A more INCLUSIVE Airbnb? LGBTIQ, Racial Diversity etc

Paul0
Level 10
Brunswick, Australia

A more INCLUSIVE Airbnb? LGBTIQ, Racial Diversity etc

Hi All,

The Airbnb community of Hosts, Guests & Staff are fantastically diverse and a lovely mix of the human condition. Yet of recent times, there has been growing concern over the known and unknown biases inherent in the platform (made up of tech and humans). Only the other day did Brian Chesky note this was a concern they will be investigating.

I appreciate it has been discussed on the old Group platform, but personally I've changed my mind (of late) so thought I'd bring the discussion up again.

What do other Airbnbers think about enabling Hosts to actively share that they are 'XXX Friendly' as a category of your listing? Historically I've been of the mindset of 'well, I am open to all and everyone on Airbnb SHOULD be' so had felt adding this wasn't necessary.

Now that the community is SO large (no longer for just early adopters) we are attracting more conservative types... this issue is certainly becoming more prominent. I'd happily highlight the fact we host people from all walks of life if this gives new Airbnbers additional confidence and comfort when planning their travels.

I think it's time for some tangible change here. Airbnb needs to step up and lead - the vast majority of the Hosts are ready.

What are your thoughts?

(PS - I hope I worded this correctly and apologise if my wording isn't 100% spot on relating to starting this discussion)

Thanks,

Paul

---

If someone provides a useful response send with a thumbs up!

Useful Links to Check Out:

Co-Organiser of Melbourne's Finest... Hosts too! 🙂

36 Replies 36
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I am truly NOT a fan, sorry. And I am a member of a minority group. Should someone state that they are friendly to my particular group, I assume ''tolerance'' and I am not interested. That, in my view, is treating people apart and I just don't want that. One might, however, wish for one's hosts to have similar interests, religious understanding, cultural background, alphabet, whatever, and that is usually immediately apparent in the host profile or picture. Take your cues from that.

A booking website I was a member of, now long since defunct as it was sold and merged, had all the tickboxes. I dutifully ticked everything. Then I realised that everyone ticked everything, and it meant absolutely nothing.

Then you have areas of the world where how you behave really matters. You can see it in some host profiles where the host clearly states ''This is a XXX country, we do this and don't do that and you are expected to also, as a guest''. How will they tick the boxes? They might be really friendly to a guest of a certain religion or whatever as long as you behave in the correct way, as you should.

Sorry @Paul0! I really don't want it, as it just doesn't help. I might be able to word it better but the general sentiment will stand.

Agree 100%

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

I don't like the idea at all.   It should be the default position that we'll host anyone.  It's up to the individual hosts to make it very clear in their listing description and subsequent communications if they have a problem with hosting a guest from a particular ethnic or cultural background and/or sexual orientation etc and it's then up to the guest and/or Airbnb to take action if they believe it's warranted.

I believe that asking people to make a positive action - i.e. by advertising their willingness to host LGBTIQ etc - has the effect of normalising prejudice.   Being truly inclusive shouldn't be such an exceptional thing that one needs to tick a box declaiming it.   It should simply just 'be'.

Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I'm sorry Paul, personally I don't like it and I won't use this options.

I'm with @Sandra and @Louise in their reasoning, somethings are best left alone and to individual guest/ host to address if need be. 

Rosemary19
Level 4
Victoria, Australia

Whilst I appreciate the sentiment, personally I think it is a given that I am welcoming of everyone. Hosts who do not welcome certain people should just decline the booking requests.

Daniel33
Level 4
Basel, Switzerland

I don't like the option neither. As stated by the previous replys it wouldn't help much, as every host wants to appear as modern tolerant people, while the reality might be different.

On the other hand, I think this discrimination discussion about refusing certain guests, in general, does not make much sense. I think any host should be completely free to accept or deny a booking request for any reason s/he might put weight on.

Don't get me wrong, please.

Me personally absolutely don't care about the sexual orientation or skin type of a guest and I truly think that discrimination of any kind in the society must be abandoned and it is very very sad, that there exist so much of bad treating of people for racist, nationalist, sex-phobic or any other reasons.

But as a host I want to be free to choose whom I take into my home. I can understand female hosts that want to host only women, for example, and I wouldn't feel discriminated as a man. I can understand a muslim host if s/he only wants to host muslim guests, because s/he wants to share his or her prayers and the rules his or her religion. This is not necessarily a discrimination, but a personal preference about who you want to share your home with.

In the end we preceicely ar NOT hotels, but personal hosts of personal guests and this makes a huge difference.

If I would be guest at a home of somebody who hates what I am and only accepted my booking because s/he was forced to, I wouldn't feel comfortable and I would very much appreciate if s/he would have denied my request.

We could go much further. Do I want a guest who votes for Trump? Hell, no! Hope he doesn't even come close to my neighborhood. Do I want a host who proudly keeps weapons at his home and will talk to me about his heroe state for killing so many in his military service? I'd run away immediatlely. While I absolutely don't care if for his or her love life s/he prefers man or women or transgender or all or none.

From each and any point of view the world is full of a**h**s (the respective other ones), and if airbnb wants to keep the idiots off, it would soon be a very small community after defining who, for the once taken view point, is idiot or not.

I think, airbnb should be open to anybody, even to people who vote for Trump (who for sure at least support any kind of racism, nationalism, religious discrimination and all the bad we know from history). Only criminal people, people acting illegal or people treating their guests bad, should be excluded.

