Resolution & guest reviews

Alison97
Level 2
Altea, Spain

Resolution & guest reviews

I recently had guests staying in one of my properties and when they left after a month the house was disgusting, there was rotting food everywhere, damaged tables and chairs, dirty laundry and some items had been stolen.  Airbnb hold a 200 euro security deposit so I thought no problem.  I sent a message to the guest asking for 100 euros damages, which they admitted in a text, they offer 50 which I declined.  So I escalated it through the resolution centre, straight away the guest contacted me by text and said they would pay the 100.  I thought great and took no further action, stupidly waiting for the money.  I hindsight I was stupid because as soon as the complaint was closed and the timescale for writing a review was passed they said Airnb had found in their favour and they would not be sending the money.  PLEASE BE AWARE OF THIS LOOPHOLE.  From now on I am asking for a deposit on arrival and will refund it when they leave...if the guests don't like it then I will not take the booking.  Comments please???

3 Replies 3
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Take it as a learning opportunity...

First, for longer stays ensure that you agree up front a fee for weekly cleaning so that you can keep on top of things at your rental.

Second, next correspond by text - keep it on the platform and raise a case via the resolution centre. At least that way you stand some chance of getting payment.

Finally: asking guests for a cash deposit will get you kicked off AirBnB and you will get bad reviews in addition. It's better to think about how you should manage longer term rentals in my opinion. 

Finally - $200 seems a low deposit. Remember they don't pay it up front - I would increase the deposit and attract a better class of guest hopefully!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Alison97.....My, My, I learn something new every day. At times I feel there is a 'back room' somewhere in the halls of Airbnb whos job it is to find new ways of 'screwing' hosts!!

Thanks for posting Alison just another landmine to watch out for while crossing the Airbnb minefield!!

cheers.....Rob

I recently had the same nightmare experience where the guests damaged a brand new chair, refused to pay, Airb was involved, but despite all the documentation evidence, Airbnb ruled in their favour!!! I am seriously considering quitting Airbnb. It's so full of bull**bleep** and hosts are not protected at all. The security deposit is just a mirage. Hosts have no say. Only Airbnb has the final say.