras too. 

I hope you managed to clean everything and will not happend to you again 😞

Tara153
Level 1
Lompoc, CA

I had co hosts covering for me and they understated the extent of the filth of a recent guest...and no pictures. I've already done their review, without the new information. Apparently, they even helped themselves to another room that had to be cleaned...is there any recourse?