For all the rest, I think personal preferences should be absolutely free and denying of any request should be possible without any need of justification.

Well Paul, I think this discussion you have started really points to that we dont want to tag people we will accept.  I agree with everyone else, and I really think Airbnb should rethink having these tags.  Lets welcome guests who would like to stay.

Paul0
Level 10
Brunswick, Australia

Thanks for sharing your thoughts - appreciate it. Continuing the discussion...

It is interesting that being a 'Superhost' (an artificial badge) is something Hosts would happily promote yet showing solidarity to minorities attracts a 'not broke so don't fix it' sentiment.  

Sometimes setting the example IS the first step. The arguement around 'everyone will just tick it' I don't agree with, there will be some Hosts who won't want to and they WILL leave. Good. If that's the best outcome possible - it's a resounding success isn't it?

Meanwhile Airbnb are firing up their #HostWithPride campaign in response to growing concerns.

Cheers,

Paul

---

If someone provides a useful response send with a thumbs up!

Useful Links to Check Out:

Co-Organiser of Melbourne's Finest... Hosts too! 🙂

Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

We are all individuals with a right to our personal believes, for whatever personal reasons without the need to explain ourselves to other people, so long as we do not hurt anyone in so doing.

To give an example, I'm a black lady and I would not appreciate specific messages/tags/ badges however it's dressed up which suggest black people are welcome, I would find it very rude actually to specifically single us out; if you accept me then you don’t need to advertise and delight in some form of glory at my expense, how do you think I would feel constantly being reminded that I'm the minority; acceptance is natural, it’s  when it is a given that you can do/ be involved in  something everyone takes for granted, not when it is advertised that you are accepted.

In addition, you also need to take into account everybody’s position in this matter and the bigger picture, which is each person’s reason for their preference in guests, particularly in one's own home, it is not enough or even acceptable to impose rules on hosts in their personal space without knowing their personal circumstances or do their personal circumstances/ reasons, not matter/ count? Such badge will indeed draw attention to two groups, those intended to be made more welcome and those who do not/ cannot accommodate all groups, personally what i see it two uncomfortable groups of people.

There may be more flexibility when letting entire properties but in particular, when sharing your personal home, priority must be given to the host in terms of safety and comfort not the guest. Each individual host determines this based on their choice of guest given their personal circumstances. If a host does not feel comfortable in their home you can be sure the guest will not have a great experience so what good is a label in such an instance?

The fact is some people prefer to be around others with similar interest be it religions, sex, age, interests, culture, believes etc. and it is everyone’s right to a choice. A super host badge is no comparison; it is based on feedback from the guest you have chosen to permit to stay in your home not form a random selection of people. 

@Amaris0 fully agree with you.

It is indeed very rude actually to specifically single out one or some groups! Why not put a badge "accepts white" and take all the other for given? Or do we put some hundreds of tags (accepts mexicans despite trump, accepts asians if not from north corea, even accepts asians from north corea, accepts ultra catholics, accepts KKK members...) ?

@Paul0 I understand your good intentions, but your solution does not work. What does it mean when you say "showing solidarity to minorities". Who is minority? Hispanic people in the US? Pale faces in Africa? English speakers in China? Christians in India?

There are lots of people who are very open minded, but do not want to host a drug junkey, for example, although they might help personally and very engaged in adiccion or homeless centers.

Again, one can have it's personal preferences of whom you want to host in your own home or to whom you want to let your house, and still be a good person. Plurality of opinion and taste is also a sign of tolerance, and you for sure could not tag the badge "tolerant", as you are not tolerant to people with other preferences, while I am sure you would tag it: that much about the value of such tags.

I don't want heavy drinkers here. I don't want gun fetishists. I don't want sado-maso couples who ruin my beds with their chains and the peace of my neighbours with their crys of pain, but I wouldn't care about their private sexual orientation and tastes while they don't affect me and my surroundings. Oh, I do accept meat eaters allthoug I am a vegetarian, you know. But maybe a vegetarian guest would prefer to stay in a home without heavy barbeque smell every afternoon? We truly need a badge "accept meat eaters", "no vegetarians accepted".

We cannot rule and tag and badge everything and should stay to the basic.

We don't give a **bleep** about sex, race or sexual orientation.

We simply don't care about that, because thats not our business.

Either everyone is welcome or no one.

Paul0
Level 10
Brunswick, Australia

@Daniel33 - I appreciate and understand the sentiment although your examples are a little alarmist in nature. I was looking to kick off a conversation, the 'tag idea' was, as indicated before, a discussion point on the old Groups platform. I wasn't suggesting it as THE only solution.

@Paul0

Hi Paul,

Thankyou ou for bringing something up that I've been wondering how to go about achieving.

I would very much like to let people from the lgbtiq and other minority groups 'know' that without doubt, they will be welcome and safe when they stay with me. I would like them to know that from the moment that they book with me.

I'd like to think that if Airbnb did have such badges available to their hosts for them to use, that they could be lost if persons staying felt that they weren't actually welcome.

Just wanted to voice my opinion, and thank you again for bringing this up.

kindest regards,

Deborah.

Loving the Airbnb community and it’s diversity❣️

@Deborah82, add a profile pic with a rainbow flag. No need to say anything more. Guests will think you are gay and book. If you don't want them to think that you are gay (I don't know if you are or not and you don't want to raise false hopes), only ''friendly'', pose as a straight couple with said flag to avoid confusion.

If you are gay and want people to know that, filter a rainbow through your profile photo. I have seen that done a lot.