new to this, cancellation, etc.

new to this, cancellation, etc.

Hi! Really hoping to get some advice. I'm new to airbnb, I just set up my account the other night and activated it unaware that the instant booking feature was on. I had two bookings while I was sleeping, but the parameters of their bookings weren't what I wanted (those particular weekends it was supposed to be set for a two night minimum and they only did one). I explained to the guests what had happened and they both agreed to book for 2 nights, but now those dates are blocked out by airbnb so i cant book anything at all and I'm stuck with fees and 2 cancellation reviews- is there anything i can do? So far very unimpressed with the lack of flexibitly and communication with the company. Any advice is welcome! Such as, can I just make a new account with the same address so I can have a clean slate? I'll pay the fees if i must, just really need to get these weekends booked. Thanks:))

3 Replies 3
David-and-Fiona0
Level 10
Panglao, Philippines

You have fallen in the trap of many new hosts who rush into listing without fully understanding the platform. Being unimpressed with the platform is unproductive as it works fine as long as you take the time to understand it. Anyway to your question. It seems you cancelled the reservations of your guests and had them re book with the extra dates. You were very lucky they agreed to do this. Closing your account and starting a new one is an option but you will be double hit with cancelation fees (for existing bookings). I would just suck it up and wait for the cancelations to be buried under (hopefully) good reviews. Good luck

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Hi @Corinne107, the way to have done this is NOT to cancel, but to CHANGE the reservation. Too late now, but it might happen again in 5 mins. I suggest learning a little about how to use the platform, maybe putting the listing on snooze until you have the general idea.

Em4
Level 10
Franz Josef Glacier, New Zealand

@Corinne107

I agree with you entirely.  here is a link to my similar post and the resolution:

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/New-Hosts/Unfairly-penalised-not-just-by-a-public-automated-post-but...

I would ring BNB (Airbnb) and talk it over with them.  In my view it is a rookie error easily made.  Even now, I do not believe this situation is explained at all well.  In fact a much better job could be done of it.

I think the important thing to realise is the word 'cancel' in BNB has a different meaning and very different set of consequences than pre-BNB life experience.

I now tend to ring BNB as soon as I believe I require advice.  I've found them helpful.

Let us know how you got on.