BANK HOLIDAY !!!!!!! What are the brits talking about?

Shaun69
Level 10
Hurstpierpoint, United Kingdom

BANK HOLIDAY !!!!!!! What are the brits talking about?

Hi Folks,

I keep being asked by our guests from North America what is a bank holiday. Well we are having one this weekend and to cut a long story short it means that our country has a three day break Saturday, Sunday and Monday. It is always a busy time for hosts as lots of people visit family and and try to get away for a few days "subject to the weather" to unwind! Personally it is one of the few times a year "that her that has to be obeyed" allows me to open a bottle of carrabean rum and pretend I am back in my youth!!!

3 Replies 3
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

It is actually a Bank Holiday in the US, they just use different names. Memorial day is the one tomorrow.

The main difference is that there are also Holidays that might be Bank in the sense they are closed but seem to be otherwise ignored, and I have not realised it was Easter a few times.

David
Shaun69
Level 10
Hurstpierpoint, United Kingdom

Hi David,

Thanks for the heads up! Just proves how little I know about US holidays, I promise to clue up on them!

Regards Shaun

Willow3
Level 10
Coupeville, WA

Don't you mean...

"what are they on about?"

🐵

And really, bank holiday is pretty self explanitory... though I guess many whippersnappers have never stepped foot into a bank, and thus have no idea what "banker's hours" are either.  In the age of 24 hour online banking, we've got to come up with new terms!