Pricing question

Caroline210
Level 2
West Covina, CA

Pricing question

Hi, I am Caroline. I listed my first property at the end of September and started to host in October. Encouraged by the many inquiries and a few bookings, In the past month, I have put a lot efforts into it, getting new furnitures and nice mattress, buying towels and bedding, putting new decorations, buying new coffee machines, iron set, hair dryer, setting up backyard as playground, getting cables, etc. I had 5 bookings and hosted two groups of guests in October, both left with great reviews.However, going to the second month, the business is completely dead. For about 10 day period, I got only one inquiry, which turned into booking, but only for 1 day and for 10 people.

I turned on instant booking, changed my policy to allow one day booking almost any time, checking almost all amenities... Nothing worked. I tried to lower price significantly, not working. Then I tried to increase price thinking that my right audience might have their price starting point higher, not working.

One thing really puzzled me is that when I tried to set the price low for 2 people, and set extra charge for each additional person, when guests booking it, they see the price for the number of guests the book, but the price rule still shows $20 per person per night for additional guests after 2, that is misleading since the price has already reflected the additional charges.

Extra people for the listing is a lot work: moving beds, making beds, bathroom essentials, breakfast, washing sheets and bedding so I do feel it is important not to charge same for 2 people or for 12 people.

That is why I really want to keep the price low for less people, but is there anyone who knows how to adjust the setting so the price rule could show the right message?

16 Replies 16

In Nashville, I am almost fully booked April Thhru october.  November is tumbleweeds...only 6 days booked so far.  

You might want to investigate VRBO for larger groups with a 2-4 week minimum.

i would never rent for less than 2 days...too much work if that becomes a habit with people.

I was booked all summer Oct hit and got one person for 3 weeks which helped, but now it’s dead? Not sure why? I’d like to meet others in my area? Anyone in so Calif.  San gab valley? Norma