I have had a guest leave in the night as they found the accomidation unacceptable.

Sandra628
Level 2
Ontario, Canada

I have had a guest leave in the night as they found the accomidation unacceptable.

They left in the night, found the accomidation unexceptable, I apoligized and gave them a full refund. How should I deal with the  review?

6 Replies 6
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Sandra628 But how did it happen? What made them leave? Guests do not leave for no particular reason. To me it only happened twice with booking.com guests who had not read the offer.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

They said the house smelt damp and possible of mice. The house is old by Canadian standards almost 200 years old. When we have very heavy rain the old stone basement can make the kichen smell a bit damp. I am very diligent about cleaning and checking for mice , have never had any . The house has been rented for 2 years now. I have been working with airbnb since May2017 only 5 star reviews everyone so far loves it. I just want to know if you have advice regarding their review

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Do you mean how to deal with writing your review of the guest, or the guest's review of you, @Sandra628? If it is the former, I would just write a version of what you said here: "[Name] arrived, decided not to stay, and was provided a full refund."

I wouldn't say anything about it being unacceptable. That is their word. The house is acceptable to most of your guests - it is not an unacceptable place. 

If cleanliness and communication were good, and house rules were followed, you could say that and also give them five stars. There is nothing to warn other hosts of here. It sounds like it simply was not a good fit. I would wait until they review you, or until the end of the 14 days to put up the review. 

If you are worried about their review, I would say try to let it go. It's hard, but perhaps they will not review, and perhaps they will be kind. If the review is negative, it will get buried beneath your usual lovely reviews as time goes on.  

They did stay, even though it was not for long, so they do have the right to review, as do you.

This is excellent advice. Very wise and sounds like it comes experience. Thank you!

Oh, and remember, @Sandra628, that you do get to reply to a review, but keep it very short and professional and address only what was written - not the star rating, which no one sees as attached to individuals. For instance, if they say the place is old and has mice, you could say something like "Our home is 200 years old; its age is part of its charm. We are happy to report there are no mice."

You'll know what to say. You can always run it by us here in the forum, too, before you post, if you like. But hopefully there will be no need for any rebuttal 🙂

All the best!

Sam253
Level 2
Sheffield, United Kingdom

How did their review go? did they leave a review? I would normally have waited until the end of the 14days.