Great blog article on Airbnb and discrimination

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Great blog article on Airbnb and discrimination

Hello fellow hosts,

I would like to share with you this great and very well-balanced blog article re. the pressure we are getting under the guise of  "anti-discrimination" regulation from Airbnb, certain individuals with an axe to grind, and the pretty much biased media needing to garner sales to survive (these last bits are my own words).

There seems to be increasing pressure by all kinds of souls with an overly-entitled attitude, individuals feeling the whole world is out to hate them, and cry-babies not used to facing rejections. They want regulations to force people to be 'punished' for not accepting them. Heck, they probably never even consider they might be rejected for other reasons. Like maybe they just looked like a punk in the picture or another gal who will probably irreparably stain your towels with her make-up layers... or didn't come across as a good potential guest in their text like the 4 young men looking for an apartment during spring break...).

The most important summary in this article is this for me:

…..I think Airbnb could clarify, that “Airbnb listings are the properties of private individuals who have sole discretion about whom to invite into their private homes.” Such a statement would help clarify, to those who are pointing fingers and scapegoating Airbnb, that as a third party it is not and cannot be responsible for the choices of its hosts…who are not running hotels, but offering space in their homes. Instead of accepting the accusations of racism/discrimination  as a challenge, a tech problem to figure out how to solve,  and rising up to meet this challenge with world-class consultation and technology, in my view Airbnb would have done much better to clarify that hosts, not Airbnb, are accepting guests, and hosts have freedom, and they aren’t obligated to accept anyone.

https://globalhostingblogs.com/2016/08/27/airbnb-and-discrimination/

37 Replies 37
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Andrea9 What an absolutely first class view...But I would have expected nothing less from you!

Over the past few years ABB have shifted from being a booking agent to being that real estate agent who lays down the law to a tennant surrounding a rental agreement!

Unfortunately we hosts are our own worst enemies and have allowed this to happen.....It should be up to us to encapsulate the scope under which we entertain the intrusion of strangers into our properties and our lives.....not ABB's!

With each new erosion of our rights.....IB....Smart pricing.....cancellation policies....anti-discrimination stance, we meekly buckle under because we do not want to be seen to be 'out of step' and be penalised for not conforming......

But as individuals we are weak and have little option!

As a block we should all reject 'Smart Pricing'! There is nothing in smart pricing for the host....it is merely a tool to keep more business within the grasp of ABB and to enhance their profits! It is pure self interest and they do not promote this with the host as the beneficiary.

Every host who uses Smart Pricing weakens the voice of those who don't.

Every host who uses Instant Book weakens the voice of those who don't.

The time will come when we are compelled to either accept the platforms rules in entirety....to the letter.... or we are precluded from listing!

I will do my bit for the good of us all, I will not use smart pricing, I will not use IB and I would ask all the rest of you to do the same.

It may not do any good but, if enough of us say....'Hey, this is not acceptable, we are the risk takers here' then we may just be able to make a difference.

Thanks Andrea....you are a diamond!

Cheers.....Rob

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Robin4  I'm happy I didn't shatter my 'diamantin' reputation! 😉

The author is extremely well-spoken, analytical, and intelligent, which is why I've been following her postings. 

What we are seeing with Airbnb are symptoms of a larger malady. They are obviously only ceding under the pressure of what is wrong in our immediate environments in our individual societies in a world that is becoming increasingly less free for the individual. And technology - as helpful as it is and addictive and necessary - also injects a poison to restrict freedom by being able to enforce the restrictions.

As you say, we are weak. Weak in that we only see ourselves and our own concerns. It's with anything in life and the world. If we all did or didn't do something together at the same time the world would be a different place. Not that I'm calling out to do this, but as a mind excercise - imagine if all hosts all over the world went on holiday simultaneously and snoozed their listing for just one single day or two?! What if all humans didn't spend money on a single day. Or all soldiers and fighters didn't follow orders for one single day. And on and on. I sometimes imagine what that would do and think that it would certainly make a change, but it always seems to be a few initiators or cooks trying to aim at change and calling into a deaf void...

Anyway, the story on restrictions hasn't been fully written yet, and in my belief it's not going to get better. For every step there's a new reason to install another restriction. And why would restrictions stop when everybody just concedes after a few initial outcries.

Okay, rant over.

Crustt0
Level 5
Apollo Bay, Australia

Does anyone use smart pricing? Be lucky to break even if you did.

We use instant booking because that's what customers want, it makes it easier for them to plan their trip.

I turned off smart pricing! There is nothing smart about that! Vacation Rentals is great because you can talk to and feel comfortable with who you are allowing in your home. 

I finally decided to list my entire property on ABB, at least until it sells.  I laugh when I see the recommended pricing...who in their right mind would offer a 3749 sf custom home in Scottsdale, AZ for $69 a night?!  NOBODY.  My $300 ($500 during special events) nightly is one hell of a price break for that much space and this area.  Not to mention the bathrobes, L'Occitane shampoo/conditioner/soap, Keurig and 18 varieties of Kcups, chocolates, free WiFi, etc.

I do this because I love to entertain and I definitely have use for the money, and I'm not going to go broke over some ridiculous algorithm that severely underprices my property.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Melissa173

"who in their right mind would offer a 3749 sf custom home in Scottsdale, AZ for $69 a night?!  NOBODY.  My $300 ($500 during special events) nightly is one hell of a price break for that much space and this area.  Not to mention the bathrobes, L'Occitane shampoo/conditioner/soap, Keurig and 18 varieties of Kcups, chocolates, free WiFi, etc."

The problem is that Smart (dumb) pricing tries to serve 2 masters - guests and hosts - and that doesn't go well. And it doesn't know local events or holidays.

And it seems that it's more important for the platform to rent out a maximum of days. Just saw an interview with an agent that said ABB would rather rent out 6 days for $80 than 4 for $100.

Well, there are not enough of us to have any effect on Airbnb.....unfortunately. They also make it difficult to respond to posts here.

I think if we all let Airbnb know how we feel it will made a difference. 

Thank you for your input on pricing and instant bookings. I am new to Airbnb and hope to start hosting in February. I did not go for instant bookings because I am concerned about strangers in my home, my safety, and the damage that can be done by guests. 

Thank you for giving me the courage to stop smart pricing . They brought my room down to 50/night! I'm very new just had my first " guest"  and have a beautiful home in Hawaii. I'm not giving it away!!! It was too low . 

There is nothing smart about smart pricing! I do instant booking but you still have time to screen everyone. 

I just wanted to applaud these posts. It is my home that I am sharing! I also get offended when Airbnb sends me messaging reagarding smart pricing just to get more bookings. I want quality not quantity! I already spend a lot of time to get my home ready for my guests and believe my listing is more than reasonably priced. I wish they would stop that

I agree completely! We must not give up our rights as private property owners who many times live in the same house from which we rent the rooms. 

Coreen in Montana

Nancy207
Level 2
Swellendam, South Africa

Exactly we are taking the risk not anyone else. Good on you well said.