Reduced Cost Housing for Cancer Patients

Laura728
Level 2
Louisville, KY

Reduced Cost Housing for Cancer Patients

Hello all,

My name is Laura, and I am a social worker at the James Graham Brown Cancer Center in Louisville, KY.  I primarily work with patients who have recently received a bone marrow transplant, and must remain in the Louisville area for approximately one month after they are discharged from the hospital (for follow up appointments, etc.).  As you may imagine, a huge barrier to care for our patients is the cost of staying in a hotel for a month after treatment. I am asking that any hosts in the Louisville, KY area interested in offering their Airbnb space at a reduced rate for our patients, please contact me at [personal information hidden]

I thank you in advance!

Laura ***

Oncology Social Worker

James Graham Brown Cancer Center

[Personal information hidden] 

12 Replies 12
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Laura728,

Lovely to meet you and welcome to the Community Center. It is interesting to hear more about your work and the accomodation situation. It is wonderful that you are looking into improving this and reducing something which must be a worry to your patients.

I would recommend contacting the Airbnb Support Team to discuss this further, as they might be able to provide some suggestions in your area. Here is a Community Guide on the way to do this.  

Also, for safety reasons as your post is publicly visible, I do have to remove your personal information. I hope this is fine with you. 

Best of luck with everything. 🙂

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Hi Lizzie,

I did contact the AirBnb support team, and was told to reach out to the Community Host page. If you have any advice or tips on promoting this message, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks so much,

Laura

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Laura728 for the update on this.

I will leave your message here and so if anyone is able to help, they can let you know in this thread or via the Direct Messaging system here in the Community Center. 🙂

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Laura728

I don't know how things work with the US health service. Here our hospitals and cancer services provide accommodation for patients and sometimes their families.

We also have schemes like this http://www.rmhc.org.uk/our-houses/ where charities build accommodation for families. Do you have similar ones in the US?

As this is an ongoing issue - has your organisation thought of crowdfunding or fundraising to help build suitable accommodation as a longer term aim..

David-and-Fiona0
Level 10
Panglao, Philippines

If I was in the area I would certainly help. I am sure the wonderful hosts here will chime in and help. Good luck!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Laura728

Fortunately in the UK we have free healthcare and this often includes accommodation for families for long term care.

I don't know how your health insurance works, but presume from your comments, that it doesn't include the costs of a patient accommdation, which is so sad.

Do you have cancer charities that can help with this.

As this is an ongoing issue, it would be worth looking at setting up a charitable arm to fundraise for nearby accommodation that your families could use.

In the UK McDonalds has a charity that funds this sort of care. For example here http://www.rmhbristol.com

Best of luck.

Our health care doesn't work and your health care isn't free.

*sigh*

Wendy-and-Frank0
Level 10
Stonington, CT

@Laura728, search for Louisville hosts through the platform and cut and paste your message to each of them.

A word of caution:  your number isn't coming up as the hospital number so expect some pushback on that as we tend to be leery of scams.

Your e-mail address with the domain name helps A LOT.

Wishing you much success with this endeavor; health care is a right and not a privilege.

Godspeed.

Kristen66
Level 2
Louisville, KY

Hello Laura,

Please contact me about this. I have worked with people in the past that have had similar needs. We used to spend time with Doctor Cesar Perez and he never mentioned this. We have a 2-1 that would be a perfect fit for someone.

Thanks

Kristen

Jill-And-Scotty0
Level 3
Louisville, KY

Hi Laura...

We would be interested in helping out!  Please let me know what we need to do to get our name on a list, what special pricing we need to set for these guests, etc...LOVE this!

Thanks,

Jill and Scotty

J-L-0
Level 2
Louisville, KY

Hi Laura, I’m new to Airbnb and in Louisville. I‘m interested in assisting cancer patients and hope to pay forward some of the care and understanding that my family members received during their cancer treatments. Please let me know what additional information you need from me. Thanks for making this request.

JLSmith

Deondra0
Level 2
Louisville, KY

Hi Laura,

I too am interested in helping out your patients. Contact me if you’re still looking for houding help for them. 

Best regards,

Deondra