Guest wants to cancel - but airbnb isn't responding!

Guest wants to cancel - but airbnb isn't responding!

A guest booked, but wanted to cancel shortly after. The reservation was over a month away at the time of booking. They say they have requested cancel but have had no response from airbnb. I have no problem with them cancelling with minimal or no charge, as long as it is processed very soon, otherwise it may affect potential future bookings.

I have also received no cancellation request?

How can I expedite this process? I don't want a bitter taste to be left in the guests mouth about either myself, or Airbnb. Also, I can't find for the life of me any contact button or avenue to get in touch with airbnb! 

Help please! I have spent so much time messaging this guest now with no resolution it is getting very frustrating for both of us.

(also newish here, so excuse me if there is an obvious answer to this question!)

L

3 Replies 3
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Lukas16  It is not clear to me what has been the timing of the guest cancellation process - hours, or days?  Anyway, it is best for you to let the guest take all the steps to cancel.  You do not want to agree to the cancellation request even though you do because it appears that when a host agrees to the cancellation request, the host is then penalized as if the cancellation was initiated by them.  Doesn't make sense.  All of this is an automated process.  If you need more contact information, there is a community guide on this site (second listing under Discuss) with all the ways to contact Air BNB.  Good luck!!

All good - resolved. Thanks 🙂

Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Lukas16,

The guest should just tap or click on "Change or Cancel" and then "Cancel" when they are viewing their reservation with you.

That way they cancel the reservation. They will be refunded, by Aribnb, according to your cancellation policy.

They will loose whatever fee Airbnb charged them over and above your room charge.

Be very wary of cancellation requests. If you receive a communication saying that the guest has requested a cancellation always respond with "Decline". If you accept it you will be deemed to have cancelled and you will be penalised just the same as if you had initiated the cancellation. It's a  very sneaky ploy by Airbnb. Your dates will be blocked, you may be fined and a "The host cancelled this reservation ..." review will be placed on your listing.

I'm a host. What penalties apply if I need to cancel a reservation?

For info on contacting Airbnb type "phone" in the "Search the community" box on the page where you see these questions and answers. You can also type "contact airbnb" there and pick the "Contact airbnb: A Community Help Guide" article that has the phone numbers, Twitter details and how to contact them via the website. There is no email address.

Steve.