Will non-Instant Book Host be treated as 2nd class members from here on out. It's all about Search!

John353
Level 2
Durham, NC

Will non-Instant Book Host be treated as 2nd class members from here on out. It's all about Search!

After this last operational and PR nightmare  change in TOS, Host really  need access or should be better informed as to how the search algorithm works for how renters find houses when looking to book on Airbnb.  

Consider what it means if they list all Instant Books first then non-instant books!  There's already concern that Airbnb mucks with the search with preferences and biases for certain host over others - say host that never had to cancel a reservation or for SuperHost.  With IB, they already have a check box for filtering your search for IB, putting non-IBs at a disadvantage.  I really want to know how far they've already taken this behind the scenes in code.

21 Replies 21
Annette33
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

Interesting! just this afternoon I heard a news blurb on NPR that Airbnb is moving into the direction of not letting hosts have a choice in who they accept or not, supposedly it is anchored around discrimination that needs to be preempted. But I see it as a move that instant booking will become mandatory. We'll see whre it all goes... 

Margo5
Level 4
Austin, TX

You've made an interesting point. I wonder how you could find out if the search algorithm has been adjusted. As a new host, I would quickly become a former host if I was forced to use instant booking. I think this would push AirBnB more toward the empty rental units and away from the owner occupied units. That would be a shame, as I have always liked AirBnB because I meet such interesting hosts.

I received an email from Airbnb leadership yesterday saying that they are committed to having 1M hosts with Instant Book by 2017.  If that's the case, they'll need to find about 950,000 new hosts.  I spent some time writing a reply to the email, but of course it kicked back as undeliverable.  I'm very desirous of getting my message to where it matters at Airbnb.  Any suggestions?

No I don't know how to reach Airbnb leadership.  I'm hoping they read forum post.

Kelly87
Level 8
Los Angeles, CA

I thought IB listings got priority in search already.... No?
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I am keeping an eye on this, as the easiest way to make us choose IB on our own volition is to rank us last. I just now checked, and my position is exactly the same as it usually is. I do not want IB, but I don't want a low ranking either.

Kim-and-Jen0
Level 10
Oslo, Norway

Hi John, I dont think the non instant book host be treated as 2nd class. My neighbour did turn on his IB and his place always fully booked. It is just IB give the benefits for new airbnb guests to book faster without hassle, of course there is risk to meet guests if you not screen them carefully. It will affecting the host if the guest turn on the filter for instant booking listing only. When I search on airbnb website,  there are a lot of non IB listing appears on the first pages too. Good luck.

>When I search on airbnb website,  there are a lot of non IB listing appears on the first pages too. Good luck.

What?  Here's a link to inductive and deductive reasoning.  Please review to understand how false your conclusion is http://www.slideshare.net/darnellkemp71/inductive-deductive-and-fallacies.  Just because you searched Airbnb and found non-IB listing does mean the search algorithm does or does not favor Instant Booking.  The other problem with your post is that I'm speaking about the Airbnb's desire to drive more and more traffic in the FUTURE to using Instant Booking.   

Sharon114
Level 10
Lincoln, United Kingdom

If it becomes difficult in the future to have a visable listing without IB or I feel in any way 'second class' then I will simply stop hosting.  It would be a great pity because we obviously benefit from the financial aspect.  When we started hosting 13 months ago we were lead to believe that we had total control over who we invited into our home.  If this is going to change then it is not for us.

I totally agree, and I can't help but feel that most hosts agree with this -- that if we are mandated to Instant Book, then we will either stop hosting or go somewhere else.  I don't want to - I love the Airbnb principles, but if this is what happens to the principles, then I'm out.

If Airbnb moves to an all instant-book platform, I'll be finding a different place to list my three boats. 

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I think Airbnb will be expecting a small fall-out, but there are always new hosts. I don't want IB, but Airbnb has been the best platform for me so far. Have in years past been part of other sites but now have all my eggs in the one basket as I have absolutely loved what they do. What other site allows such non-traditional accommodation? Nobody.

Begging them to change back won't work (or I would), it is now going to be a question of how much we as hosts are prepared to change. Or leave.

I agree with your sentiment about Airbnb's platform, and we also have all our eggs in one basket.  We invested a lot of time and money in our 2nd home to list solely with Airbnb, after months of research.  I LOVE getting to know visitors from all over the world, and I love sharing all the special places in our hometown (Mt. Rainier, Mt. St. Helens, etc), and helping make special memories for good people.  But, we just can't be expected to allow people to have full access to our home without first having the opportunity to communicate with Guests and get to know a little about them.  Our home is in a remote area, and it could be burned down to the ground before we ever knew about it.  This move by Airbnb is made under the guise of anti-discrimination, and I am one of those convinced that the million Instant Book listings to embrace anti-discrimination is strictly a cover - otherwise why did they ignore the complaints over discrimination for far too long.  I'm so disappointed that Airbnb seems ok with suffering the "fallout" and losing excellent Hosts that have bent over backwards for Airbnb on their way to success for both parties.  I got mistakenly caught up in the romance of the ideal; forgetting that Airbnb has always been about business.  How do we promote inclusiveness and embracing diversity if we never get to know our Guests?

>but there are always new hosts. ....it is now going to be a question of how much we as hosts are prepared to change. Or leave.

Why do I hate this response so much?  Maybe, because of the frank, honest truthiness of it.  

So, it is get on the bus, off the bus, or under the bus approach that I'm finding offensive - not from you, my dear down under friend; but, more so from Airbnb itself.  

I've done everything I can to make my house secure for guest.  However, the use of Instant Book to solve a very, very, very deep rooted complicated problem is an OVERREACHING DRACONIAN move.  It leaves the host powerless to control the sanctacity and safety of their homes with the real threat of losing income by being punished for cancelling on guest who the host feels are not good fits their homes.   

Also, how can we remain 1099 contractor with so many stipulations, new training and regulations of our work being made by the website and not by us as independent contractors?   To an extent, we are no longer making the calls for when we work and for whom we work for.  With instant booking, I feel we're now employees of Airbnb, which I'm happy to be.  I hear they are a great company to work for with great benefits.  

But back to the question at hand, will those of use who prefer to remain non-Instant Bookers become second class members of Airbnb in the search aspect?  I sincerely hope that is does not become the case.  Those of use who still choice to use are minds and make decisions for ourselves should still be afforded the same opportunity and status as the new Autobot Registered Airbnb Homes.

I also feel that using Instant Booking as a tool to remove bias in choosing with whom to associate with, which is what this about, is over reaching.  How can they literally say your house is now open to anyone - regardless of your safety, comfort, and, again, freedom of association - remember this is in the bill of rights - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_association.  There is a case to be argued that folks rights to associate with whomever they want is being pitted against the rights of others to have equal access to ALL AND ANY thing.  However, we no it's well established that no everyone gets to go every where - take Harvard for example.  Should anyone be able to go Harvard?  I think so.  I would like to go to Harvard.  I've actually been.  Well, to the book store; but, I think somehow they get away with accepting a very, very, very low percentage of applicants.  But, what the Hell, let's start a required Instant Book campaign for Ivy League schools!

Another problem with the approach that Airbnb is taking is that it is all stick and no carrot.  It's very punitive with very, very, little if no incentives to change the behavior other than as we previously mentioned get on, off or under the bus.