Pets on property vs. pets allowed in listing

Zoe34
Level 7
Columbia, MO

Pets on property vs. pets allowed in listing

Hi all!  I have had this question in inquiries AND instant booking a lot lately:  "I see you have pets on your property, yet your listing says no pets are allowed in the Airbnb.  Can I bring my small dog?"

Am I wrong in thinking that a pet in my own personal home is very different than another guest bringing a pet to my Airbnb listing?  It is a completely separate living area, upstairs from my home.  My thought is that it will take much longer to clean the space (dog hair, possible stains, etc.) if there are pets there.  

Thoughts?

3 Replies 3
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Zoe34

It IS a completely different matter and owning a pet might even be the very reason why you do not accept pets.  I find it hard to understand that pet owners do not get the message. 

I take pets in my holiday home and there has never been any real issues.  I provide throws for the funiture and a vacuum cleaner with a turbo brush for pet hair and ask the guests to get rid of all traces of pet hair before they depart. They do - it works ! But it all depends on the rental of course - my place is furnished and equipped with children and pet owners in mind.

Pet friendly rentals can be very hard to find, so pet owners are usually easy to make obey.

@Zoe34There are so many issues with letting people bring pets. The first being that you have to charge a bigger deposit and cleaning fee. You have to let all of your guests know that there have been pets in the space because other guests might be allergic. We rented a place in Austin and when we got in I smelled dog right away and found long black hairs on the bedspread. We asked to be rehomed immediately, were fully refunded and booked elsewhere, and she lost 5 days bookings and fees.

I also co-host for a neighbor when he travels and he and I agreed to check "no pets" but people totally bring them anyway. I know immediately if there has been a dog, obviously. I leave the guests negative feedback but usually don't file a claim against the deposit. I wouldn't know how to prove the dog was there. Take a photo of my allergic reaction face? Take a photo of the dog hair I rollered off the sofa? How do you prove dog smell? So far they haven't destroyed anything, or peed on the rug, so we've been lucky, but I have to extra clean everything to make sure all traces of the pet are gone for the next guests and hope they don't have severe allergies.

Also, I think you were the one who is about to have a baby, yeah? People that bring loud, barking dogs will probably wake the baby up and then everyone will be miserable.

@Todd-and-Reese0 Hi Reese,

Thanks for your response!  No, I am not the one having a baby 🙂 But I completely agree - it comes down to the cleaning for sure, pet hair all weaved into the couch, allergies, etc.  And the smell!