Does anyone else have a problem with LOCAL Airbnb hosts booking to stay with them?

Sarah327
Level 7
England, United Kingdom

Does anyone else have a problem with LOCAL Airbnb hosts booking to stay with them?

Okay, so I am starting to experience a problem with other local Airbnb hosts requesting to book, or booking to stay in my Airbnb. I am certain this is a problem because one lived only a few roads away i.e. less than two miles from me! The other lived in the nearby (and only) town under 10 miles away. Their messages are vague, little explanation is given as to their reason for staying and they seem to want to stay for the intention of 1) taking a look around my listing and copying me, or 2) to give me poor feedback and damage my business.

I live in a relatively rural area, within a small community, so it feels very much like I am being targeted. I appreciate this is perhaps the way I am feeling and not necessarily the reality, but like everyone else I am just trying to make ends meet and get by. 

Obviously, I monitor my "competition", but I would never dream of booking with a local Airbnb host to see what they are up to, or to sabotage it. 

Is it just me, or does this kind of happen to other hosts?

6 Replies 6
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Sarah327

Well, I have had to rent an airbnb locally at a couple of occasions.  I rent my second home and sometimes it has been occupied with guests when I needed it unexpectedly.  Hence, I have booked with other hosts.  

Perhaps someone has rented their whole house, then rent a room locally and still make money.  

A slpit-up and needing urgently somewhere to stay.

There can be all sorts of reasons.

If they are vague, just ask some questions.  If they are reluctant to answer, just decline.

Imogen11
Level 4
Netherlands

I will soon be exactly that local host booking another Airbnb 🙂 

There are some days in our calendar that are booked and we will have nowhere to go. I thought it would be fun to book a local Airbnb - there's no point for us to go far and it can't hurt to support other hosts (and maybe compare notes).

On the idea of deliberately leaving bad reviews - it makes no sense for me to do that. At best I will forever be that high maintenance guest when anyone reads my profile. At worst I will be slammed for lying AND create conflict with someone in my town. 

Completely agree that you should ask a few questions, without getting too personal about bad breakups etc. But hosting another host could turn out to be a great experience, especially as they are hopefully more understanding of how it all works

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Sarah327 I concur, just ask. All sorts of normal reasons why a local would need to be out of their space. 

Or just decline & move on. You don't have to host anybody you don't want...

Sarah327
Level 7
England, United Kingdom

Thanks all for your responses. 

I am certainly learning something never every day with Airbnb! Sticking with my "gut feeling" is clearly working, but I now won't shy away from asking a polite question or two.

Thanks again everyone!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

And if you're not happy with reasons for staying with you/choosing your place. Just decline.

Make sure you set your listing for verified ID too.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

And if you're not happy with reasons for staying with you/choosing your place. Just decline.

Make sure you set your listing for verified ID too.