New Review Flow for Guests

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

New Review Flow for Guests

New Review Flow

Hello everyone,

I know many of you have already noticed that Airbnb launched a new review flow, simplifying the process for guests to send more detailed feedback to hosts. There are already a few threads talking about this here in the CC and so I am really pleased to provide an overview of this product change for you.

We believe that detailed guest feedback is invaluable—whether it’s a rave review that encourages you to keep providing standout hospitality or a gentle reminder on how you can improve next time.

If a guest gives you less than five stars in any one category (cleanliness, accuracy and amenities, check-in, or communication), they can now choose from different focus areas in each category to help you know exactly why, and what to improve for the next time around.

To see what this process looks like, take a look at this Airbnb Blog article.

I hope this information will give you more insights around the new review flow. What do you think? Have any of your used the new review flow yet? Also, feel free to share any questions you might have on this.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

183 Replies 183
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

@Jennifer178

Well at least you now know you need to get the river moved!

David

@David126

I called the Navy Yard and the Port Authority and they said they understood and sympathized but the Deleware River was staying where it has been for thousands of years.  I tried.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Lizzie

Looks like I missed this thread yesterday.

When I look at contributions by

@Robin  @Robert And Nancy  @Branka & Silvia  @Rachael @Helga @Ann

@David126 @Daniel127 @Jennifer178 @Ange2 @Wendy

there's not much I can add. I personally feel strongly that these suggestive points will be giving guests ideas to complain about as if having them handy like that means it's something the host in question (or Airbnb hosts in general) are weak on.

I'm just coming back out of waaaaaay toooooo slooooooow season to have had more than one review since this implementation, and she was a lovely guest so didn\t expect any negative feedback.

I honestly wish Airbnb wouldn't pull stunts like this on hosts while not doing the same regarding guests. It's hard enough when Airbnb considers 5 stars normal and 4 stars bad. Kinda takes the fun out of hosting.

John498
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I got a four star review yesterday due to odours. In the private feedback which she must have assumed was going to Airbnb as she mentioned me in the third person, the guest said John's place is very clean but there was an odour of smoking in the foyer. I am vehemently anti-smoking but how am I supposed to control the foyer of a how where other people have flats? Crazy! And demotivating because if externalities like this count then why bother? Just settle for four stars and pocket the cash!

@John498

Exactly. How is this supposed to help?

David
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I have 10 reviews from the last week, so will give it a miss.

David
Lynne2
Level 10
Stellenbosch, South Africa

I seriously doubt that many guests can articulate why they would give a 4 star review rather than a 5 star.  Consider that for eons "5 star" meant that seriously upmarket hotel in a hot-spot in town...and who's bnb establishment can compete with that? 

@John498  I agree with your statement.  At first I thought the new system might be fairer but then I looked at my past 4 star reviews and the comments and yes I got 4 stars because the lino in the hall outside my apartment was scratched and looked dirty (it does get cleaned every week).  The comment was ' Outside the unit, lino etc was grotty. Can the body corporate or someone clean that up a little for you?'.  Another guest gave me 4 stars because aparently my apartment was perfect and they could find nothing wrong with it - well I guess they thought it was 4/4 star!  Hopefully that guest would amend the stars when confronted with the new system. 

Well I've had one guest review me yesterday, and one who hasn't reviewed yet but not sure which will be under new system and I have another one checking out today so I'll see what happens.  I am also going to be a guest next week so am interested in the seeing the new system firsthand.  It is sad to see that the 'Location' stars are still there - maybe just ditch the stars and allow guest to post a public comment  about location.  They can then say, 'beautiful garden and location but not near shops' or 'hard to climb stairs when you have 2 big suitcases'.  These facts would probably already be in the listing description so savvy guests would just disregard. 

Nancy67
Level 10
Charleston, SC

Seasoned guests who are familiar with stays are gong to be less damaging to Hosts in this new Review Flow. It is the new to Airbnb who need more guidance. It's also, surprising to me that younger guests, inexperienced to Airbnb seem to create the most drama and problems. As tech-natives, they tend to live in a photo shopped world of perfection and high expectations. (I have tech-native grown children)

I am not a particularly picky host, my rules are pretty lax, but I ALWAYS ask a guest at check in if this is their first stay?  I would say a good 75% of my 250+ completed stays are "yes."

When they tell me they are first time users, I ask them if they know that in addition to them getting to rate and review me for different points of criteria as a Host, that I in-turn get to rate and publically post a review them as a Guest? They NEVER know this. NEVER. I can see the wide-eyed look of tiny horror in their eyes and hear the silent butt-pucker. It always brings a little smile to my face. I gently explain in a very positive and matter-of-fact voice, this protocol keeps the trip mutually respectful and that by being a great guest, they are building a positive guest resume it can be the ticket to being welcomed anywhere in the world. I never tell them the reviews cross blind, and you have to give one to get one....Admittedly, it’s a little passive aggressive. Works for me.

