Unfairly penalised not just by a public automated post but also by blocking the dates concerned.

Em4
Level 10
Franz Josef Glacier, New Zealand

Unfairly penalised not just by a public automated post but also by blocking the dates concerned.

Was hoping there is something we can do about this:

AUTORESPONSE:
The host canceled this reservation 55 days before arrival. This is an automated posting.

Response from Christine:

IN RESPONSE TO THE AUTOPOSTING just so we're clear. A request was made for accommodation for 7 people in a maximum 6 person house. For some reason, this was accepted, but not by me. I put it down to a technical error - the software, broadband or a combination. Within 10 minutes I reversed the booking. It is interesting to see there is no difference between an error fixed within minutes and an actual cancelation after a clear commitment by both parties. I will add that for +-24 hrs prior to this occurring, a family were trying to book Lakeview for dates that would have overlapped the booking I canceled, but for some reason had difficulty doing so. I lost that booking as a consequence. Was imagining my first review with an air guitar solo. Now trying to banish the image of air violin played by a friend at my expense.

ps not only am i being punished with a public response making me look as though I committed to a reservation then canceled that commitment but the dates are blocked for any further booking through airbnb and these dates are in the height of summer.

18 Replies 18
Em4
Level 10

From a Level 10 contributor to a Day 1 user:

So sorry you are uninformed about the consequences of cancelling a booking. Understandably, Air BNB does not want hosts cancelling and as a result there are many penalties, one of which is that the cancelled dates are blocked. Nothing you can do about it except contact Air BNB to see if your reason for cancelling meets the "extenuating circumstances". If you need information about how to contact Air BNB, either google that or enter search terms for this site. Good luck.

Em4
Level 10

From a Level 10 contributor:

Community Guide - How To Contact Airbnb

I was always surprised about the question of How To Contact Airbnb and why people had difficulty finding the information (even given that the site is not user friendly). Now I know, having looked it up myself yesterday, it's an insane merry-go-round trying to find it, with so many steps and dead ends it's enough to try anyone's patience and goodwill, particularly someone with an emergency.

I find it insane that Airbnb do not make the Community Guide Contact Info post number one on the list in the Help section, it would mimimize a great deal of frustration and anger. Eventually people do find it or in desperation they ask (it is the most asked question) someone helps them out at which point they are more than likely seething or in case of an emergency at their wit's end.

Here are the twelve steps (and maybe more) for new users to find Contact Info - PURE INSANITY!

1. Type in Contact Airbnb under Help on your Account
2. Result: A page of posts about how to contact hosts and other unrelated verbiage appears.
3. Keep scrolling through the unrelated answers and at the end is a list of community forum posts with headings such as "How to Contact Airbnb" You think great, finally!
5. But no! This link to posts and threads on the forum from frustrated and irate hosts trying to find contact numbers
6. Result: Still no contact numbers.
7. Search the Community Forum
8. Result: A drop down list shows up and sometimes a post opens with the same frustrated question and still no answer.
9. Search Again and sometimes (not always) you get a list of posts, The first 4/5 posts and threads are from frustrated hosts again!
10. If you have the patience keep going, read each one or just choose at random, play the lottery!
11. Finally at number 6 or 7 if you have managed to get this far, you hit on a post titled Community Guide - How To Contact Airbnb
12. Hey Presto! Numbers and ways to Contact Airbnb - and now you are very frustrated and angry!

Ahh! What is the point of putting people through this grinder!

Em4
Level 10

UPDATE: Airbnb were pretty straightforward to contact today.  Only 10 mins waiting time.  Everything has been deleted and reversed.  No penalty.  No autoreview. 

Instant Book hosts get 3x cancelations without financial penalty.

Currently my advice for my situation would be:

1.  get the guest to cancel

Em4
Level 10

Another New Host with a similar issue, slight variation.

Also something I am noticing here is negativity and hostility toward New Hosts.  Don't take any notice of it.  Eventually you'll find someone who will offer helpful advice.

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Community-Help/Unblock-Automatic-Calendar-Blocking/td-p/178647