Over $30K of AIRBNB rentals in 2015, NO 1099 sent??? How do we get one reissued?

John76
Level 2
Rochester, NY

Over $30K of AIRBNB rentals in 2015, NO 1099 sent??? How do we get one reissued?

This is all very frustrating... I see the AIRBNB tax summary for the year, but no actual 1099K form has been sent?
I can't file without the 1099 form.... How do we get this (re) issued????

15 Replies 15
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@John76 Airbnb has changed its procedure for this year.  They are no longer sending 1099's but rather 1099K's to hosts who have earned $20K or more (which you certainly did)  AND had 200 or more payouts.  Did you meet the second requirement?  If not, you will have to self report your income. 

I have 268 payouts for the year... My accountant indicates I need the 1099K... How do I get it issued??/

@John76 You need to contact Airbnb directly on this.  The fastest way to connect with them is through @airbnbhelp on twitter.  If that's not an option, here are other, not quite as good, means of contacting Airbnb:

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Tips-Tricks/Contact-Airbnb-A-How-To-Guide/m-p/16165/highlight/false#...

If it turns out that a 1099K is available on your Airbnb account, would you please let me know where it can be found?  Since I don't qualify, it wouldn't be there for me.  

Thanks, Clare

hey @John76 just wanted to let you know there is an EASIER way to get your 1099 like I did.  All you have to do is log in to your account and click on your account to ACCOUNT SETTINGS and choose Pay Out History.  Scroll to the bottom and you will see your 1099 and choose PRINT.

@Clare0  ALL 1099 for all hosts are available ON EVERYONE"S account.  It actually doesnt' matter what you made or how many payouts you have.   (some will probably need a printer, but you can always print from anywhere...including a friends house.)

I had mine in 30 seconds.  hope this helps you.

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

@Momi0 Not there for me.  Don't have Payout History, only Transaction History, but no 1099 of any kind there.  What am I missing?

My bad @Clare0

Its under PAYOUT PREFERENCES....I just checked again.  (at least I was 99% correct in WHERE to look...lol)

Account settings, Payout Preferences...scroll to the bottom, and you will see the link that says "click on this to see your tax summary information to file your taxes'  

@John76  this should help you.....all you have to do is provide that.  

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

I can see all of the detail including the summary, but there is no IRS
1099 form available.   It's an official IRS form called a 1099K... It is
not available to print, email, or have forwarded.  At least not on my
account.

People have asked me to contact AIRBNB as I SHOULD have it availble.
Multiple requests have gone unanswered...  So far... This company SUCKS for
Customer Service...

With over 250 guests booked last year alone, you wouldn't think it would be
this difficult...  AIRBNB.... WAKE UP!!?!?!?!?!

@John76 oh, so sorry to hear that. Yes they should have it available to you (not me 'cause I don't qualify) as most companies do.  Did you try contact through twitter?

@Lizzie0 Is there any way you can help John?

I have no access to Twitter but have sent multiple requests on line.... The next step will be the 800 numbers which have a terrible reputation.... I'll keep trying, but frankly.... I can't continue to do business like this... Two properties, 5 star ratings, over $30K last year alone and this has been an awful experience for what should be a simple request... I'm ready to toss it all out the window and make it very public....

Lisa7
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@John76 Don't worry. Take a deep breath. Call Airbnb directly. It doesn't take that long to get to a real person. (See here: https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Tips-Tricks/Contact-Airbnb-A-How-To-Guide/m-p/16165)

It's going to be OK. You'll get this sorted out. 

You might consider creating a Twitter account just for things like this. I have an account just to reach out to companies' customer service. 

Ok.... So thanks to all who have offered to assist. I finally set aside 45 minutes for a call to AIRBNB.  They noted that there were actually quite a few challenges with folks 1099's this year.  She transferred the problem to someone in their tax department and I THINK they are going to issue the form.

So.... It's not on-line as it should be. The hard copy apparently didn't go out... But... They are going to attempt to fix it. 

A very frustrating sense of Customer Service, but once I got the agent she was actually very competent.

Again, I appreciate the assist.

@John76 Holy Cow!  Was your hard copy not sent or everyone's who should have received one?  If the latter, they better be prepared to answer a lot of complaints!  Thanks for the update. 

Last year the 1099s were made available for hosts to print from their accounts page, real simple. This year things seem to have gone really bad on a couple of levels, No 1099s, No text messages, missed bookings, are they growing too fast or catering to a crowd I'm not part of. I always thought I'd ride the Airbnb craze till they carsh and burn...must be getting close. In my company, we are required to send out 1099s to everyone who earned more than $600. The airbnb threashold seems pretty high at $20K.

Sorry, but that simply is not true. NOT everyone recieved a 1099. You mayhave, but not everyone else did. That's the point.  

I actually just realized this five minutes ago. I'd left the link to the tax info on my languishing on my dashboard waiting to do our taxes, then clicked on it to find nothing but a summary. Not quite sure why airBNB has set such a high threshhold of number of  payouts (what has that got to do with anyting?).

I hope my accountant is okay with just this summary