That being said-- rather than justifying jobs with constant changes and implementing minutia to put more pressure on hosts, perhaps focusing on recruiting and educating new guests to the culture, protocols and just how amazing a guest stay can be if everyone understands how it all works? Just sayin' that, might be a better use of time and money spent fiddling with the websites?

Visualing butt puckering.

@Nancy67, you're a girl after my own heart!

By the way, I made a fabulous shrimp and grits dish the other day.  I was Inspired by your chef at Fig.  I think he would be proud to know this northern girl nailed it!

@Wendy-and-Frank0

Halifax and that boardwalk, yeah I am with you on that one Wendy....Where did this come from she says??

I needed to see what drives someone who comes to the Forum and in the space of a month hits a level 10, so I had a peak at your profile, and there down the bottom....Halifax Nova Scotia!!

Couple of years ago we did a ' Colours of Canada'  cruise from New York to Quebec, and Halifax is a stop-over.

Wendy in Halifax I am introduced to the new love of my life, Tim Hortons!

I was watching some Nova Scotian Crystal glass blowing and lead crystal cutting demonstration in an exclusive glass works just off the docks when this young girl came up and stood alongside me with an ice cream in a cup that was stuffed full of all sorts of goodies….chocolate chips, bits of fruit, wafers, liquorice and all sorts of other things. It looked fantastic and I asked her where she got it from, reasoning that it must be somewhere local and she pointed across the street to a large fast food place called Tim Hortons. Tim Hortons sells all sorts of fast food from bountiful fresh salads to a 'heart attack in a box', either dine in, or food to go, and on the window they have a sign that says ‘Cold plate Ice Cream’. Bugger the glass blowing, I made my way across the street, in the door and up to the ice cream section. There are bins of ice cream and row after row of things that you can add to the ice cream. There is a suggestion list on the glass, and all the suggestions have the most outrageous names. I looked for a while at the ingredients each of the suggested titles had and settled on a……now, this is their name for the combination, not mine OK. It was called, “Cookies and Cream, You love it doughn’t you Know”…fair dinkum, that’s what it was called. Hell, I sort of felt a bit of an idiot blurting that out in front of a heap of other people so I studied the other names to see if could just get away with asking for a cookies and cream, but no way, there were a number of combos featuring the ol cookies and cream so I just milled around a bit to see what other people would ask for. Other people were asking for things other than outrageously named ice creams  so, in the end I said to the waitress, “Can I please have the fourth one along from the left”….there that wasn’t that hard. Anyway she knew what I meant and got to work. I think she was used to people getting stage fright at the thought of actually asking out loud for what was being described. In front of her is a refrigerated metal plate! She got two big scoops out of the Vanilla bin and slapped them onto the plate. She then started to squeeze on Fudge, Caramel, chocolate, Choc chips and a couple of fat cookies onto these scoops. There was possibly some other condiments that I may have missed but then with a couple of metal paddles she worked this mass of components into a sort of pudding shape and then scooped it into a cup….Bloody hell did that ice cream taste any good, easily the best I have ever had….leaves Royal Copenhagen and Movenpick way way behind, let me tell you! It was so good I can’t wait to have another one. Tim Hortons is a large Canadian chain and our next port of call, Sydney, also in Nova Scotia there is also a store, so, guess where I took Ade the next day…..oh boy!!!

I took my ice cream cup outside and sat at one of the outdoor tables in this lovely town and savoured every mouthful of the cold plate ice cream. When I got back to the ship and explained what I had to the others and Sue (the girl travelling with us) said….”there is one of those on Norwood Parade nack at home”….well bugger me, I will lay a bet it’s not as good as Tim Hortons though!!!!

Sorry that is soooo long but I couldn't leave a single word out....didn't even get to mention the Titanic museum or the big explosion!!

Cheers.....Rob

@Robin4,

All the Tim Hortons shops in southeastern Connecticut went out of business a few years back.

I do believe that Halifax cream and blueberries make a difference so they can stay in business.  Our cows don't produce milk based on love.  They produce it based on hormone injections.  Sad!

The Titanic museum was something else!  My husband is a marine engineer (which is how I am able to travel to so many crazy places) so we can never pass up a good museum.

I have photos of "Halifax Treats" and the ice cream you describe is among them, I'm sure.  I'll have to upload it for you.  It's not as good as the real thing but the nostalgia will warm your heart.

