cancellation

Boo1
Level 3
Okayama, Japan

cancellation

one time a year we have summer school at our house, and we have our airbnb for teachers to stay, This year I want to expend it to 3 weeks but we have 1 guest staying 1 night.

I have cancel guest once when we have to renovate our house one time, and I hate to do that even thought it 4 months ahead the plan.

This time also its 4 months ahead, Do I have any options to offer our guest more than saying sorry? for example I will pay for the fee if guest cancel the reservation.

Or maybe I have no choice and have to cancel them? Thinking hard, if any suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks

11 Replies 11
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Boo1

well,y ou probably know if you cancel you will be punished with 50$ , this day will be blocked, you will not be able to get or keep superhost status for a year and it will be written on top of your reviews.

if your guest cancel he will lose service fee.

If you agree that your guest cancel on your behalf he will get his service fee but you will be punished the same as you canceled by yourself.

The best option would be that he cancels and you send him money to cover his service fee . 

Thank you very much @Branka-and-Silvia0 I guess there are no way out of it.  

All those penalty I am ok with it just that I don`t want to lost my range in search. Is it effect it?

@Boo1

cancelation will affect your commitment rate which is important for superhost status. I don't think it should affect your search rating. Here is the link on how the search algoritham works :

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Hosts/Research-data-released-What-impacts-ranking/m-p/354872#M80615

but for just one day the service fee your guest has to pay is probably just few €, did you ask him to cancel?

Thanks for informations @Branka-and-Silvia0

I asked, She doesn`t want to cancel unless I do it from my side.

@Boo1 

hjaoo... how I hate when people complicate for few euros..... specially when you would refund her anyway... 

I am sorry to ask again.

Now my guest can help by cancel but how can i offer her the cost of cancelation by airbnb? If I can I would want to do it.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Boo1

Hi Boo, I take it you have explained to the guest your situation? I would ask the guest if it would be possible to work with Airbnb to fine another sutable listing for her. This does not meet the criteria for extenuating circumstances but if the guest agrees with your proposal there is every chance Airbnb will work with both of you to find a suitable alternative that the guest will be happy with and which won't penalise you for cancelling.

Give it a try...see how you go.

Cheers.....Rob

Thank you so much every one!!

Finally we have an agreement, I felt sorry for her, she said she have 2 host trying to cancel her stay. (including me)

She offer me to buy her internet card and sent it to her to cover the cost, Which I will be happy to.

I am relief that the case is solve.

but I felt sorry for her and realize that ABB is unlike Hotel that will never cancel guest!

Thanks again.

This comunity is very helpful.

Boo

@Boo1, I looked at your listing and you have a  "moderate"  cancellation policy in place.

I understood you to say that now the guest has agreed to cancel - so there actually are no service fees involved for the guest! ( Airbnb has apparently just changed their rules on that, which now makes things a whole lot easier and hassle free .) So your  guest should simply cancel, no fees  - and everybody will be happy! Just go check on your own page , have your guest also look at it as well  , as you'll see this now clearly under your cancellation policy:

Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 11.09.29 PM.png

they just need to make sure to cancel your place first -  and only after that select another lodging:

Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 11.10.21 PM.png

Just tell your guest this - Good luck, hope that solves your problem!

@Annette33

thanks for posting this news, I noticed it yesterday but I didn't think about it . That is great!

The only thing that concerns me in Boos case is the part where it says that ABB fee will not be refunded if any days overlaping with previous reservation.

Does it mean that her guest will not be refunded with service fee if the guest cancel her stay and book another place for the same period?

I supose ABB wants to make cancelations easier for guests who have to cancel the trip for whatever reason except if they found another, cheaper or better place to stay or because the host has double booking (And that's understandable)

@Branka-and-Silvia0, looks to me like the key word is "cancel BEFORE" and "not overlap with an EXISTING" reservation, so clearly, the cancellation has to come first, then there is no more existing reservation and the guest is free to do whatever (3 times a year). so I think it works!

Hey, I feel like giving Airbnb some credit, that they are working on certain situations to make life easier. so this helps, and perhaps that dreaded scenario with pushing a cancellation on the host will disappear.....