Pets on the Property

Christina99
Level 3
Columbia Heights, MN

Pets on the Property

I have two little dogs that live in my space, but to be honest if you didn't see me outside with them you would never know they are there. I have a completely separate apartment on the second floor that I've been renting on air bnb for the past 10 months. I replaced the carpet before I started hosting in July 2016 and the dogs have never been allowed upstairs as I want to keep the area pet fur free. Is there a formal definition of what pets on property really means? It would be nice if air bnb could define this as I think it is confusing and might give guests the impression that my dogs roam free everywhere.

Now I see it is a requirement from air bnb for being business ready - although it is not listed anywhere in the actual definition of business ready. I haven't traditionally listed that there are pets on the property because I'm worried that people will get the wrong impression. But the flip side is I don't want to make anyone mad.  Thoughts?

10 Replies 10
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Christina99

if you rent whole apartment with separate entrance and you live in another apartment in the same building or house than there are no pets on property. Property in this case means the apartment you rent.

It would be different if you rent a room in your apartment or house and you share some spaces (hallway, kitchen, bathroom, livingroom...) with your guests

that makes sense, @Branka-and-Silvia0 , if only it  were so: I rent out a separate apt. from our living quarters, but in terms of full disclosure, when I set up my listing, I checked "cats live on the property", property to me being the whole complex, my living quarters and the apartment, though the animals are definitely not at the apartment. I didn't have the nerve to deny that we have pets.

Last week I found at the bottom of my house rules, done by Airbnb:

You must also acknowledge : cats lives in the house - which easily creates the wrong impression in guests' minds, as if the cats were at the apt.!

Luckily, this week, that already has been changed again, back to a notation under space: Pet owner- cats.  and  on mobile it is back to saying at the bottom: 2 nights min.- pets live on the property.  I can live with that, once more recognizing that things change every 5 minutes.

Regina38
Level 10
Wilmington, DE

I asked about this when I first started hosting. Airbnb told me if the pet is contained in the apartment and does not roam the hallways or have access to the separate apartment you still qualify for Business Ready badge. I asked because I was considring renting one of my apartments to a neighbor who had a cat.

But how do you do that?  I have a separate entrance and my pets are not allowed in my basement nor are they allowed to "roam the hallways,." and I make sure to note this in my description.  But dogs/pets still need to go outside at some time and the possibility that guests and pets will meet is real.  If I don't list them, and gain business ready status and ABB is ok with that?  - that seems deceptive to me.

This is where I had a problem, too. Pets aren't in the guest's sleeping area, but they might see them out in the yard. I had one guest who hid behind her husband when she encountered my Mom's little (harmless) dog in the yard, even though it's listed in my description. Had I not disclosed the dog, I think it would be reasonable for a dog-phobic person to be upset.

The other thing that gave me pause is that my whole house uses the same HVAC system. I wonder how many hosts advertise a pet-free place with bonus airborne-allergens.

Marilyn66
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

I listed my pets as on the property but in a private area.  As you get to be a senior allergies intensify and a slight allergy to a pet even touching, or sharing laundry with someone with a pet can set off a reaction as can perfumes, etc.  So if someone has an extreme allergy and they get sick "you did not notify" and as far as I am concerned is a liability. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

so... if the apartment is in the building with 10 other tenants and one of them has a dog, use the staircase and elevator then it should stay "pet lives on property" ?

If someone has a strong alergy means he will react even on the street or in the park where dogs are passing by?! so what is next? If my neighbourgh down the street has a dog I have to mention it ????  😄 hjaooo... it just shows me how people today are detuched from the nature and from reality... when did humans become so picky , sensitive, so affraid of everything and so spoiled? 

Susan10
Level 9
Elkton, MD

In my opinion this is where ABB fails.  I have pets as well and ABB tells me I'm not business ready.  And yet 90% of my reservations are indeed business travelers who are also booking long term with me.  I have even had several tell me how glad they were to hear and see my pets - that is was refreshing for them.    What do they want me to do?  Give away my pets so that I can be business ready? 

In an era where therapy dogs are increasing and gaining in popularity; where businesses themselves have bring your pet tow work days; when many business also have de-stress sessions for their employees and are inviting these therepy dogs to work....

I would not let the "business ready" label bother you too much.  It is also mind boggling that they only consider instant booking to be business ready.

I think there should be different requirements for those properties listed where the homeowner does not live there and those properties listed where the homeowner is actually still living in the home.  There should be separate division for those properties that are incredibly expensive to rent and not meant for the average traveler. 

We live in the main house on our property, and rent out a 2 bedroom apartment over our detached garage. The apartment has its own private entrance, parking, deck and walkway to the beach. We have three dogs on OUR property that don't access the apartment area at all. However, I do fully disclose that we have three dogs, and that they will see you as you pass by our property (the walkways are next to each other like all beach properties, but being on one lot they are closer together). And when they see you they will greet you the first few times.

My dogs are very friendly, occassionally bark when you walk past until they are shusshed. and nearly every single one of my guests has stopped to pet them and speak with them on their way by. In fact, a few have even asked if they can take them for walks on the beach.

I guess my point is that I felt it was better to fully disclose the presence of my dogs so that guest would know ahead of time what to expect. I figured it was better to disuade a guest from booking my property if they are afraid or dislike dogs rather than deal with upset guests or receive negative reviews. 

I would include your dogs in your description, and offer a full disclosure description of when, if, and where your guests might run into them. 

Best of luck!

I list the pets in several places on my listing and they are also in my information sheet that I provide in the apartment. I've had several inquiries about cats but no concerns about dogs and I will freely offer it up if someone asks. It was more a concern about how air bnb defined pets on the property. I usually don't have issues with running into guests because my hours are so different. Most of the time I don't even see the guests.  Thanks for everyone's input I really appreciate it.