Security deposit

Answered!
Debbie18
Level 5
St Just, United Kingdom

Security deposit

I have previously let my place through an agent wso I did not have to think about deposits. But, having read some of the posts here, I am wondering whether I would be wise to ask for a Security deposit. If so, how much and how does it work? Is it held by AirBnb? I haven't found details on the site of exactly how the process works. If it is there, a link to the page would be great.

Thank you

Debbie

1 Best Answer
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA
115 Replies 115
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA
Debbie18
Level 5
St Just, United Kingdom

Thank you, Clare. That is just what I needed.

I've spent hours rummaging around the site but still there is a lot to find.

I have now added a security deposit to my listing.

Debbie

Debbie, can you help me to do this please?

Now I understand, thank you so much!

I wonder whether there is a possibility to pay the deposit, I am the owner and guests, asking if they can not pay the full amount, and would like to pay a 20% deposit, whether Airbnb has the ability to host pay a deposit?

@Goran3 No, Airbnb does not have a provision for partial payments except for Long Term Stays of 28 days or more where guests pay in monthly installments.  

Actually, this is a good thing.  For short term stays the guest has to be able to pay the full amount.  As a host I'm glad that I don't have to spend my time chasing down late or missing payments and all my reservation payments are guaranteed. 

With regards to the Security Deposit, it is just a safety net for hosts in the event a guest damages or breaks something.  It has nothing to do with the cost of a reservation since it is only applied if the host makes a claim within 48 hours of check out.  

Hope this answers your question!

Hi Clare, about how much would you recommend asking for a security deposit? Our place is a one-bedroom with kitchen and sitting room/sofa bed, bathroom, nicely fitted out. Any idea what would be usual-ish? Thanks, Carolyn

@Carolyn288 There really isn't a universal guide for the amount of a Security Deposit since each listing is unique and contains various levels of valuable furnishings, appliances, etc. 

In my entire home listing (2 bedrooms, 2 baths) I have removed any items that a) are irreplaceable and or b) would be emotionally devastating to lose.  And, I don't have many very expensive items that could be damaged. 

With those caveats, I placed a $250 Security Deposit for major damages taking into consideration that there will be normal wear and tear over time that I would not hold against the guest.  

In three years I've only made 2 claims against the Security Deposit.  One was for stained pillow cases caused by dyes associated with a sleeping mask (I have no idea how that happened) and the other was for a lost key which required that locks be changed.  Both claims were for less than $100.  

Since Security Deposits are not charged to guests unless a claim is made and is either agreed to by the guest or, in the case of mediation, Airbnb, you can set any amount you want.  Take a look around your listing and see what the worst case senario might be and then evaluate the likelyhood it would occur. Also, if you have a non-smoking listing, you might investigate how much it would cost to remove the smoke smell in the event a guest violated that rule.  Most hotels, I believe, have a standard policy of charging $200 for smoking in a non-smoking room. 

I hope this is helpful!

Clare

Indeed it is, many thanks Clare!

If you have not read other threads: there is no such thing as a security deposit on Airbnb. It is very misleading. If used want a deposit yo need to secure it outside Airbnb. 

Judith83
Level 2
Santa Eulalia, Costa Rica

This FAQ does NOT answer the question about who collects the deposit, when, how, etc.  More details would be very helpful for us noobies.

@Judith83 You are absolutely right! But just so you know, Airbnb does not charge the guest for the Security Deposit at the time of booking.  Think of it as a reserve against which you may make a claim for damages caused by a guest.  To make a claim you would follow these procedures: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/264/how-do-i-make-a-claim-on-the-security-deposit

Judith83
Level 2
Santa Eulalia, Costa Rica

This is still clear as mud..  Does the guest never pay the deposit?  If there is damage, how do I get the money to pay for the reapirs if there has been no payment?  Perhaps I am being obtuse, but my property is new and well appointed.  I do need some kind of guarantee here other than just thinking of it as a "reserve".  Whose reserve?  Mine?  Yours?  Theirs?  And yes, I did look at the FAQ on how to submit the claim.  It's not very reassuring.

Juith Hickman