Guests running AC 24/7

Fabiana310
Level 3
Uvita, Costa Rica

Guests running AC 24/7

I reviewed the community page before posting this subject and most of the post are dated.   I'm at a loss!  I have an issue with guests running the AC 24/7.

I have rules on the airbnb page (some read them, most don't), I have a sign by the door in my villa asking to conserve and turn off lights/AC when they leave.  Even during my check-in orientation I ask that they turn off the AC when they are not in the villa.  70% of the guests, ignore this, and leave the AC on all day!!!    

I'm in Costa Rica, electricity here is VERY EXPENSIVE!!  I would have to increase rates considerably for guests to leave the AC on 24/7, and that wouldn't make me competitive.  I think most airbnb's in the area just consider it a biz expense/loss.  And that may be so, but it really annoys me when guests ignore a simple request. The AC is very efficient and cools the space really quick, i mention that in the check-in orientation yet it is ignored.   

I guess I am looking for ideas/suggestions to tell guests in order for them to understand, it is not like North America where you have the central AC running 24/7.  

11 Replies 11
Karen4131
Level 10
Malmö, Sweden

@Fabiana310

I use the Sensibo Air with room sensor, which is compatible with numerous air conditioning units. The setup allows you to remotely control your air conditioner, including the option to set it to turn off during the day if no movement is detected for a certain period.
Just a thought.
- Karen

Thanks Karen4131!!!  i like this idea, I will look into it! 

Bob297
Level 10
Bilthoven, Netherlands

@Fabiana310 
Does your villa have an electricity meter?
If that's the case, you could change your advertisement and say that electricity will be charged based on meter readings. That way, you can reward the energy-conscious guests.

Thanks Bob297, yes the villa has its own meter.  I love the idea, however, that's hard to do, I only do short term, reading the meter during/after every check-in is too difficult to do.  Also, my competitors are not doing this and I'm afraid that I would lose bookings to my competition. 

It's something that is common for long term. 

Andrea2460
Level 10
Hallowell, ME

Electricity is very expensive in Maine as well.  I have a Leviton Smart Circuit Breaker System.  Each room is on its own breaker.  I have the My Leviton app on my phone and I can check consumption.  Here is a portion of what it looks like.  P.S.  My bad, bad security camera happened to go off while I was taking the photo.

Andrea2460_0-1710583861292.png

Andrea2460
Level 10
Hallowell, ME

Also, we don't have ACs but we have heat pumps with WiFi that also cool air.  I can control the heat pumps remotely, turn the temperature up or down or turn them off.  And we have LaCrosse Technology temperature monitoring that will send out an alert on my phone if the temperature goes above or below a certain setting.

Paul1760
Level 1
Indio, CA

Get a smart thermostat you can control from your phone. I had the same issue. 

Can0
Level 3
Chicago, IL

You can never stop that unfortunately. People dont care when they rent.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Fabiana310,

You have a fantastic place, and I will definitely think about booking with you on our next trip back to CR.  Electricity is very expensive in St. Lucia, and also had problems with guests turning off the AC while they were away.  We traveled to Martinique a few years, and our host had a key switch on the AC's power line and kept the rental keys together with a small lock.  Guests must turn off the key switch to remove the key when they leave.  We went to the hardware store and bought some for our rentals and that is what we use.  

Later on, we ordered more online: https://www.tme.com/lc/en/details/xald144/control-stations/schneider-electric/.  This company ships internationally and the rates are very reasonable.

WhatsApp Image 2021-03-30 at 7.40.45 PM.jpeg

Thanks for this!!  I will look into this.  I have a mini split and there is a remote control for it, so not sure this will work. But, I'm doing some research to see what can be done to control this.   

And yes, reach out if you are ever traveling to CR, would love to host you!   🙂

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Fabiana310 

We used to have that problem, and mostly solved it by removing all control from the guest. We set it nominally at 22°c in winter and 25°c in summer, and if they want it a little warmer or cooler, they can send me a WhatsApp and I can adjust it on my smartphone. 

But we've taken it a step further now. I don't know if this would interest you, but last year, we installed enough solar power to completely disconnect from the grid, and run heating and air conditioning with almost no restrictions, and ZERO running cost. Really, we don't pay a penny for heating and cooling anymore. And guests are happy. 

It cost about 30k€ in total. But it was done in steps. 5k here, 2k there... Until we had enough to power it all. And it works really well, problem free. 

It's not an insignificant investment but it's great to be independent. Especially when it comes to hosting!