New Review Flow for Guests

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

New Review Flow for Guests

New Review Flow

Hello everyone,

I know many of you have already noticed that Airbnb launched a new review flow, simplifying the process for guests to send more detailed feedback to hosts. There are already a few threads talking about this here in the CC and so I am really pleased to provide an overview of this product change for you.

We believe that detailed guest feedback is invaluable—whether it’s a rave review that encourages you to keep providing standout hospitality or a gentle reminder on how you can improve next time.

If a guest gives you less than five stars in any one category (cleanliness, accuracy and amenities, check-in, or communication), they can now choose from different focus areas in each category to help you know exactly why, and what to improve for the next time around.

To see what this process looks like, take a look at this Airbnb Blog article.

I hope this information will give you more insights around the new review flow. What do you think? Have any of your used the new review flow yet? Also, feel free to share any questions you might have on this.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

183 Replies 183

My father would have appreciated the butt puckering like nobody's business.

In the meantime, felon booker is driving me bonkers.  I think I'm writing in English but maybe it's Japanese cuz she ain't gettin' it!

@Wendy-and-Frank0

Well actually the only thing I won't answer to is Bob......it reminds me of sleazy auto salesmen! And that is probably a bit unfair to the many wonderful Bob's out there who will get you into a new set of wheels with 'sleaze' the furthest thing from the deal.

But that's me, I don't answer to Bob. Now that should clear up a few things. Wendy....it took @Andrea9 more than a year to work out if I was the male of this outfit or the female.

When I first started going out with my wife 49 years ago we would be introduced to strangers as Robin and Adrienne, and both being bisexual names it gave others a devil of a time trying to work out who was who....and we played along with it, sometimes all night just refering to each other as 'darling'.... 'the other half'..(no such thing as 'significant other' in those days)

I was born a Robin, have been called a few things along the way...whenever dad wanted something done it was always 'Robbo'..whenever someone else in the family wants a favour it is 'Robbie' ....but in general I like ....Rob!

Your sense of acheivement like mine must be all conquering Wendy. How good do you feel being your father's girl and taking a piece of him into whatever you do in life, having him there at your shoulder when you use that chisel or that sanding block! You have a great gift there that most people do not get to experience. Wendy I would love to see those photos!

This house was my retirement project. When we bought it in 2009 it was derelict, hadn't been lived in for 10 years! The termites had eaten out the roof structure to the point where almost half the roof had fallen in and we bought it as block value with a bit off the block price for the removal of what was here. But I could not let this stonework end up in landfill somewhere under some new ghetto box so, while everyone else shook their heads, I looked forward to the challenge. 

Apart from a plumber (which is required by law) nobody else has ever come onto this property and done any work. Everything that has happened here is a piece of me! I held an electrical contractors licence so have totally rewired the place and although I still have a long way to go, both Ade and I are more at peace here than anywhere else we have ever lived.

It did have these beautiful stone walls and in that photo that I included in that response to Helga, that is what the external walls of the house are like. It was sort of built like a medieval fort with all the rubble going into what should have been a cavity space. We have built a small additional area onto the house and changed the layout inside totally but wherever I penetrated an external wall that is what it looks like so as Helga said, I needed to put it behind glass....make a feature of it.

Maybe time we shut this down, we are so far off the thread Wendy....but I am going to blame @Helga for suggesting I make mileage of the fact 'uncle someone or other' cracked the floor by chasing possums with a shovel .....:-) ...

I love that woman's sense of humour....and Wendy, you may be able to learn from her carpentry skills as it appears 'Auguste' is responsible for almost as much damage around her house as termites were around mine!

Cheers.....Rob

Oh, @Robin4/Rob/AnythingButBob,

I love you!!!!

🙂

@Nancy67

I agree with @Wendy-and-Frank0 (as I do often 😉

and your recent post was just brilliant - en pointe and very humorous - always good to laugh so thank you!

Best Wishes.

This new review flow is LEADING the guests to expect amenities that were never apart of the place they booked. Most guests book based on price and now this flow is leading them to believe they were not offer enough for what they paid. The review flow is a good idea if every guest was objective and not self-serving. Hope Airbnb is prepared to keep losing hosts.

Usually Airbnb makes changes that are obvious benefits to their revenue. I am not sure why they want alienate more hosts by making an already difficult review system worse.  Ratings are already set up where if you receive anything less then 5 stars you have failed the guest   I do not believe guests understand that even a 4 is a bad review.  I have had guests now that have stayed with us more then 3 times.  Some still do not give us 5 stars yet when they leave they say how much they love our place and look forward to returning.  Most people think 5 stars is a rating you almost

never give out

In defense of airbnb, I have to say that this opo-up menue "what the **bleep** do you complain about, care to specify?" Is the fruit of good intentions, to make hosts happy. It's a direct result of a long discussion some 18 months ago (approximately, time flows fast).

we then asked for an obligation to the guest or at least a strong prompt, to detail a "bad " review or rating. We got that part and I'm not unhappy with it. 

