What should a long-term rental include?

Kristen75
Level 1
Maine, United States

What should a long-term rental include?

Hi, I'm a new host to Airbnb and I'm wondering what others include when they have a long- term rental (3months).  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance. 

Kristen 

3 Replies 3
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

My first thought is a proper contract.

David
Jann3
Level 10
Santa Rosa, CA

A full reading of what your state considers "tenants" is in order...

Be very careful...

@Kristen75 I think @David126 and @Jann3 offer great advice - especially since (in the U.S.) the guest may be able to gain residency status after a month or so. 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1354/what-are-some-differences-between-long-term-hosting-and-sho...

I'm in Korea so I'm sure the situation will be very different but I'm a new host only 6 months experience and have hosted only 2 guests till now both long term, 1st guest 4 months and 2nd guest 5 weeks, so I kind of know what you are going through.

FYI, my listing is a private guest bedroom+bath so if your listing is a private home then I'm sure there will be other considerations too.  But just to get you started, here are a few things to think about how you would prefer to handle these things with long term guests - in no specific order. 

- What are your thoughts about cleaning/housekeeping (especially bathroom), bed-sheet changes, and towels? Will you send in a cleaner/do it yourself or do you consider this the guest's responsibility for the 3 month duration? Will you provide clean bedsheets and towels regularly (host does the laundry) or will provide clean sheets and towels at check-in but expect guests to wash them as needed? 

- Guest laundry (for clothes)? Is there a separate washer/dryer? Any possiblity of misuse? 

- Amenities like shampoo, soap, toilet paper. Will you provide throughout the guest's 3 month stay, or just provide basics for a couple days to start and expect them to supply their own? 

- Is there a way to prevent misuse or excessive use of electricity, the AC, heater, hot water etc. What about security? (Closing and/or locking windows and doors).

- What is your position on guests bringing their own (unregistered) guests (to entertain or as overnight guests)

- If you have shared spaces (between host and guest), like the yard or kitchen or lounge area, what are your expectations? 

Some of these are the same for all guests, regardless of whether they are long term or short term, but long-term guests may feel differently about (for example) entertaining their own friends or family compared to short-term guests so it may be tricker to handle guest expectations. 

Good luck~!!! 

P.S. I see you are in Maine :-)))

I spent a few years in Orono when I was in pre-school (I don't really remember much). I really want to go back to where we used to live when I was little. Hopefully....I'll manage to make it over there someday!!