Guests demanding too much !!

Bachir2
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Guests demanding too much !!

Hi Everyone.

I am currently hosting a couple and they are tooo demanding for the price they are paying for.

I explain:

The couple are on there 60's and the flat has been booked by their son which is probably 30. 

Before the booking he cam to visit the flat and see if it is good and all confy for his parents and he was happy and booked it. 

One day before they come there was some guests in the flat and have payed a cleaning service to clean the flat. The guests have left the flat a bit dirty ( Microwave a bit dirty and dirty bed sheets and some dust in the floor ) 

The parents have done an eraly check-in using a key that I gave to their son a day before and I told them that I finish work at 6pm and I will come over to bring clean bed sheets and make sure that everything is alright.

The son drop me 10 messages at 4pm saying that he will complain and need a compenstion because the flat was dirty. I simply said that I am coming at 7om as promised and I will sort out everything. 

I come at 7pm clean all the flat clean bed sheet sleaned microwave kitchen bathroom everything and brought them a bottle of wine !!! 

They come back and they were all happy about it. 

I come back home at 10 pm and he text me again saying that the floor of the bathroom is not clean enaugh and his mum is not happy and he needs a cleaner. 

I don't know what to do ???

They are paying 45£ for a newly refurbished studio flat in Fulham !!! for this price they can't even rent a room in the **bleep**tiest hotel in London !!! 

What would you do ??

Thanks

7 Replies 7
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Bachir2

First there are two things - thiis is a third party booking so you are operating outside of AirBnB policy and protection. Second - you let someone visit the place before making a booking - again outside of AirBnB policy to swap personal details before a booking is confirmed.

And then your problem....clearly it was not a good start, but...you sorted it out as promised. Their demand for a cleaner is unreasonable if the flat is now clean. How long are they staying? If it's just a few nights then grin and bear it. If it's longer then I would  tell them that clearly it is not up to their standard and you are asking them to leave and find somewhere else to stay.

Hi Gerry And Rashid !! 

Many thanks for your reply. 

Just to clarify the booking has been made through airbnb. The son has booked the flat but just wanted to make sure that everything was alright and I allowed him to come and visit. 

They are staying until Friday so 3 days left.  I am just afraid that they will complain about it and exagerat the facts as they are currently doing with their messages. 

Thanks

@Gerry-And-Rashid0

@Bachir2

This third party booking is outside the rules of Airbnb so why the "Bleep" do airbnb not stamp it out...

Rule X for example:

If you make a booking for a third party you will immedialely forfeit your Booking fee and the booking will be cancelled on immediate notification by the Host to Airbnb.

Bachir, do you also know that Airbnb will not indemify you against damage or loss under these circumstances.

I had a third party booking (instants Booking) which only became appartent when the first guests arrived to be followed by the second sets of guests a day later they weren't related to each other.

The up shot of it all is if everything goes well Airbnb get their guest fee 5 to 12 % plus you host fee of circa 4% and you get your fee, if it goes badly your on your own! because you broke the Airbnb rules.

I still can't understand how Airbnb get away with this kind of stuff.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Bachir2 sorry this happened to you

However, 

1. Never accept third party bookings - it's against BNB rules and you can't call on them for help if things go wrong

2. Never accept a visit to your place before someone books - they can see all they want from your photo and descriptions - people often use this because they are looking for empty properties for burglary. If they legitimately want to stay often it's a way to try and avoid paying BNB fees or pay a lower rate

3. Never give someone your keys in advance of them staying at your place. They shouldn't have access to your place before you had checked it and was happy it was of a standard you would be happy with.

4. Tell the son you are sorry he gave his parents the key in advance of when you said they could check in and that you have ensured the place has been cleaned to a good standard. That he is welcome to pay for a cleaner if he likes or come over and do some extra cleaning himself but you are confident that it is of a good standard.

5. Put your prices up - you wouldn't even get a BNB room for that price in Fulham. You need to clean inbetween each guests and have clean bedding and towels. If you work full time, you could look at having a cleaner do these duties and add the cost to your listing.

Bachir2
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Many thanks for your comments guys !!

I think I am missing something here ! Can you please clarify what do you mean by a third party booking ? 

Thanks

Hello @Bachir2,

A third party booking is one that is booked and paid for by a person who then doesn't stay.

In other words, in your case, if the son isn't staying in your listing each night then this is a third party booking.

Airbnb rules state that the person making the booking must be one of those who checks in to stay.

Can I book on behalf of a friend or family member?

Steve.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Bachir2

Third party booking is when somebody makes a booking for somebody else but will not be one of the guests.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/427/can-i-book-on-behalf-of-a-friend-or-family-member