Evidently we asked also that airbnb  use the same standards on both sides in the explanation. If 4 is bad, it should be labelled "bad" in the guest menu, so the guest knows, that he does damage. If it's not bad, then there should be no threats no nagging mails. 

What I see in such threads about ratings, is that most people take the nagging mails seriously and suffer from them or are annoyed or furious. 

Airbnb should consider the psychologic impact. 

Being scolded by a dominant business partner, humans temd to pass on the blame and we are consequently furious about the guests giving 4 stars. 

If one takes a step back, it's probably rather harmless:

1. I don't believe airbnb fires hosts for getting 4 star ratings. Maybe hosts, who create problems, unsatisfied guests, who will "never use that service again" and have at the same time 4 star average ratings. But to get a four star average, you need to get nearly never 5 stars. As for every fool, whom you can never satisfy, there exists a fool, who will say "marvellous " to a chaotic lodging, 4 stars average is a good indicator that the host is not made for the job. 

So, what's the rating and the superhost thing for? In my opinion, it's pure marketing, to create different products to attract different customers. Like if you produce a breadspread: you wrap it in plastic and sell for 1,50 in the normal supermarket. Then you fill it in a glass jar and sell it in another shelf gor 2,99. Then you put it in pladtc coated cardboard and put it in an organic shop for 4. Glass labelled vegan spread in theorganic shop for 5,90. It's always the same product, but you will sell more of it, if you sell it jnder different brands. 

We all sell the same product. A place to sleep. Maybe without the sheets even, maybe with a palace around, but in the end, there are limited variations. And as we are obstinate independents, airbnb has limited power to define our prices and marketing. The rating system gives them a bit more power in that domain. Hard work of some hosts, a certain character of host and lodging and the aleas of guest rating create "superhosts": Great a luxury category (the vegan bio spread). They set higher prices all by themselves, conscious of their value. 

Hard working, proud but just not superhost? They will set their prices high nevertheless (organic spread - sorry bio = organic, can't edit).

others will get less stars and will lower the price - you have your supermarket product. Some may be too slow for modern marketing: create automatic pricing. Combine it with guest satisfaction expressed by stars and you have your cheap supermarket product, when the algorithm brings some prices down. If they don't use automatic pricing, combine the stars with search results: no bookings for a while and they will play with their price anyway. 

The nagging mails are just to make us more receptive to the guidance. 

(I have a sarcastic morning, it seems). What hosts should be aware: there is nothing personal in all that. It's a statistical game to sell more nights. And they are extremely good at selling nights. If a host happens to fall in the right category, self perception and useful level to the marketing algorithm, they will be happy, be it as superhost or be it a someone who wants to be fully booked with the leadt effort. In the second case, just ignore the nagging mails. It's only hurtful, when the hodt's self perception differs from what would be the best nplacing for his product. You can always go against the suggestions and be successful at it, but it may be a strong hint to change your communication and / or your price. 

For the anecdote: I fid that about anyear ago: raised my price, changed wording and pictures slightly to cible other types of guests and decreased the number of 4 stars noticeably but got nearly completely rid of the "helpful suggestions " how to improve the place, if I was a magician. 

@Helga0 I can see why many hosts over the years have commented and praised your words in these threads - so let me add my thanks for your very good and sound observations.

I too like the new 'review flow' - and if as human beings we could take a breath and stop letting our amygdalas highjack how we respond to a well meaning host giving feedback (because they were asked to!), or a computer missive from Airbnb saying you better improve on your cleaning because a guest gave you 4 stars, we might be able to see the big picture and accept that Airbnb is a booking advertising agency that we (as hosts) can benefit from if we can ride the wave and manage our homes as a small business that needs to be responsive and adaptable to what our customers want. (Phew! that was too long a sentence - apologies!)

It seems a lot of hosts write into the community center crying or ranting about poor treatment and 4 stars meaning failure and Airbnb needs hosts and should be protecting them more..... perhaps not the best approach to deal with changing times ahead.

I watched Airbnb CEO Brian Chetsky on Sunday morning TV today and the wave that Airbnb is riding is definitely flowing towards customer 'experiences' and creating unique memories..... so I am sure there will always be a place for the spare bedroom space in big cities as well as nicely placed homes in pretty parts of the country for weekend breaks etc.. but the focus is on the guest, not the host, and this is as it should be. So let's all get on with it and appreciate the opportunity that Airbnb has given millions of us to make some income and meet some great people along the way. I for one will be working to make the best of whatever system Airbnb puts out there, knowing it will be imperfect, but certainly better than anything I could do on my own!

