Insurance in UK

Kath5
Level 1
Shoreham-by-Sea, United Kingdom

Insurance in UK

Hi everyone,

I'm quite new to hosting with Airbnb and I'm worried about my insurance. The company I'm with now have never heard of Airbnb and I just can't get anywhere with finding out from them if I need to declare every time I have a guest. Has anyone else had this problem and have you found an insurance company who are able to advise you?

Also, do you declare your income for tax or are hosts allowed to earn a certain amount before needing to declare it.

thank you for any help.

Kath

14 Replies 14
Christopher47
Level 2
Plymouth, MA

@Kath5 I recomended a company to someone who has having similar issues in Israel. It's called Kef International. A colleague has used them in the past...they do homeowners policies and personal liability policies in a lot of countries. I have no vested interest in that company but it is simply one that I know of that a colleague recomended in the past. 

My homeowners insurance in the US didn't immediately recognize Airbnb but when I said "transient guest" they knew what I meant. It may be something local to my state, I'm not sure... but they added a provision to cover me in the event that something happens that Airbnb policy denies or does not cover.

Cheers

Kath5
Level 1

Hi Christopher,

Thank you for your helpful suggestions. I will look into that and see what they say.

Best wishes,

Kath

Victoria57
Level 10
Strathpeffer, United Kingdom

Hi @Kath5, as you are in the UK the best people to approach are Admiral (subject to some points below). They started doing home and contents insurance specifically for AirBnB hosts about 2 months ago and we were one of the first ones to take advantage of it as our previous policy (with a different company) was coming to an end. It cost us in total about 25% more than the previous policy but we did add some extras re the contents. You need to quote "Host" when you speak to them - you can't arrange it online - and make sure they are aware you are an AirBnB host. We found it all quite easy.

Some points to note:
1) Homes can only be rented out to guests for a maximum of 90 days per year. This will be no problem for occasional hosts or where you are not doing it all year. But the time limit means Admiral's policy add-on isn't suitable for people who regularly rent out their properties for extended periods. For that you would need a commercial guest house policy which is usually more expensive.

2) It can cover more than one room. The number of adult paying guests occupying your home at any one time cannot be more than double the number of bedrooms (for example, no morethan 4 adult paying guests in a 2 bedroom property)

3) The most they will pay for loss or damage to high risk items causedby Theft, Vandalism or Malicious Acts, or Accidental Damage while your home is occupied by paying guests is £5,000 or the amount shown on your policy schedule, whichever is less, unless kept in a locked securely fixed safe or removed from your home.

4) You don't have to contact Admiral every time you rent out your home or room on Airbnb. Once you've added the cover, you don't need to keep contacting Admiral to tell them you have a new booking.

5) Cover is only available to Admiral Home Insurance customers, and you have to add it over the phone. This means you can't simply buy Admiral Home Insurance online at your next renewal and be covered for hosting.

6) Second homes and holiday homes aren't covered; it must be the main family home.

As to tax, you should declare the net profit minus depreciation (10%) and costs for breakfast, newspapers, sheets, towels etc (keep the receipts!) or anything else you spend specifically for the rental. There is a £7500 rent a room tax relief  - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/rent-a-room-relief-increase/increasing-rent-a-room-relief - but you will probably need to complete a self-assessment tax return. If you have any concerns or questions it is best to ask an accountant who knows about tax issues.

Kath5
Level 1

Hi Victoria,

Thank you so much for your helpful and detailed reply.

i will definitely contact Admiral on Monday and see about changing my insurance over to them. I really didn't expect many guests when I first listed my room but it is going really well so I need to sort out insurance and tax!

Thanks again,

Best wishes,

Kath

Victoria, you are an absolute angel! 

I'd spent a lot of time last summer trying to find an insurance company that recognised airbnb type rentals and finally found HomeProtect who appeared to be the only providers (last August). They sent me a renewal this year which had jumped up from £467 to £767 as an annual one-off payment. When I rang apparently the underwriters have reveiwed their policies and it was underpriced initially so they couldn't budge. 

Thanks to your advice, Admiral have just quoted £504/annum for their top end cover (Platinum) which is a huge difference and Brittney was super helpful and friendly.

So very grateful for you sharing this tip. Happy Hosting all!  🙂

Katherine

Val4357
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Hi Katherine,

Can I ask if the price of £504 per annum was just the cost of Admirals Host insurance or was it including the cost of buildings and contents.

Thank you 

Val

Rhoda1
Level 2
Pitlochry, United Kingdom

That is really helpful news. Cant believe how insurance companies have been so slow to meet Hosts' insurance needs. Thanks for sharing!

Another company which understands Airbnb is HomeProtect - https://www.homeprotect.co.uk/airbnb-insurance 

Homeprotect do not cover accidental damage by you or your AirBnB Guests, so not sure what the point is of their AirBnB coverage when it doesn't cover your property for AirBnB guest issues.
Homeprotect doesn't understand AirBnB, they understand how to take your money for offering nothing over normal home insurance coverage (at 40% extra).

Pam34
Level 1
Poole, United Kingdom

Do hosts get automatic cover from Airbnb? I'm mostly concerned about a guest having an accident rather than cover for damage etc.  

Thank you so Victoria for your comments above.  I'm very new to Airbnb, and was just about to post a question that reflects all of your advice re: insurance and tax, so many thanks.  Don't suppose you know about Council Tax too do you?!  We are renting out our entire house, whilst living in our flat - we pay Council Tax on both, but I am worried about doing something wrong, so any help you can give would be much appreciated.  Last question, but do you know whether we need to get 'permission' from our mortgage lender prior to Airbnb?  Many thanks Victoria.  Mel

Cath5
Level 1
Inverness, United Kingdom

I'm in the UK too and was having a really difficult time trying to get an insurance company to even give me a quote.  I just wanted to share that I called Admiral and they were really helpful, and very competitively priced, so I'd highly recommend them to other hosts.

Lucy144
Level 1
Shepton Beauchamp, United Kingdom

Another company that's worth looking at is * - they offer a similar sort of thing to Admiral but it's more tailored towards hosts from platforms like Airbnb. It's also pay as you go, so there's not an annual fee, but a pay per night guests are staying system, so can work out to be cheaper if you're only a casual host. It's pretty comprehensive, and does actually cover for accidental damage, malicious damage as well as theft by the guest and public liability. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Lucy144 can you stop doing what you/your colleague was doing on another host forum and dragging up old posts with UK insurance queries and using them as an opportunity to promote your insurance company.

These forums are here primarily for hosts to help each others (and some travellers too).

Not for commercial company's such as yours to advertise their services.