Excellent Forbes article about the weakness of the Airbnb star system

Jude7
Level 10
Rhinebeck, NY

Excellent Forbes article about the weakness of the Airbnb star system

@Andrea9 - A big Thank You to Andrea for sending me a link to a recent Forbes article that captured  my frustrations in another post about the confusions of the star system.  I know........  this is a topic that is repeatedly discussed.  But perhaps the reason it keeps getting discusssed is because of the frustrations caused by the flaws in the system.  The Forbes article says EXACTLY what I was trying to say!  How timely!  And in Forbes, no less.  Just last week.  If it has reached the pages of Forbes, it must be a real issue. How can Airbnb be oblivious to the confusion the star system is causing?

Here's the link to the article:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/sethporges/2016/06/29/the-one-issue-with-airbnb-reviews-that-causes-host...

The point of the article (for those of you who hate to click links!) is that hosts see the star system as a measure of meeting guest expectations.  Some guests, on the other hand, see the stars as a way of rating the luxuriousness of their accommodations.  In other words, a modest place that is fairly priced, with over-the-top attentiveness and excellent  host support might still never rate more than 2 stars from some guests' points of view - because on their scale - it's not, and can never be, a 5-star luxury hotel.

Until there's some consistency in what the stars mean, this system will never be fair.  Until I started reading some of the posts on this forum, it never occurred to me that a star rating was anything other than a reflection on how well expectations were met.  But as I've been reading, and now supported by the Forbes article, I can see that some guests think it's a system meant to rate the category of the accommodations, not expectations.

I'm still holding my breath before reading a review - even if I know the experience was a lovely one.  I'm finding hosting to be a wonderful experience that has far exceeded my expectations as to what it would be like.  I'm discovering that I'm really good at providing hospitality, and that I like it!  But I'm also discovering, as the author of the Forbes article pointed out, that this poorly defined star system is creating a stress that I didn't expect to find.  And what frustrates me the most, is that it is a situation that can be easily rectified, simply by defining what the stars actually mean.

I'm thinking that I might educate my guests as to what the stars mean from a host's point of view - in other words, a reflection of expectations.  My place is an upscale camper that is sure to exceed expectations.  But if a guest believes the rating system is similiar to that which rates luxury hotels - I'll never be rated more than a 2 - in spite of my over-the-top attempts at providing for my guest's needs. Because I am a camper in the woods, after all.

Maybe it's time to revamp the system?  So again I ask - does anyone from Airbnb admin read these forums?

Jude

43 Replies 43
Ana7
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Great article, @Jude7!!! After this, it is not at all necessary for the airbnb staff to read the forum, it's enough to read the Forbes 🙂

Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jude thank you for sharing this article, it's refreshing to note a public voice express the concerns of so  many if not all hosts.

Ama

@Amaris0@Ana7 - Thanks for sharing  your comments.  The frustrating thing is that it is such a simple fix - simply print a standard defintion of what each star means.  I've never seen a rating system that didn't first indicate what stars mean.  

We are in the hospitality business - the business of serving the needs of others.  I think we all look to our guests to give us feedback regarding what they loved, and what they might have liked to have been different.  I find that serving others is such an easy thing to do, because they tell us what they need.  It's how I've approached anything I've ever done in my life.  Because no matter what we do, we are serving someone else in some way.

I also know that there is an energy created, a momentum, so to speak, behind any endeavor.  I understand that positive energy, which comes from people feeling well cared for, creates momentum in a positive direction.  I also know that lots of upset, fear, anxiety, frustration, bitterness, creates momentum of a different sort.

Fairly new to reading this forum, I was surprised at all the legitimate negative concerns being expressed about all sorts of issues, from mandatory instant booking, to hosts being removed without communication from airbnb, to guests with unreasonable expectations, to legal conflicts, to this very star system. Until I became involved as a host, I thought airbnb was a marvelous concept, which is why I decided to get involved in the first place.  

Just like I listen carefully to those I serve, because I want to create a momentum of positive energy to continue to allow my success to unfold, it surprises me that the number one complaint I seem to be reading about is the apparent lack of concern and communication from Airbnb admins.  It's so easy to fix, that it surprises me that there seems to be such a lack of response, and a disregard for the thoughts, feelings, and comments of those who are in the trenches - those who are being served by the organization, both hosts and guests.

I once heard it said that how one does anything is how one does everything.  Perhaps it is this disregard for the well-being of hosts that is carrying over to the worldwide struggle Airbnb is having with legal regulations.  In any business I run, my number one commitment is to listening to those I serve, because they are the ones letting me know what they want from me, and ultimately, they are the ones paying my salary.

It all comes down to communication.  Lack of communication causes upset and bitterness and resentment all around.  And that is never good for business. For anyone.

I read lots of posts on this forum about frustrations.  But I read very little about resolution.  And so I ask - what sort of system is in place for there to be real, helpful, positive communication between Airbnb admins and the people they serve? And if there isn't one, how can one be created? We're actually all on the same side!  It has surprised me to discover there seems to be an "us against them" mentality, when it absolutely doesn't need to be so.

Airbnb is a wonderful concept, one I am excited to be involved with.  The impact goes way beyond money.  I am discovering the joy inherent in creating real relationships.  Look at this forum - people are communicatng from all around the world, and we are all learning the very valuable lesson that we are human beings first, nationals second, and that we are all way more alike, than different.  It is through the creation of global community that change occurs.  Real change always starts at the bottom, and the top  only reflects what has gone before.  

