Disable 'Instant Book' - can't find option anywhere.

Answered!
Jan54
Level 1
Breda, Netherlands

Disable 'Instant Book' - can't find option anywhere.

After using AirBNB as a traveler on my last holiday I decided to join the hosts and offer my own apartment.

One problem;

After creating my listing and looking at the preview I saw quests can book my apartment without prior agreement; the so called 'Instant book' option. I check all the help pages, but every answer points me to options that are no longer there, or at least not for me.

I would still like to have some kind of control over the guest, for example when because of work the guest schedules and mine doesn't match up for exchanging the keys.

I really am *NOT* up to letting people book without a quick exchange beforehand. Is there some way to disable this instant book setting? Or maybe a way to contact the airbnb team about this?

This is really frustrating, even more so since everybody else in my town is able to host without instantbooking enabled. I was looking forward to hosting, now not so much. 😞

Not a single option to disable instant bookMy option screen without a single option to disable instant book.

Thanks for any help.

1 Best Answer

I am a new host (started 17 days ago) and had the problem with Instant Book which led me to this community to find out more.  I did find out that while I can't turn it off on my computer, I was able to turn it off on my phone app!  Yipee!  So, now I have IB turned off.  It worked.  I did have to log out of my account on my computer and then search in my area again as a traveler in order to see the lightening bolt GONE!

Give it a try.

View Best Answer in original post

97 Replies 97

I am a new host (started 17 days ago) and had the problem with Instant Book which led me to this community to find out more.  I did find out that while I can't turn it off on my computer, I was able to turn it off on my phone app!  Yipee!  So, now I have IB turned off.  It worked.  I did have to log out of my account on my computer and then search in my area again as a traveler in order to see the lightening bolt GONE!

Give it a try.

@Kathleen-And-James0 You guys are geniuses!  Which phone app did it work on?  Please give details!

I use an iPhone and use the AirBnB app from the iTunes App store. I checked it on another computer and the lightning bolt is still gone.  When I open my app again now, it constantly asks me to turn it on (which I don't).

Great news guys, but can you be more specific.

I also have iPhone and Airbnb aplication but don't have any options to turn off IB.

Any help would be appreciated. 

Where in app you can disable the Instant Booking please ? I can't find it 😞 

@Kathleen-And-James0 While that might have SEEMED to work, I wouldn't necessarily trust it. Disconnects between the phone app and the website are many. Even if both appear to show IB off, guests might still be able to use the feature.

Hi @Dede0, long time no see! Glad to see you!  I just looked at @Kathleen-And-James0's listing and indeed Instant Book is turned off. 

Yay!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Just to let you know I have posted another complaint about this on their Facebook (under their promotion of the BnB open) which they have pinned to the top of their page with a link to this post asking for a public response on why they are making instant book mandatory for new hosts.

Let's see if they can be bothered to reply.

....I won't hold my breath 😞

One of those lovelyl glitches, I guess.  Shhhh.  Let's hope they don't fix that.

Thanks so much for this tip. Found on my phone and turned off. Hopefully the next booking won't be automatic.

Joff0
Level 1
Otago, New Zealand

I have just had the same thing. I spent a couple of hours setting up and have spent the last 2 weeks trying to switch off instant book. I also got the same dribble from some AirBnB rep about setting conditions. Amazing as soon as something works well, some smart arse comes along and thinks they know better. If it is isn't broke don't fix it. I have just had an instant book that I cancelled which I hate doing and is only a last resort. They will also start charging hosts if they cancel! 

I ran into the same dilemma. While having multiple properties on AirBnB, VRBO, FlipKey, Vacation Home Rentals etc...

Not all sites correspond with each other. Double bookings are just a result of this stupid "Instant Booking" while it increases money making INSTANTLY for AirBnB.

I called several AirBnB several times and was told that this instant booking is in a trial period, and may not remain......

Until then, we all should "snooze" our listings to show AirBnB that without OUR listings they do not make any money.

Very very frustrating!!!

I ran into the same dilemma. While having multiple properties on AirBnB, VRBO, FlipKey, Vacation Home Rentals etc...

Not all sites correspond with each other. Double bookings are just a result of this stupid "Instant Booking" while it increases money making INSTANTLY for AirBnB.

I called several AirBnB several times and was told that this instant booking is in a trial period, and may not remain......

Until then, we all should "snooze" our listings to show AirBnB that without OUR listings they do not make any money.

So very disappointing!

Very very frustrating!!!

Tunje-And-Jan0
Level 1
Holderbank, Switzerland

Just wasted 30 minutes searching for the 'Instant Book' feature in Manage Listing, in order to disable it. Airbnb 'Help' no help at all, as it incorrectly tells me where I can disable this feature. Now I'm reading these posts here and am quite shocked to read that this feature can in fact, not be disabled. This is a disgrace and simply disrespectful to all hosts.  

The INSTANT BOOK filter is now on by default when anyone searches their airbnb site... essentially turn all non-instant book properties invisible (guests have find the "button" to turn off filtering out "non-instant book" listings.  I was wondering why I was not getting a single booking during prime holiday season (without any communication from airbnb about their interface change) I've lost out, so has Airbnb on their 12% + 3% credit card fee commission for this season.

My home is not a hotel, I will not host guests that have communication problems that makes me uncomfortable. Guests have to arrange to meet at a specific time (when I'm not at work) to get the key.  I will not wait around between the "check-in" hours just for some guests to show up!

Change it back or I will host on VRBO instead.