Occupancy taxes for Frederick, Maryland

Alex-and-Janis0
Level 1
Braddock Heights, MD

Occupancy taxes for Frederick, Maryland

My wife and I live in Frederick county Maryland and are thinking of renting out a room through Air BnB.

I am looking for information about taxes we would have to collect...Thanks

10 Replies 10
Karen-and-Will0
Level 10
Maryland, United States

Hi @Alex-and-Janis0, While ultimately Frederick County is the authority on taxes I can share with you what I have learned along the way.  Maryland Sales and Use tax at 6% is required.  They collect it all online and it’s fairly simple.  According to fellow co-hosts in Thurmont that is the only thing required in Frederick County.  I briefly checked and found this to be accurate about a year ago when I contemplated listing our home in Thurmont.  However, double check with the county now to make sure that hasn’t changed.  My 2 places in Ocean City also require a county tax of 4.5% and Ocean City requires an annual license.  So I find it hard to believe Frederick County isn’t trying to get a piece of the income too.  Best of luck in your venture.  Hope this info helps.

Hi Folks,

Thank you so much for the info. This is our first real try with AirBNB. We usually lease out much longer term to business people here for work so we don't run into the short term issue.  I will follow up...Thanks

I want to start airbnb in frederick city, but do we as the hosts have to handle anything with taxes, or does airbnb handle that with the state of Md? 

Hi Karen & Will, I just started my Airbnb and am wondering the same thing. Where should I begin looking to see if I will have to pay income taxes or is it just the 6% that is collected online? Thanks, Anna

Hi I live in Frederick city and am  wondering the same question you had. Have you found out any news about your initial question? I'm looking to start Airbnb myself and want to know how the taxes are handled.

Hello,

When you say "they collect it all online", is that something you setup on your listing or is that something Airbnb has an agreement with MD to collect the sales tax?

Airbnb simply does it...you do nothing except set up your listing on the Airbnb site.  

Matthew442
Level 2
Frederick, MD

Does anyone know if we have to collect any taxes in Frederick city with Airbnb? I know we have it as income tax...but is there any state tax that should be collected as well by each guest?

Bryan154
Level 2
Frederick, MD

Some corrections here: First, Airbnb has been required to collect and remit MD sales tax since they started operations in MD but have not done so for various reasons. I have a letter from the MD Comptroller's office that states this but further states that if the booking intermediary (Airbnb, VRBO, etc) does NOT collect the sales tax, that we hosts are still required to pay sales tax on ALL revenue, including cleaning fees, linen fees, dog fees, etc. As of last Friday, May 24, 2019, Senate Bill 533 was enacted into law that requires Airbnb to collect and remit sales taxes on our behalf at the time a guest books and is scheduled to start June 1. I was very frustrated with this situation over the past year and filed a complaint with the Comptrollers office which resulted in this bill.  Airbnb's own terms and conditions stated that THEY were required to collect any taxes and fees and that we hosts were NOT permitted to collect them. We were a group of business owners desiring to follow the law and the terms of Airbnb with no way to do so. I have been told by resources within Airbnb that a message is forthcoming before June 1 stating how this will be done. 

Currently in Frederick County, Airbnb's are treated the same as Bnb's and are exempt from occupancy tax. If that were to change it needs to be done by the MD state legislature and does not seem to be a priority.  The thing to keep your eye on is new local regulations in Frederick which ARE forthcoming which will include a local occupancy tax. I have formed a local group of Airbnb/VRBO hosts called "Frederick STR Group" which you are welcome to join. Find me on Facebook and I'll invite you. Search for Bryan Chaney. 

Luigi25
Level 2
Gaithersburg, MD

Hello guys, does anybody know if there any restrictions to rent a cabin or glamping tent  in Agricultural zone in Frederick County?