New Announcement for London Hosts

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

New Announcement for London Hosts

Hello London hosts,

By now, many of you will have received an email from the Team regarding a new system announcement in Greater London. This outlines, that from 2017 entire home listings will automatically, through the Airbnb system, be limited to 90 nights of hosting a year. I imagine you have several questions on this, so for more information take a look at these FAQs.

We understand that this may apply to many of you in Community Center, so we also wanted to highlight this new announcement to you here. Please do share any thoughts you may have.

Thanks,

Lizzie

-------------------Update on February 24, 2017---------------------

Hello Everyone,

I hope you are well.

I know many of you have additional questions on the above and so I want to keep you up-to-date and share with you the latest FAQ articles:

What short-term rental laws apply?

Night Limits

I hope you will find this useful and please do continue to share any thoughts you have, here in this thread.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

79 Replies 79
Bulent0
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

How does onefinestay overcome this issue?

Exactly! How are the other platforms dealing with this? Any news? I have heard no mention of any other platform enforcing this archaic law other than Airbnb.

By the way, I applied to OneFineStay as was turned down despite the fact that I was responding to their direct marketing of my property. It seems they are VERY selective.

Daniel

@Daniel-and-Marsio0 your place looks fantastic but, yes, Onefinestay is extremely selective as they are the upper end of this market. My friend is one of the founders/directors and actually used to live in my house! I wouldn't list with them as I live here in the property and can't vacate for guests, but I did ask him once out of interest if they would in theory list my space. He said no. The house itself fits their criteria, but not the location, which is not upmarket enough.

I will ask him about the 90 day rule though to see if he can shed some light...

Robert49
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

What evidence do AirBNB need from hosts that allows them to host over the 90 days?

Obviously the ideal evidence is something from the council, but I rent out a few properties for friends and family who don't have the time and aren't computer savvy. These are in different councils and, lets be honest, the councils aren't goign to rush to help ehre.

I have consent of freeholders (of both apartment and apartment building) and it is allowed in the lease of the propertys I host, surely there can't be more needed than that?

I think some clearer direction about what it is exactly that will need to be shown in order to host past the 90 days would be great

Zandra0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

You need planning permission from the council and it's unlikely to be granted as they won't want to repurpose the property from residential to commercial.

Hi everyone!

I am outside UK at the moment with a property in the borough of Lambeth, I would like to rent my flat via Airbnb now.

I need to know if I need a licence for this and is there a limit as to how many days I can rent the flat in a year.

Also just to clarify, how long is the touristic season in London?

Thank you so much.

Dalila

Greg76
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Starting from 2017? Middle of 2017, When exactly will it start? I wonder what will those airbnb managment companies do in London.

There are thousands of properties in central London that are not rented and landlords clearly struggle with finding long term tenants.

One of the option was short lets, now.... Something will come.

Ask you local letting agent, if you have any doubts. Most of the people earn £8 an hour in London. How do they live? Can  they effort 

to pay £3000 upfront for 1 bed in Ladbroke grove? 

Greg76
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

When will this automatic limit be introduced?

The automatic limit will be introduced for the 2017 calendar year. A counter is being developed for your Airbnb dashboard to help you see how many nights your listing has been booked since 1 January 2017. (The counter will refresh at the beginning of each new calendar year.)

I have a feeling that this was done for political reasons with no real thought of how it would be implemented or enforced.

David
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Some of the answers are in the FAQ @Lizzie linked.

My first thought is that people will use other sites as well and assuming the limit applies per property and not by booking format wonder how this can work.

Or those just wanting to use AirBnB will have mutiple listings, when 90 days is up, activate another one.

David
Greg76
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Yes David,

As it is not enough hassle with one profile, let us see.

Vanessa144
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

I agree, people will find ways around it. My apartent is already over the 90 days for 2017, I guess that means I need to fid an alternative...

Zandra0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

People will find ways around it yes, but at least no-one will be able to level criticism at Airbnb who have taken the brunt of criticisms about their effect on local housing markets. 

It feels like Airbnb can't win.  They do nothing and 

Zandra0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Get criticised, so they take action and get criticised! 

(Apologies for the weird formatting of my reply - still having issues with posting on iPhone ) 

Ronda4
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

I am with you on that Sandra.  If Airbnb hadnt taken this action they would be at risk of losing their market in London entirely!

I am very sorry for this Hosts who rent out entire properties on Airbnb commercially, but they should save their ranting for the local authorities not Airbnb.  If they have concerns raise them with local councillors.  Start a pressure group, this is political and I don't doubt for one moment that budget hotel groups have been lobbying for a long time.