There is power in community.  There is power in relationship.  The Airbnb model has the ability to impact the world - not the hotel industry, not the financial markets, not the lawmakers.  It has the ability to create a change in the way things are done because of sharing a common desire to make the world a little bit better for everyone we meet.  And that desire, as small as it is, has the power to move mountains.

I, for one, would like to see real dialog between the Airbnb admins, hosts, and guests.  Because I think this is a model worth saving.  The tone of these forums is often negative, simply because posters feel their voice isn't being heard.

Well, I'm hearing the voices.  The question is, how does one bridge the gap so that positive momentum can be restored?  Because I suspect that if the momentum were to change from frustration to mutual support, Airbnb's legal battles might start to change as well.

I'm getting off my soapbox now............  

@Jude0 for the president!!! 🙂

(I'm really not kidding! you're the most positive voice I've heard in months!)

@Ana7 - Uhoh.......... what did I get myself into? 😉  

All kidding aside, I thank you, Ana, for feeling the positive and cooperative tone of my post.  Yes - there are things that can be changed.  There always are, and always will be.  It's part of the thrill of growing a business or an organization.  As things grow, nothing stays the same, and things that may have worked at one time, no longer work.  I actually love the process of adapting to changing needs, because I listen really, really well, and I am motivated by a desire to serve. And I believe that it is from that combination that true success occurs. How can it not?

Not sure if I'm ready to run for President......... 😉  but I am sure that this is a good model, one that has the potential of serving in a powerful and global way.  But the negative tone coming from the frustrations of many about lack of communication with the airbnb admins and a seeming disregard for the needs of hosts and guests is creating a feeling of anxiety and helplessness that can completely negate all the postives that Airbnb provides.

We are in a new time.  A time when service needs to come before financial gain.  Because when one comes from a desire to serve, the financial gains can't help but come as well.

I would like to think that my comments are opening a door to dialog of a very real kind.  The Airbnb model IS a good one, one I am thrilled to support.  All it takes is a little bit of communcation, and things have the potential for changing in such postive ways.

And maybe, just maybe, this is the start...........

Do we have any kind of reaction from Airbnb regarding this subject? 

Has anyone noticed any kind of change in prompting guests to leave a review? Are they still asked to knit-pick?

There is another fault / weakness in the Airbnb Star System -- "the life" of the 1st couple of 3 or 4 star ratings that I got when I first joined Airbnb - the first season was a major learning for me about what was expected THEN like lot of other hosts for thier new listing the property is renovated or upgraded incomparison to the orginal listing - BUT the old  first few Reviews with wheir lower star ratings seem to last forever ??  The old Reviews drag down the over all score from my listing that recieves now mainly 5 Star reviews ! - WHY not have a system that the Reviews relate to the MOST RECENT say 10 last reviews ??  which is more fair - more relative and more up to date !!!!!!!!!!!!  ?????????????????   Please modify the REVIEW SYSTEM !!!!!

!  I never thought of that. You should be able to do something about older reviews if you have remodeled.  Another thing that Air BnB does not consider.  I HATE their review system! 

Kate93
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Hi Jude

You took the words right out of my mouth. I've just had a guest who gave me 5 stars for everything and then 4 stars for overall experience?!? I shouldn't let it get to me but it does! I think the issue here is that we're allowing people into our homes and they are then judging/rating us. It's the one hard thing about being a host.

@Kate93 - Until there is a uniform system in place that clearly defines what each star rating means, we'll never know why one guest rated us one way, another guest another way.  I assumed the stars were all about meeting expectations.  But the Forbes article, and other posts I've read on this forum, have shown that people have a wide range of understandings about what the stars mean.

This seems like a needed improvement in the star system, and one that would be easy to implement.  When our success or lack of it depends on these very important stars, it surprises me that something this valuable has not been defined.

And so I ask - how does one get their voice heard?

I have no idea how we can get our voices heard other than we all cancel our listings until it's changed.  But who is willing to do that? Maybe a class action lawsuit? But we need to prove damages. If we have lost bookings because of the review system, that may be an option but hard to prove. Maybe the best option is to contact more news outlets and get them to do more press on how unfair their ratings system is. Those are my ideas.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I have a lot of one night stays and having to rate everyone is becoming a a pain. So I tend to use the same verbage with maybe a tweak for a particular cases. Maybe different if you only have one or two to do every month.

I have not carried out a survey, but my impression is that most people just look at is another booking system and probably look at needing to do a review as something other systems do not require them to do. Some people are into the review system, some people just want somewhere to stay. I doubt many people spend much time thinking about it.

I was doing a review of a party this morning and realised that the person I spoke to most was not the one who did the booking and will do the review. Would I have done anything different, no, but perhaps I should from a review system perspective.

The major issue is perhaps that we all know how few people read the basic information, how many will read what the stars mean?

David

I'm new to Airbnb... We've had one guest that really enjoyed our place.  We have two more bookings.  I'm very happy with Airbnb so far.  As a Host, do we get points or gifts with the Star System?

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Dale10, no gifts, sorry. You do get a rough idea of the guest experience. If several guests in a row remarks on cleaning for instance, then check that issue. Several in a row remark on poor communication? Start replying sooner and better.