Best Wishes.

@Rachael26, I'll deal with "bugs" if he eradicates Location.

I missed the show this morning.

I was showing houses at 9 AM.

Interesting article about 5 star insanity ratings terrorize and trick why not fix them. It is about Uber but they mention Airbnb as similar.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Yep @Ange2 your Interesting article about 5 star insanity ratings goes right up next to  another interesting article about 5 star insanity

Thanks!

When I first got it, I'd printed out the text of 'my' Forbes article and hung it on the front of a book shelf beside the visitor space but still part of my space in such a way that it seems hung up for myself but clearly visible to guests. I never mention it, but noticed I've been getting pretty much 5 star ratings since then. Except for a guest with a foot injury who booked despite my 4 flights of steep Dutch stairs.... 

So am thinking of printing out your article but crossing out and replacing Uber with Airbnb and hanging it up on the front of my shelf too. 😛

@Andrea9

Thank you for posting those two salient articles.

Regards

Cormac

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Andrea9

Now go on....if you were to be really creative but didn't want to make a big deal out of it Andrea, you could print it out, laminate it and put it on top of that obligatory Gideon’s Bible on the guests bedside table! hahaha:-)

I am trying to put myself in the guests shoes, and if I saw something like that just 'lying around' I would possibly feel a bit annoyed because it would be obvious that it was 'surreptitiously' there for the guests benefit. The host sure as hell hasn't left it out to consult every now and then, like Martha Brown's cookbook or the Declaration of Independence or the Magna Carta!

Andrea I am now all the time trying to find ways of alerting the guest to the idiosyncrasies of the Airbnb rating system which do not involve that 'sledge hammer' approach.

I am now of the opinion that I will do a no nonsense page that will slip into the back of the house rules that will be entitled....

"For good or bad, this is the Airbnb review system and how it works"

I am not trying to slip one over on the guest, I am not sliding it under his pillow or sitting it on top of the bath towel for him to 'find'.

I am amazed at what percentage of guests do actually go through my house rules. It's not just a list of do's and don’ts, there are lots of nice glossy pictures, before and after shots. Second page is the weather forecast for the duration of their stay. Pages on the local wineries, walking/cycling trails, eateries in the area.....even business card section for the local taxis and leaflet/menus for restaurants. And last of all I am going to include this 'Review page' because it then becomes the guests discretion whether they read it or not. I am making a statement.....but I am not.

It's just another experiment, but I will see how it goes!

Cheers.....Rob

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Robin4 Good morning, and  you're probably right about how you include how the rating system works in the house manual.

I've thought of doing that too, yet decided against it. Visitors to my city don't seem to have the same inner pace as visitors to a quiet part of the country have, at least that's the way I feel. When I visit a city I pick up those vibes and want to get out there as quickly as possible, find my WiFi code and get going. Everything concentrated in a manual probably has less chance of being detected.

My bookcase of my art books 'n stuff seemed the better alternative at the time because with a number of guests commenting on it, it seemed to be getting some attention. That being said though, you do give me the idea of adding a hand-written comment on it, 'Airbnb be damned' or "The Magna Carta of brutal truth 😞  ' 

After printing out the copy of the Uber article I decided against hanging it up - waaaaay too much text. The other one on Airbnb rating system is better, so shall keep only that one. 

And Rob - re. that Gideon's Bible - is that the only one you put out for guests, haha?! isn't that against Airbnb's antidiscrimination act?... I mean there should be one for every faith and belief, shouldn\t there? 

On a trip through the amazing American south-west I visited the Mormon museum where they had this table with a collection of bibles from all countries in all languages; that would be one heck of a statement in a guest room! Though you'd have to add on a side table for the non-christian books too if you don't want to run the risk of having your listing taken down!  

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Lizzie

I have four-star accommodation at two star prices so where do I fit into this rating system, and yet I have a 5 star Airbnb rating across the board. This perplexes me a great deal.

A good number of chefs are quite happy to lose a Michelin star because the cost of keeping the extra star far out ways its financial return, food for thought pun intended

I have seen some beautiful listing on AirBnb modern, expensive, and fresh and think, how can they charge should low prices (Private thought, is it drug money financing these operations) and I have also seen apartment that I would call “shabby chic” where a host used their own taste to create a harmonious living space which I like very much.

How do I describe my own offering I hear you scream! well to be quite honest “utilitarian and good value” which is what I thought Airbnb was about?