The fact that I got to a rating of 10 in a couple of weeks is a strong indication of how terrible our weather has been.  Once I can work those gardens, there will be no time for sitting with laptop and iced tea perusing the musings of hosts from across the globe.

I am thoroughly enjoying reading all this.  Sometimes I laugh so hard, I risk spewing iced tea into the keyboard.

But if one more person asks how to contact Air BNB, I believe I may S-N-A-P!

@Wendy-and-Frank0 I know I am verbose, but I try to write with colour and style....I like to paint a picture or even a movie with words. What I write is that exact recollection in my brain of that snippet in time. I wrote earlier in this thread a response to @Helga about the birth of this house we live in, and I had tears typing as I recalled seeing this lovely man that I hardly knew, but have such  a lot of empathy for, leave us for his next appointment with destiny.

When you mentioned that bit about Halifax being your favourite destination......it all came flooding back to me just as it was when I was there and....I know...... threads are for designated topics, but I have a mistrust of DM.....to many glitches in it so I had to put my thoughts of that moment onto the keyboard.

So sorry to hear that may love affair with Tim Hortons has vanished in a plume of modified hormones. I really thought I was past the hormonal bit of life......sigh!

I hope the summer is not in too much of a hurry....I have developed a liking to your wit and the way you write!

Cheers.....Rob

@Robin4,

Are you Rob or are you Robin?  I'm thinking out loud now.  😉

I did read your post about your house recently and all I could think of was my mom and dad's 100-year-old house in Hermosa Park, Chicago, just minutes from Logan Square and Wicker Park (find the movie and you'll appreciate the beauty of urban Chicago).  My mom and dad stripped layers and layers and layers of oil paint off stair banisters and crown mouldings.  They refinished floors, repaired horsehair plaster walls, rewired the house for safety.  They restored the brick by retucking and remortaring as needed.  They did it all themselves, by hand.  My dad on a ladder, my mom holding on, me with the camera shooting photos for posterity.

I remember living in houses where we had to use the bathroom as dad was going to shut off the water to replace toilets and bathrooms, sinks.  My mom wanted a pot filler but it wasn't true to the period so she agreed to pass on it.

My father built every single kitchen cabinet by hand, out of maple, and with soldering and welding tools created the handles.

Ceramic tile, in the black-and-white octagonal pattern was laid on bathroom floors and subway tile on bathroom walls.  He did it himself with my mom.

I'd go home to visit, meet my brother there, and we knew it was a working vacation.  I remember helping my mother till clay soil to amend it with compost and sand and anything that would allow water to drain.

I lost my father on May 24, 2010.  I was with him, in that house, when he said his last goodbye.

I stayed with my mother for a week and found original drawings.  I went into his workshop and brought his chisels home.

They sit in my garage, on display, along with his chair with wheels, his crazy toolbelt/apron, and that big ol' clock that was always four minutes slow.

My father taught me how to cope and mitre corners.  He taught me how to change o-rings under toilets.  He taught me how to sand and finish portrait floors so that I always worked with the grain.  He taught me that finishing by hand was necessary as machines didn't handle the curves and grooves of the craftsmanship of years gone by.

I built a modern house which I finished six weeks after my father died.

I laid my own hardwood floors, mounted my own cabinets, set my own tile, and mitred all the corners for the trim around the doors and baseboard.

I brought my father's ashes home with me and planted a memorial garden with a modern pond and a plethora of hostas and coral bells, bleeding hearts and astilbes.

My father built grandfather clocks and so the coral bells.  Bleeding hearts reseed easily as our hearts continue to bleed for him.  The astilbes are Sister Theresa in honor of his mother, Theresa.  Forget-me-nots float on the pond above the goldfish, which remind me of the first goldfish he bought me when I was seven.

I finally found a rose named Margarita, my mother's name, and she grows cascading over the fence which encloses his garden to make it my private nook.

I built that fence myself, using all the techniques he taught me.  Measure twice.  Cut once.  Clean corners.  Sink the nails.

One day my mother will be gone and I'll have to do something with that fabulous house in Chicago, and I know that when that day comes, I will be saying goodbye to him yet one more time.

@Wendy-and-Frank0

I had to get this reply in to come before an older one that now comes after your lovely, moving post about building homes and memories and craftsman Dads (my father was an engineer, sailor and a stickler for vocabulary - and taught me how to build houses also) so I hope this post of mine will come after yours and before my older post which laughs about @Nancy's butt-pucker post!!

Here's hoping..... and let's ask for a warning sticker to come with these posts of memories "Tissues recommended" ... Sniff!

Best Wishes.