Cancellation & Refund

Fairal0
Level 1
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Cancellation & Refund

Hello & good day,

Im a new host here in Airbnb. I have a guest currently living in my unit check in 31/01/2017 check out 28/02/2017. The guest contacted me few times asking for a 12 nights refund due to she cancelled  & going to check out on the 15/02/2017 instead of 28/02/2017. what is the solution for this case? Need advise, thanks.

11 Replies 11

It appears that the guest should be held to the long-term cancellation policy. https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/286/can-a-guest-alter-or-cancel-a-long-term-reservation  This means that she needs to give 30-days notice to get a refund from Airbnb unless you agree to the reservation change. If she cancels the remainder of her reservation instead of making a change, and can do so for cause, she will get a full refund from Airbnb automatically.

• Cancellation policies may be superseded by the Guest Refund Policy, extenuating circumstances, or cancellations by Airbnb for any other reason permitted under the Terms of Service. Please review these exceptions.

Following only the Long-term refund policy, this means you do not have to give her a refund. That being said, many hosts will tell you to offer her one of the following options:

1. Refund of 1/2 the remaining days or 
  2. Refund of all days you are able to rebook the room or
  3. No refund or
  4. Full refund for remaining days (letting her change the reservation)

There is no real standard here for this type of situation and it is your choice.  Personally, I prefer options #1 or #2 since you may not be able to book any of the remaining days at this late date and this gives both you and her some of the funds. To me, it's a good compromise. 

Karen-And-Chris1
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I have a booking which was cancelled the day before arrival but it seems the guest did not tell airbnb. The guest sent a message to me directly. I'm a new host and assumed the guest would tell airbnb so didn't take any action myself. I can't find a way of letting airbnb know myself so not sure what to do?

Jennifer178
Level 10
Philadelphia, PA

Hi @Karen-And-Chris1   if the guest has not canceled themselves, the booking is not cancelled.  If the guest wants to cancel, let them cancel through airbnb, DO NOT cancel yourself.  Messaging you that they want to cancel is not canceling. It is not your responsibility to contact airbnb. If they do not cancel you will still get paid. Tell the guest to go through proper channels.

Hi @Tania85 If you have made a mistake that negatively impacts the guest and you must cancel, then follow the procedures for canceling. Of course you will incure the blocked calendar, financial penalties, public humiliation of a notice on your listing and no superhost status for a year. If the guest is asking for you to confirm the cancellation, did you ask them to cancel?  A little confused about who's idea it is to cancel.

Thanks, very helpful advice.

Barbara460
Level 2
Gilbert, AZ

My guest needs to cancel due to she is allergic to cats and my listing didn't specify my pets were cats.  If I cancel her booking I will get charged $10 and if she cancels she will get charged $10.  Is there a way to do a mutual cancellation without any fees?

Barbara

Hi Barbara,

It is your fault for not having specified what kind of pet you have. I would recommend taking a photo of it and publish it so there is no doubt. I think you should assume your cancellation  fees. You learn from eveythings.

Angela338
Level 1
New South Wales, Australia

I have a strict policy on cancellation. Now my guest wants to cancel. what should I do?

Can someone advise?

Thanks 

Fiona114
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Hello and good morning, 

I also have a strict cancellation policy, so I believe the guest receives a 50% refund if they wish to cancel and inform you over 7 days before the start of their stay. Under 7 days they are not entitled to any refund.

My querey...

If I have a strict policy and I as a host, if I need to cancel for any circumstance, does the 50% rule apply to me also and I will have to pay the guest 50%/full length of the stay depending if I cancel within 7 days? OR is it just the $50 and $100 charge if I cancel within or without the 7 days? 

Thanks for for all advice, Fiona. 

Ignore this wont let me delete... 

I HAVE A STRICT POLICY. IF I NEED YOMCANCEL 

Hello All, please help, my guest is booked till the 8th of June. He told me that they found an apartment to rent and he is planning to leave this thursday- 1st of June. What should i do? What he should do? Is he due any refund?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Sylwia3

Just tell your guest he will need to cancel with Airbnb and they will be refunded in line with your cancellation policy.

You should not be penalised financially because he has had a change in his situation that means he needs to leave early.

Hello Helen, Thank you for that- will do so.