Difficult guests ask for refund after check out

Joyce35
Level 1
Singapore

Difficult guests ask for refund after check out

Hi guys,
Currently I received my guests message after the check out.
We host the Airbnb since July, and everything was great, we try to manage and please every single group of guests. So far, all our guests are very happy and satisitfied giving us very positive feedback.
Until we met this guests. She is so hard to please
The problem is. First, she complain the towels are still damp, so that they clean the towels themselves.(every time the guests check out we have our cleaner to go and clean up, happen to be on the same day there are people checking out, so we don't have enough time to wait it dry.. but I thought it's not our responsibilities to offer the towels, we just try to give the towels as convenience) Second, she complain one of the shower room has no curtain. Third, she complain one of the bathtub has the crack.

As soon as she told us all the matters, the next day we right away ask for people to install the curtain for them
The bathtub crack thing we can't really repair for now, since that one need the big construction
The towels matter, I also asked them if you don't mind I can go buy and bring over the new towels, but they said don't need since they wash and dry themselves.

They told us because of no curtain and the crack, they didn't use the bathroom for shower.

But for all along the time, I never receive any complaination from any other guests.
I think all these matteres is because they don't want, not because they can't use.

But only after few days they check out, they try to ask for the money refund (total 4 nights, they asked for 2 nights refund)

But we disagree about it. So they will go ask for the Airbnb resolution center for the assist.

May I know how is that working?
I want to know what is the standard of asking for refund..

I strongly think they have misconception, confusion between hotel and airbnb..

We are not fancy, we are not perfect, but we really try so hard to satisfied the guests. After they complain about the things, I pay the worker to install for them. I also told them I can buy new towels and send it over. But the bathtub things(small crack) I really can't repair now.. it requires a very big amount of money and time.

Why all the guests are satisfied, no complain, but this guests got so many problems and want to ask for refund?
5 Replies 5
Sharon114
Level 10
Lincoln, United Kingdom

I do understand that you are trying really hard to please your guests.  To provide towels for guests is important and I don't know of any hosts who do not provide these.  Perhaps you do not have enough towels to ensure clean, dry towels are in place for incoming guests.  I would not be too happy if I arrived somewhere and the towels were not dry and ready for use.  In fact, damp towels could be interpreted by some as having been used by other guests and not being laundered.

With regard to the shower curtain, even though previous guests had not complained, it would have been better if one had been installed before you started renting out your place.  I agree that a crack in the bath cannot be resolved immediately and is something to be addressed as soon as possible.

It is not always easy to get everything right, especially when you are new to hosting.  It can help to imagine yourself (or ask a friend) using your place and see if you have covered everything.  You will never please everybody, you can only do your best.

In this particular instance I would let the guest deal with airbnb and if she requests a partial refund, just go with it and move on.

Good luck with your future hosting.

Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

Your listing photographs shows rolled up fluffy towels on the bed, ready to be used and the essentials also include towels.

It's not much fun drying yourself with a wet towel is it?

I know you say 'but I thought it's not our responsibilities to offer the towels, we just try to give the towels as convenience)' to try to get off the hook but the solution is easy, buy more towels.

As for the other complaints, put yourself in your guests position for a moment, and don't be so ready to be irritated and defensive - they might be correct in what they say. 

I think that if the guest stayed, the guest pays...and no refund should be issued. If those problems were that serious the guest should have complained right away and left to find other lodgings, or have airbnb find other lodgings for them. The problem with some guests is that they look for reasons to get a refund.....making a huge issue even if the hosts bend over backwards to please them. Those kind of guests can never be happy....they are only happy if they win and get a place for half the price that they booked for. Yes, there are improvements that could have been made on the host's side in this case, but to ask for a refund of half the price of their stay is extortion.

But in this case the guest did complain right away - and rightly so. It does sound like the bathroom is a bit of a problem - damp towels (yuck) no shower curtain and cracked bathroom ware. But i

Derek20
Level 1
East Point, GA

I have had a similar situation where my guest was locked out for a whole 10mins and wanted to be refunded for the whole day. What did you end up doing? Did Airbnb help in this issue at all? Im not sure what to do? Thanks for the info in advanced.