Non-discrimination policy

Autumn3
Level 2
Santa Clara, CA

Non-discrimination policy

Dear Hosts, 

In response to all the media articles lately about discrimination against black people and transgender people on Airbnb, I have decided to adopt a non-discrimination policy and discount.  My hope is that other hosts will adopt this as well, so that Airbnb might even decide to make a non-discrimination policy a searchable amenity.  Here's my policy, feel free to cut and paste!

Non-discrimination policy:  Our home does not discriminate based on race/gender/religion/sexuality/or gender identity.  We will only notify you that the space is not available if the room is not ready, there is someone else staying there, or if your host cannot attend to you on those dates.  Additionally, there is a 25% discount for African Americans and Transgender persons that will be applied at the time of booking. 

25 Replies 25
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

You have a policy that discriminates, is that not against ABB rules.

David

@David126

I have confirmed with legal that my discount is not against Airbnb rules.  I also feel that it is not discriminatory, just as offering senior discounts to persons over 65 is also not discriminatory.  

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Autumn3  I would check with Airbnb to see if your discount / wording is ok.  There might be some conflict with Airbnb's Terms of Service.  I'm sure you are doing this with all good intentions, but it wouldn't hurt to double check. 

Sab-And-Vas0
Level 5
New York, NY

Wow, while it's great that you're accepting, I'm curious as to why are you additionally offering a discount to African Americans and Trans people?? 

Ash-and-Dasha0
Level 10
Redwood City, CA

On Airbnb booking page you cannot even choice the cancelation policy as a searchable filter. Have you tried booking lately? I have, it sucks. 

Plus you sound more discriminatory than you think you do by offering lower price to a particular class of people. You can actually do it on your listing since you don't fall within the fair housing rules  because you live on the premises. But it's naive to think that it should be a "searchable amenity"

Actually you still have the cancellation policy as a search option, you just have to choose 'More Filters' and it is one of the options.

Ama

@Amaris0

I just tried to search for it in the filters. I can't find it. Where do you see it? 

Screenshot 2016-06-08 19.59.47.png

I apologies for late response - once you choose the More Filters, you have the following options 

1) Options

2) Neighbourhood

3) Amenities

4) Cancellation 

Cancellation Policy

Flexible

Moderate

Strict

@Ash-and-Dasha0   I am not suggesting that the discount I am offering be a "searchable amenity", I was suggesting that hosts should be encouraged by Airbnb to adopt a non-discrimination policy, provide templates for such a policy, and that hosts who have agreed to do so could get some advantage by having that policy be a filter.  Personally, I don't really want to stay with hosts who are unwilling to adopt a non-discrimination policy.  The point would be to encourage safety amongst travelers from diverse backgrounds.

FYI: Marriot, Hyatt, and Best Western offer a senior discount as a searchable amenity.

@Amaris0

Amaris, 

I really want to see how  I can search for properties based on their cancelation policy as an airbnb guest. I followed your suggestion, but I still cannot see the cancelation (flixible/moderate/strict). Are you viewing it as a guest or as a host? If you are viewing this as a host, sure it's there but it's not a filter on the page when you are searching for properties. 

So rather than seeing a discrimination policy as a filter (btw hosts who live on premises can do whatever they want), I'd rather figure out more pragmatic filters which help me as a guest to make the right choice. 

Yes, I agree with you re the discrimination policy and guest living on the premises but hey….

Re cancellation filter, I'm look at it on my mobile not signed into Airbnb as host or guest just random member of the public, see screen shot

Screenshot_2016-06-11-00-50-13.png

Ed-and-Hugh0
Level 10
Miami, FL

@Autumn3 While it's admirable that you welcome everyone, I'm not sure they want to be treated differently...the whole problem is that they're often treated differently. I think they'd rather be treated the same as anyone else.

@Ed-and-Hugh0  No one has to accept the discount or out themselves.  

Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Actually whilst your intentions are good, I wouldn't be happy to be to receive a discount just because I'm black. A big part of non-discrimination is being treated equally not differently.

All the best,

Ama