My guests chipped the granite counter top.

Robin53
Level 4
United States

My guests chipped the granite counter top.

They checked out while I was off site and texted to thank me for the great weekend, but said nothing about the chip.  Not at all sure what to do.  Been hosting 6 years and this is the second time a guest hasn't admitted to damage.  The first time the guy acting like I was crazy.  Help!

4 Replies 4
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Robin53

First you need to ask them about the damage and see if they will admit/pay for a repair.

second: if not then to try and claim on your security deposit you need to prove they did the damage.

Thank you for the reply.  How would I prove it?  

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Robin53

That's terrible luck for you to strike that but then again, if it's only your second in 6 years and over 300 hostings then you have had a reasonable run!

Unfortunately disputes are ugly.

As @Gerry-And-Rashid0 say if you can get the guest to admit to the damage then you are half way there, but that will be unlikely because they already would have admitted it to you if they were going to accept responsibility. The fact that they have ignored it means they will argue that the damage was already present when they arrived and that it was nothing to do with them!

The first step is to document the damage!

Before another guest arrives take photos of the damage and then at least they can't argue that it was subsequent to their departure.

Idealy you do need strategic 'before' photos of your listing prior to each guests arrival, not so much for this situation (although it would have been helpful) but to prevent that ever rising trend of guests claiming the listing was not cleaned and not fit to stay in and have the money for their stay returned to them. A date stamped photo stands up better in a dispute than the keenest memory!!

The second step is to get onto the guest and ask for an explanation as to how the benchtop was damaged and ask them to accept resposibility, maybe include a photo of the damage with the date of the photo present.

If that fails to get a satisfactory response get onto the Resolution Centre through you listing page and through that reservation where it says 'Request money from the guest' that will get you where you need to go!

It may be a battle Robin but get a picture of the damage and get onto the Resolution Centre.........Damage Claim.png

What I have said here Robin is for damage of a more major nature that could conceivably require replacement of the benchtop. Where some thousands of dollars are required and a claim is actually worth pursuing!

In more minor instances, hey, we have black granite benchtops in our main house kitchen and I did put a small chip in it once when I accidentally dropped a cast iron pot onto it. I got some epoxy resin and just filled the chip to the point where it would need an incredibly good set of eyes to ever see it!

I know it's damage @Robin53 but if it is minor it would really not be worth pursuing because you are a bit behind the '8 ball'!! If Airbnb sides with the guest they look good and get future business from the guest and the guests mouth.

If they side with the host ABB look bad, and cut off any further business with that guest....and ABB do not want to look bad to guests.....

Work it out for yourself, you can see which way they are going to go, given the opportunity!! I hope you can get it sorted out..

Cheers.....Rob

Thank you for such a lengthy and helpful response.  I decided to let it go - like you said two mishaps in 6 years is pretty good odds.  Thanks for the tips.  ~Robin