Wanting to cancel a guest without penalty

Doug56
Level 1
Southampton, United Kingdom

Wanting to cancel a guest without penalty

Guest has requested a cancellation as booked in error and ABB says i will suffer host penalties. IM quite happy to let him off the hook but dont want to suffer penaltiies

17 Replies 17
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Decline - tick the box that says you are happy to host the guest. If you accept the request you will be penalised. Let the guest take it up with AirBnB if they made a mistake. 

Adrian92
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I agree with you Doug, my experience was having to cancel as the guest couldn't check in at the time published. We clearly state that check in is between 6pm - 9pm  during the week as we work.  We can often be flexible, but I had to cancel a recent request as they wanted someone else to collect the keys and wouldn't get to ours until after midnight.  As they didn't ask this question before booking I was left with no option than to cancel them.  Airbnb allowed me this first cancellation with paying a fee, but sent a couple of emails telling me not to do it again and how I could disryupt someones travel arrangements.  As they had only just booked  and then started emailing me with various details of how they were getting to me, I hadn't exactly ruined their travel plans.

I don't see why I should be penalised for someone who does accept the check in or check out times, or at the very least asks if this is ok before booking.  We have and will always try to be flexible but I think this shouldn't penalise hosts who have clearly stated check in times.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Guest cancels, you can refund what you were due, AirBnB fees will not be refunded.

David

hi there, so the guest shall cancel and then refund them the other half of their money? as my cancelation fees were to strict but i want to refund them full. 

@George-Valentina0  Air BNB will refund according to your cancellation policy.  If you want to refund in full, use the Resolution Center to offer the rest.  Air BNB does not refund their fees unless there is an extenuating circumstance.

Rikke0
Level 1
Reykjavik, Iceland

I needed to cancel reservation within 30 minustes after I confirmed.. but the dates are now blocked..

How can I unblock them.... I gave my reason for canceling.. It was only one day that I could not host

i hva tried to contact AIRBNB but it is very difficult to find how to get in touch with them

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Rikke0

All the ways of contacting Airbnb are listed in the second post in the Community Help forum.

It is also worth you reading up on host cancellations and how they work in their Help Centre on their website.

The dates have been blocked because you cancelled as a host and Airbnb  penalises hosts who do this. They have blocked out the dates on your calendar as you have indicated they aren't available by cancelling the booking.

They expect hosts to keep their calendars up to date.

If you have instant book turned on, it's probably best for you to turn it off, so you can check each booking inquiry and request as it comes in.

Kylie sent a request at 2AM. Did not respond but it shows I accepted.  Tried to cancel reservation but would not let me.  What do I need to do.  Sent her a message that she needed to cancel. The 

@Bonnie52

You do not need to respond when you allow Instant Booking.

Why does she need to cancel?

David
Graham39
Level 1
Brecé, France

I have the same situation as Doug. My guest thought that she could sleep 6 people in one Single Room. When I stated this was not possible she wanted me to cancel so she could avoid the Airbnb penalties. I cancelld her res and now I am being threatened by Airbnb with penalties. We quit Owners Direct because of the "bully" attitude, now we seem to be in a somewhat similar situation. We are not novices to the B&B business (15 yrs) and have a reputation for caring for our guests. We don't think the Airbnb attitude is flexible enough - or are we missing something ?

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Graham39

Yes you probably are missing something Graham. The cancellation policy of Airbnb has evolved over the years since they have been in operation. It's not a matter of 'bullying' as you say! Hosts were dumping confirmed guest reservations to take a more lucrative offer! Airbnb had to make it un-attractive for a host to cancel a guest reservation, and that is just what they have done.

If a hosting cannot take place there are extenuating circumstances that will be offered to the host. All you have to do is contact Airbnb and ask!

This case of yours is completely open and shut. The guest did not read your listing description and when it was realised that she made a mistake she expected you to carry the can for that mistake so she could have all her money returned......Graham, really!!

Graham you do not take a car out on the road without being aware of the rules of the road....Hosting is not just about making a buck or two on the side out of your spare room! It is a business and it is up to you to know what you are doing.....not blame everyone else when something that you should have known how to prevent, happens!

I am sorry but posts like this annoy me when someone  blindly charges into a situation, finds they are in trouble and proceeds to blame everyone else.

Graham, here is a link to the help section you should have read before you started hosting. I suggest you keep it handy on your computer and if there is something you are unsure of look it up instead of accusing others of 'Bullying'!!

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/990/i-m-a-host--what-penalties-apply-if-i-need-to-cancel-a-reserv...

Cheers.......Rob

Hello Robin
I am sorry if I elevated your blood pressure somewhat by my choice of words. Yes you are right – I am a newcomer and I don’t know all of the rules yet. Quite honestly I have looked for them but haven’t found them all as yet as to me the Airbnb site is a maze which I haven't yet had the time to unravel. Being told I am to be penalised because I helped a potential customer didn’t, and doesn’t, make sense to me.
Robin I thank you for the information you have given me, but I had visited that page. It doesn't tell me where to go (careful !) to explain the extenuating circumstances.
May I suggest though that perhaps you should do what President Truman (not Trump)used to do and reply by writing a letter using all the invective and expletives he could muster to express his feelings. He then read it, then threw it in the bin. Having got it off his chest he wrote a more levelled and balance response.
Thank you once again.
Graham Davies

@Graham39  I will admit the Air BNB platform is not very intuitive for a new comer.  I have taught myself to use search terms in the Help Center to educate myself.  This host forum has also been an education for me.  I learn something every day.  As to the cancellation you did on behalf of you guest, the automated system reacted to apply penalties.  From you description, "extenuating circumstances" probably will not apply.  I see that you have Instant Book turned on, which may work in your favor.  If your communication with the guest was through the Air BNB messaging system, you could speak with the Air BNB customer service and ask for the cancellation penalties to be reversed.  On this Community Center, under Discuss, are helpful guides, the first being how to contact Air BNB including country specific phone numbers.  It might take a while to get through if you call during high call volume, but it will be worth it.  Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Hi Linda, thank you for a very informative response. I'll follow up on your suggestions.