New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!

Marjo0
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!

**We now have a new introduction discussion, to view click here. We look forward to hearing from you. This topic is closed to new replies. Thank you **

Hi everyone,

Welcome to the Airbnb Community Center. This thread is for introducing yourself to your fellow Airbnb forum members, as well as welcoming and saying hi to newcomers in return, in order to make everyone feel like they belong.

I'm Marjo, and I lead the Community Center staff team who will manage this online forum on a daily basis. You will see me posting here sometimes, along with our other English community staff member @Lizzie, who has just joined as well and will be introducing herself in this thread too - Lizzie will be managing the English community full-time once we launch the forum.

Here's a few additional facts about me:

1. My favourite city is San Francisco. I spent hours and hours of time there on Google street view for years, until I actually got to visit the city in person recently. Such a friendly and colourful place!
  2. I have 2 cats which probably makes me a bit of a (crazy) cat lady.
  3. I'm originally from Helsinki, Finland.

How about you, any fun facts you want to share? 🙂

I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you so feel free to reply to this thread and say hello!

-------------------------

New to the Community Center? Check Getting Started for guidelines and info.

1,250 Replies 1,250
Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Welcome @Laura693!

I'm glad you've finally discovered the Community Center (CC)! 

It does sound like you are busy with your many jobs but hopefully you'll have time to get involved here in the CC!

Kirstie

Phyllis21
Level 2
Rhode Island, United States

Hi everyone,

I'm Phyllis from Rhode Island (originally from NYC). I recently listed a house on Cape Cod and am just getting started with hosting. So far, so good! The house is a 1.5 hour drive from my home, and I'm hoping this will not pose too much of an issue. I also hold down a full-time job, which is why some scheduling problems may occur. I'm hoping to connect with folks on Cape Cod in order to work out some kind of reciprocal arrangement where everyone wins.

Hosting, for me, seems like it will be a great fit. I enjoy meeting new people and sharing my knowledge of the area. For years, I wanted to run a B&B, but was never in the right situation. Hosting an entire house through Airbnb seems like I'll get many of the same benefits, and may be an even better solution for me.

I look forward to getting involved in this community. I love to help!

-Phyllis

P.S.  Hey, Laura, I have that saying tattooed on my arm in Italian. (Live, Love, Laugh!) It's a great life philosophy.

Hi Phyllis,

It's nice to meet you!  I have been hosting for almost a month

I am hosting while working part-time and it seems to be just fine for me.  I have to have times where I focus on different issues.  

My house is near the University of BC and I have had quite a lot of interest.  So far I have a very nice professor staying for a month and a half.  I'm meeting new people and that is fun!

Cheers,

Vi

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Welcome @Phyllis21!

That's exciting that you're just getting started with hosting! I'm glad it's going well so far - it sounds like you're going to enjoy meeting all of your guests!

That's great to hear you're keen to get involved here in the Community Center - I look forward to seeing you around!

Kirstie

Christine416
Level 2
Niagara Falls, Canada

Hi 

my name is Christine and I am a new host from Niagara Falls, Ontario Canada.  I am a wife and Mother of two grown sons and a Nanny to two beautiful grandchildren. I decided to give hosting a try since our home is empty six months of the year while we stay at our cottage. I have my first booking booked and am very excited to start this new adventure and hopefully make new friends along the way. Hope everyone has a terrific day.

Hi Christine,  It is nice to hear from you.  I have been hosting for almost a month and am enjoying the process.  I find the platform of airbnb to be helpful to me.  Right now I have a nice professor staying who knows a lot about earth and water.  I live near he university of BC.   I went to Niagra Falls several years ago to participate in a National Dragon Boat Race.  Enjoy hosting!

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Welcome @Christine416!

Congratulations on getting your first booking! It is exciting to get started with hosting, I hope it all goes well! It sounds like a great way to make use of your house if it would otherwise be empty.

Hope you have a great day too!

Kirstie

Hector50
Level 2
Culpeper, VA

Hi I'm Margie. My husband and I are new to Airbnb. We are both retired with two grown children.  We spend much of our time now hanging out with our beautiful dobermans. We are both of Puerto Rican decent but were born and raised in New York. A few years ago we decided to plant some roots on the island of Puerto Rico by investing in a small condo on the beach.  Now we have a place to call home whenever we visit the island. 

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Hector50 (Margie),

Welcome to the Community Center! That's great you've managed to buy a property back where your parents come from - I imagine it's lovely to have a base there that you can go to when you like and host guests there in between!

Kirstie

Hi Margie,

I'm Vi...I live in Vancouver BC and my vista is the mountains and ocean.  I have two ground children as well and a partner, Bill, who has done a lovely job fixing up my airbnb suite.  Your new place in Puerto Rico sounds like a lovely place.  I enjoy airbnb and hope you will too!  Cheers and best of luck!

Jess37
Level 2
California, United States

Helllo. My name is Jess.  My husband, kids and I started Airbnbing over a year ago at our house in Orange County. We just closed on a house in Las Vegas, where our daughter wil live and manage it.  My kids and neighbor clean the place in OC, but we need to find rliable cleaning people in Vegas and I am wondering what others did to find that. TIA 

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Jess37,

Welcome to the Community Center! Congratulations on getting a place in Las Vegas! I imagine that's exciting.

In terms of your question, I would recommend asking it as a new thread in the Community Help Board - it will be easier for other hosts to find it there and give you advice.

Happy Hosting!

Kirstie

Karen385
Level 1
Trinidad and Tobago

I am a new host my name is Karen ** my Island is Trinidad and Tobago

I live in Trinidad, I am very excited to have my home on Airbnb, looking

forward to meeting interesting travellers to come visit our beautiful island

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Karen385,

Welcome to the Community Center! It's exciting that you're just getting started, I'm sure you'll enjoy meeting different guests :).

I would recommend looking at our Community Help Guides to understand more about how different aspects of how Airbnb works and this thread 'What tips would you give New Hosts' has lots of great tips from other more experienced hosts for when you're getting started!

Happy Hosting!

Kirstie

Mary368
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Hello, Carolyn here. I just moved to Seattle and am starting an AirBnB with my S-I-L. I'm new at it, tho she may have more experience. I'm the onsite 'manager', so am interested in learning all there is to running The Best AirBnB possible. Many thanks!