electricity payment on consumption

Answered!
Paolo9
Level 2
Sosúa, Dominican Republic

electricity payment on consumption

Hello to everybody!

Any of you charges electricity separately on consumption?

If yes do you ask a deposit when guests come in?

1 Best Answer

@Мөнхжин0 

Electricity can be very expensive in some locations. I can easily understand how a guest can use 20% of what a host is going to get paid each day, just in electricity cost, we in my state of South Australia are in that exact position. I can understand some hosts putting restriction on the amount a of power a guest can use. Some guests are power vandals, they will go out for the afternoon and evening, but not before they wind the air conditioning thermostat to it's maximum so they will have a toasty warm, (or freezing cold in summer) place to come back to.....they just simply waste power.

Having said that, the owner must state one of two options in the listing description.

1/.....Additional electricity will be charged to the guest on a usage basis.

2/....Electricity usage has been allowed for in the nightly listing amount.

The host has a right to expect the guest to be fair but, has no right to spring an undisclosed cost on the guest with no warning!

From what you are describing , the host does sound unreasonable and I would advise that you dispute this charge with the host telling her she is not entitled to make additional charges that she did not previously mention and let her fight for it through the Airbnb resolution centre!

Cheers......Rob

View Best Answer in original post

34 Replies 34

Hey Rob,

I've been doing one price and for the most part it's working out OK.  Now I have a tenant who is running the laundry everyday.  My other tenant (not Airbnb) said they hear the laundry going all day and they find the hot water tank is empty when they want to shower.

There doesn't seem to be any reasonable solution.  If the guest is staying only a few days it's not so bad.  My guest is here for an extended stay due to the pandemic.  I can't understand why 2 people would need to do laundry so often.

Since I'm ranting...  They jacked up the heat in the house to 25F and the downstairs tenants were complaining of being much too hot.  I went by the house and the tenants had doors and windows open.  They said they had the heat up because they were cold.  I told them to close the doors and windows.  Can't begin to imagine what goes on in some peoples heads.

Cheers

Cathy864
Level 2
Brewster, MA

My tenant book my home.  However it was not disclosed. They had a electric car & would be using my house as a power station. 

It is not included in my amenities. How do I recieve payment for the additional cost. 

BenkaandKeith0
Level 10
United States

No, we do not.

Andreï0
Level 2
Paris, France

Hello Dear Community, we rent 3 bedrooms / 100m2 flat in Lisbon area, city of Montijo. We do not have A/C but electric heater in all bedrooms and in the two bathrooms, individually controlled. Double windows. We explain to hosts that electricity will be charged outside the fee rate if they stay more than 1 week. Calculation is simple: kWh consumption x price of kWh average price.

I do not consider to be a hotel because there is no hotel in the town where you can rent a 100 m2 room! It does not exist. So, it is our rule, and we are very transparent. Either the host accept, either they refuse. We have 4.5 starts reviews, so I think we are doing great. We do not try to maximize our gains. Furthermore, we rent to cover our costs and earn some money with the least problems and avoid difficult hosts.

I hope one day AirBnb will link modern consumption control electricity (the one linked to internet) and AirBnb platform. I think it is aligned with sustainability, global warming and so on. Very important nowadays for the future of our planet. And that hosts will be able to control their consumption in real time and pay for it, automatically integrated to AirBnb billing system.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

Hmmm... Yes, well, it's a difficult problem, and most guests don't monitor their own consumption, and wouldn't expect to have it monitored in their STR. 

We also have a large space, heated with gas, which here in Spain, is very expensive (as is electricity, but we have solar power.. Different set of issues). 

The main living area of 80 m2 also has ceiling of 4-5m. That's over 350 cubic meters of airspace that needs to be heated (not including bedrooms) Granted, it doesn't get that cold here, but it can get near freezing on some nights. We need heat in winter. 

Many guests live in somewhat average apartments. 2 bed, 2 bath, 2.5m high ceilings, maybe 70 cubic meters of airspace in the main living area. Comparatively easy to heat to 25°c, and that's what they expect to get. They simply don't understand that our cost of heating is 5-10x what they're used to. The costs can approach what they pay for their entire stay. 

So, one solution is simply to jack the prices up and deliver their 25°c, if that's what they must have. But then, it makes the price appear abnormally high. 

Basing it on consumption makes sense because guests are inclined to be careful about consumption, but that adds the burden of measurement, and we don't really have that facility, and getting a meter installed turns out to be a huge regulatory ordeal and ridiculously expensive (we have a large propane tank, not measured city gas). 

So, we've simply created a flat rate energy surcharge of 15€ per day. It sometimes covers it, often not, but it helps a lot.  I think 15€ is probably the limit we can charge without guests getting too testy about it. But so far, it's been without much resistance. A few  question it, but when we point out the size of the living space, they seem to understand. Reluctantly. 

I don't think there's an ideal way to cover this, but this is the best we've been able to come up with so far.

Really, it's all in the psychology of the guest. Some get it, others don't. Something we just have to navigate on a per case basis.