Security deposit

Answered!
Debbie18
Level 5
St Just, United Kingdom

Security deposit

I have previously let my place through an agent wso I did not have to think about deposits. But, having read some of the posts here, I am wondering whether I would be wise to ask for a Security deposit. If so, how much and how does it work? Is it held by AirBnb? I haven't found details on the site of exactly how the process works. If it is there, a link to the page would be great.

Thank you

Debbie

1 Best Answer
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA
115 Replies 115

You are right BUT we did all the above and more!

So the only way to be safe is to disregard Securuity deposit of airbnb as it does not work and airbnb are NOT prepared to listen to what the hosts say. They onnly want to attract more guests!!

Only way is to take cash deposit from guest direct as one would normally when letting out a property.

@Harry-and-Andrea0

If you want to charge, and hold, a security deposit from guests, then don't use Airbnb.

Follow the rules or risk being delisted or a cancelled profile.

The system works if you follow procedures. Airbnb have supported and paid out many claims from hosts, and they have written about it here in the community center.

Hi All....

So we are new to AirBnb and have just rented our spot out for our first booking... 11 nights. We had advertised the space for 6 people, but the guys booked and then asked us if we could add an extra 2 beds. Since this is a large booking (7 guys and a girl out for a big party) for a long time, we thought it was quite risky. We discussed our concerns with them, they totally understand, and are prepared to pay a much larger deposit to reflect the greater length of stay, and the number of guests. However, I don't want to change the listing deposit price, because it's WAY to high if a family of 4 wants to book for 2 nights... don't want to scare them off. Any suggestions?

You can ask for a bigger deposit through the resolution desk, but why bother?  You'll never see a dime. @Tiffany27

Russell16
Level 3
Sandy Springs, GA

AirBnB does not allow security deposits!  It is so misleading it borders on fraud.  I just had my second booking and the guest contacted me becuase he had not been required to pay the security deposit required by my listing.  I called airbnb and was told that they do not collect security deposits.  In the eyes of airbnb a "deposit" is what the maximum amount the guest agress to pay later if there is damage.  I like many things about airbnb, but I, like many others, have had guests trash my place and then try to not pay for the damage.  This system of "no-deposit" seems like a recipe for disaster.  Airbnb needs to get its act together on this issue.

@Russell16 Yeah, I understand your point and I think Airbnb could do a better job at explaining how the Security Deposit works. 

Basically, the guest is not charged and the host is not paid for the security deposit.  Why? Because to do it that way would put the responsibility for refunding the guest on the host, and let's face it, many hosts would arbitrarily decide how much to refund (charging guests for overuse of toilet paper or breaking a dish etc)  or not refund at all and keep the money.  Don't think that would happen?  Think again...

The way Airbnb has it structured, hosts have to make a claim against the Security Deposit.  If the guest agrees to the charge, fine.  If they don't, Airbnb decides what's fair.  

I've seen comments from guests that believe that Airbnb is totally on the host's side and comments from hosts that think Airbnb always sides with the guest.  I guess they're doing a good job!

It is not a security deposit and they should not refer to is as such.  It is a limit of liability and if you are a host, you are a fool if you do not set it at $5000 since the quest only pays up to that amount and only if they are found responsible that that amount of damage.  Set it at $500 and you eat all the damages above that amount.  

If a host improperly took a deposit, then he/she would pay for it in bad reviews.  I have had 10x more bookins on VRBO than airbnb and I have had agreement on one charge against a security deposit and one that was outraged that he was charged for breaking three wooden blinds, ruining 3 sets of sheets, towels and leaving food on every square foot of the floor.  I have no idea what airbnb would have done, but I did not have to waste time arguing about it - I paid the housekeeper, replaced the items and went back to work.

@Russell16 Yes, they should call it something else since Security Deposit implies that a guest pays up front for this which on Airbnb they do not. 

Any ideas?

@Clare0  VRBO.  they actually allow you to collect a deposit and use it when there is damage.

@Russell16 Well then perhaps VRBO is a better fit for you.  I checked out VRBO but was put off by their up front fee whether I generated enough rents to justify it or not.  I prefer the "pay as you go" feature of Airbnb.  Is VRBO international or are they only offering properties in the US?  Also, does VRBO offer listings to foreign travelers and how do they handle currency conversions?

ask for the sky

Airbnb deposit does not work

they never pay

do not use airbnb unless you live in the house at the same time!!!

you will NEVER get paid for damages

@Harry-and-Andrea0

This is simply NOT TRUE!

The system works if you follow procedures. Airbnb have supported and paid out many claims from hosts, and those hosts have written about it here in the community center.

Eddy10
Level 2
Shah Alam, Malaysia

Hi, my name is Eddy. I found that the minimum for security deposit is MYR350 on my listing but my room rental is average between RM55-65 per night. So, If i still want to charge, do you think my guest is willing to pay this much deposit? This amount is to high compare to the room rate. Doesnt make sense.

@Eddy10 The guest does not pay the security deposit when they pay for a reservation, so no worries there.   A guest  would only pay part or all of the security deposit if a host makes a claim through Airbnb for damages.  🙂

Rick61
Level 1
Malibu, CA

I have a security deposit listed and I have no luck in collecing it.  I filed a police report and the police and airbnb have something in common.  Neither of them cares about protecting me.  I have a $5 million dollar home that has zero protection by airbnb.  I am contemplating removing my listings from this site.  You can't even talk to anyone about your problem.  It's horrible.

Richard